“Newly renovated value play”

Red Roof Inn Akron South
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Akron
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Newly renovated value play”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

After having stayed nearby at a "nicer" place 2x as expensive with extremely slow internet service, I decided to try something else. I just need a clean place to sleep and get cleaned up, and I discovered this Red Roof was recently renovated and half the cost. That's usually a good sign - your room should be in better-than-average condition, and I figured the wifi can't be slower.

It was not slower at Red Roof; it was still slow, but 20% faster than at the other place (rhymes with Campton). The room even had hardwood floors; perhaps they were veneer or even fake, but they seemed nice to me. The bed was quite comfortable, the pillows good, etc.

I did have an initial problem with my room; the privacy deadbolt didn't seem to deploy, and the throw-latch was only loosely secured to the door jamb. I thought I had the door closed, but at an inconvenient moment, I heard the door latch and it sounded like someone tried to get into my room, and nearly did - the door was ajar, the throw-latch barely holding it shut. As it turned out, it was just the wind, and it was caused by too-thick weatherstripping on the door. I was promptly moved to a new room with apologies. The new room was nice too and the door shut as it should.

There's no breakfast here, but there is coffee and Coffeemate creamers.

This place is very nearly a too-good-to-be-true deal, but it's not perfect. The tub plug did not hold water - a slow leak no matter how I jiggled it. There's some noise outside and the walls are not thick (they were thin at the pricier place too, though). The heat/AC unit is somewhat noisy. There's no wired option (ethernet) for internet. My AT&T calling card wouldn't work - for some reason it came up as MCI and didn't recognize the number. Perhaps not their fault - I don't know.

These are minor niggles; the place is really clean, new, warm, and (save for the throw-latch at #328 - probably fixed by now) in excellent condition. Front desk and service staff all show positive, can-do attitudes. You can find a nicer place, to be sure. But I don't think you'll find anything as good as this for the money.

Room Tip: One side faces Wal-Mart, but the curtains block out any parking lot lights. It's not noisy over...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
GeneralManager207, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Akron South, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Please accept my apologies for any of the issues you mentioned. I appreciate your honesty and your feedback in very helpful to us as well as the next guest.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
McDonough, Georgia
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We were a little reluctant to stay at first. Very glad we did. The rooms have been remodeled and are wonderful. The decor is very up to date and I love the laminate flooring with carpet under bed and at enctrance of room. Room was very clean. Room has refrigerator, microwave, safe coffee pot and nice desk area to do work. The only thing this room didn't have was a hair dryer so bring yours from home. Great stay for the price. We had room 221 with the king size bed.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager207, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Akron South, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
I am please to hear of your recent visit to our hotel. Thank you for your kind review and we hope to have you stay with us again if your travels bring you to Akron.
Reviewed February 9, 2013

The new rooms are wonderful, its always a comfortable atmosphere, and the staff are awesome. I will continue to use these hotels on all my trips. I have been using these hotels for years and I've notice the changes that have been made. When u walk into the new rooms you feel like you've walked into a more upscale establishment. The employees always make you feel welcomed, it is just a pleasant experience all the way around.

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you for taking the time you review our hotel. I appreciate hearing the responses our guests have with our new rooms. We are very excited about our renovation and hope you see you again soon.
Cambridge, Ohio
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I was in town for the dog show. I was greeted by Tiffany she had a warm friendly smile. I was actually surprised at the quick and accurate check in!! Then I got to my room with my Great Dane, which also to a liking to Tiffany. I was shocked with how amazing my room was. The free wifi was very useful as I needed directions. The free coffee 24 hours is a nice treat. I have stayed in 4 & 5 star hotels that don't even offer that...all in all my stay was great!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Your review is very much appreciated. I am happy that our new rooms and great service has met your expectations. Thank you and hope to see you and your pet in the near future.
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

I just experienced another great stay at a Red Roof Inn. This time it was Number 207, Akron, OH. I reserved a Business King and I must have got the best room in the place. I stay Red Roof Inns often and I really appreciate the value I receive. The facilities that are getting a "face lift" are gorgeous, and Akron is one of them.

Vanessa, the awesome lady at the check-in desk was professional, friendly and made me feel like family. She took care of me quickly, even though she was having to multi-task with the phone and a couple of other customers. I'll definitely make my way back to this one. Great job Red Roof Inn.

mark

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience. I am pleased to hear that our new rooms and service has made a positive impression. We hope so see you again soon.
Alliston, Canada
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We made a quick trip to Ohio over the weekend to meet up with some friends.. We needed a hotel to stay in but didn't feel like paying out the ying yang to sleep at night. We also needed a place that didn't want to charge another ying yang for our two dogs.
We found all that here... Plus, great prices, free wifi and pets stay free. WHAT?! Awesome!

Rumor has it the Red Roof Inns are cleaning up all their hotels and remodelling the rooms. I had been keeping an eye on this hotel over the past month so we decided to stay here due to all the great reviews. I'm super glad we did!

Staff is awesome, hotel rooms are nice, clean and updated! The hotel on the outside still looks a bit shady but don't let that fool you... the inside is very nice, clean and cozy. We had the superior king and our friends had the two double bed room. We all were impressed!

Great hotel.

Room Tip: If you require a room that is large, chose the superior king.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your kind review. We are all very pleased about our latest renovation and appreciate your help in getting the word out. We hope to see you again soon.
Athens, Ohio
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I stay at the hotel weekly for out of town business. The staff is excellent. Vanessa, Denise, and Tiffany are very friendly and do their job very well. I have never had any problems with check in/out. The rooms are always clean and well equipt.

Room Tip: ask for 1st floor.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind review. I hope that you will choose the Red Roof Inn Akron when your travels bring you back to this area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akron
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#4 of 11 in Akron
Hilton Garden Inn Akron
Fairfield Inn & Suites Akron Fairlawn
Courtyard Akron Downtown
Courtyard Akron Fairlawn
WoodSpring Suites Akron

Been to Red Roof Inn Akron South? Share your experiences!