“Hamburger heroin”

Swensons North Akron Drive-In Restaurants
Ranked #1 of 479 Restaurants in Akron
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Takeout
Description: Home of the award-winning Galley Boy! Friendly curb runners serving up fresh, never-frozen burgers, shakes, & crispy extras since 1934!
OHIO
“Hamburger heroin”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Their burgers are addictive! The Galley Boy is a scintillating combination of salty and sweet. The milkshakes are delicious. I can't recommend it enough.

• Visited May 2013
3 Thank KHIA213

Fort Wayne, Indiana
“Old Fashioned Great Customer Satisfaction!”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

On a road trip recently we were getting hungry and still needed to drive about 6 hours so we looked for a local place to eat--we avoid chains as much as possible! Driving through the Akron area we ventured in to the city a little and off the highways/beaten path to get a meal. I looked up TA reviews for the area and I really wanted a BLT. Swensons looked like they had one as well as a pretty unique and varied menu. It is located on a slightly busy road and is an old fashioned drive up place like the old root beer stands back in the day. Immediately upon pulling in a server (neatly dressed, clean and all of them wearing the same uniform) came RUNNING up to our window to take our order! We explained we were not from the area and wanted a menu and some ordering advice. He said they were local and had several locations in the Akron area and were known for LaBron James coming there to get their "Galley Boy" double cheeseburger. I got my BLT and great onion rings and my husband got the Galley Boy. We finished with their flavor of the season--blueberry shake/malt. The food was very good--but the service is what impressed us! They literally ran to and from your car and back to the kitchen to place the orders which were yelled out to the cooks. If a car came in--whoever was closest ran to them to take the order and repeat it back fast and fluently to the customer. (It was great to see them not standing around not wanting to wait on you if you were not in their "station".) They all work as one and even share all the tips, as we learned from the girl server who picked up our tray when we turned on our headlights to go. The menu includes phosphates, and potato teezers and malt can be added to any shake. Old Fashioned friendly great service at it's best! We will stop in again if we are in the area! Keep up the great work Swensons!

1 Thank thistrip
Louisville, Kentucky, United States
“Flashback with a side of speed!”
Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

Have you ever seen a waitperson run to greet you? We did here and it was very fun. The burgers were yummy as were the fried zucchini, tater tots, and fries. Only thing that we didn't expect was them being so fast at drop off that they gave the food and ran which didn't give us time to tip.

Akron, Ohio
“A classic with great burgers, onion rings and Butterscotch shakes!”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I miss those old style drive-ins where you could order from your car and either eat while there or take your food someplace else. Swenson's took me right back to my childhood.

Great burgers and incredible onion rings, but the butterscotch milkshakes will keep me coming back forever. I've heard about the rivalry with Skyway, but those butterscotch milkshakes have me firmly in the Swenson's corner. I miss the dipped butterscotch on my soft-serve vanilla ice cream cones, and I don't really like store bought butterscotch toppings, so this discovery was fantastic!

The waiters and waitresses are nice kids who run, and I mean run, to your vehicle to take your order. No tip required, but for that effort, I tipped them the couple of times I've eaten there. They deserve it.

• Visited August 2013
“Still yummy after all these years!”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I moved away from Akron 20 years ago and recently visited and had to see if Swensons was still going. It's going strong and just as good as I remembered it.
My husband declared the burgers on par with In and Out burgers. That is high praise. I think Swensons is better. :)

• Visited July 2013