“this is a pearl of good bakery good to be discovered by more people”

The West Side Bakery
Ranked #10 of 12 Bakeries in Akron
Akron, Ohio
“this is a pearl of good bakery good to be discovered by more people”
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I discovered this bakery years ago and I consider its location at Pilgrims Square a delightful but small shopping center to be rediscovered again. When I visit the art gallery next door I know where to go for a treat. You should not drive westward on West Market past Fairlawn Country Club without stopping at this place There is a small number of seats and tables inside where you will find large amounts of good food for sampling. The owner is there regularly and will talk with you about several topics and most importantly they will make most of what you desire. Inquire about the fruit pies and ask for nut bread and ethnic rolls that might make you wish you were someplace else but Akron. I found the pumpernickle bread to be tasty To fully enjoy the value of this place you should bring two friends and discuss some part of the world that makes you order and consume the bread products with culinary connections over seas in the first place. It is far from being there but the place has some atmostphere. I am glad that it has not become night-time TGIF place. A large seating area might make it inviting to more people at one time but it has more than charm to keep me going back as often as I drive my car to that part of town. They do produce some thick european breads and tasty rolls that can overwhelm you with their taste. The have started to try to promote sandwiches which has its merits. But that makes it less than a bakery. I am not sure about the ethnic origins of this bakery. If you are into walking then I suggest that you select this place as your destintation. I believe that this bakery used to pride itself for being more than just a regular american bread box, Good value with good service and a reasonable set of prices that are affordable for the most part. Atmosphere does set this place off in its own category. There is a regular clientele as people know about this place from many parts of Summit County. Do not miss going there twice a day.

• Visited March 2012

Bradenton Beach, Florida
“cakes too beautiful to eat”
Reviewed April 25, 2012

food is very good, atmosphere is great (local), pricey

Visited March 2012
Akron, Ohio
“I want to like this bakery - I really do.”
Reviewed July 26, 2011

I have to agree with other reviews. The appearance often times far exceeds the quality of the confections here. I have had the experience on more than one occasion of buying a lovely, well-decorated cake, only to take it home and it is very dry and somewhat lacking in flavor.

I really want this place to be great. It is local and there is a shortage of bakeries in Akron, but it is inconsistent and visually deceptive. That being said I have had some good treats from here.

I often begrudgingly take my money 1 mile away to the bakery at the Westside Market where taste and texture do not take a backseat to appearance.

• Visited July 2011
Zanesville, OH
“Stick with the vegan”
Reviewed July 19, 2011

We stopped in this bakery while visiting Akron for school business. My daughters and sister enjoyed their vegan desserts this past Spring when having dinner at Vegeteranean. One dtr is vegetarian. They were surprised how good the vegan desserts were! Hence our stopping there this month. We tried their conventional desserts,cupcakes,cookies,scones.(shared with family at home) We were disappointed. The cupcakes were absolutely beautiful, but except for the strawberry cupcake, they were bland. The cookies and scones were nothing special. the Chocolate/white mousse dessert was uneventful. This place was not worth the calories or the schlep. I'm saving up for Servati's in Cincinnati!!!!

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank College-Schlepper

Been to The West Side Bakery? Share your experiences!