“Radisson was pleasant and convenient”
Review of Rodeway Inn

Rodeway Inn
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Akron
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Radisson was pleasant and convenient”
Reviewed May 13, 2007

We didn't experience any of the problems that some of the previous reviewers had (maybe they were tied to the renovations?). The Akron Radisson was pleasant and conveniently located downtown -- we walked to several bars and restaurants. The parking garage was not at all hard to find. The staff were very pleasant, and the room was fine -- typical of a Holiday Inn Express/Sheraton Four Points type room.

My only complaint is that the wireless signal was weak (about 20% strength) up on the eighth floor, so I had to move around the room a few times to reconnect. Otherwise, everything was great.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank radiofreenewport

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
La Canada Flintridge, CA
Reviewed March 31, 2007

I have stayed here 3 times in the last 6 months not because it is my favorite hotel, but because it is the closest hotel to the federal courthouse, which is an easy 1.5 block walk away. I don't know how much this a function of the market in Akron, but the room rate is very good, so its a good value, particularly if you just need a clean place to sleep and won't be spending a lot of time in it.

The biggest shortcoming of this hotel is that there is no ability to get food anytime in the evening. The first time I stayed here, I arrived from the airport at 10 pm and had not eaten in about 8 hours. I was told at check in that the restaurant was closed and there was no room service available. Moreover, the hotel apparently does not anticipate that hotel guests checking in late may need to order food, and had no arrangements with local restaurants or other hotels to provide any level of service after 10 pm. The check in clerk simply pointed up the street and suggested I find the closest open restaurant, which was turned out to be a sports bar about 8-9 blocks away (which I walked in 15 degree weather at 10:30 pm) through a mixed downtown area with a lot of shuttered storefronts, and some sketchy looking characters loitering on the streets. (In fairness, I may be overstating the sketchy character part, but I was by myself, freezing cold, and downtown Akron is totally dead at night, and the streets are not particularly well lit). Now when I stay here, I pick up food in the airport terminal before heading to the hotel. I think they should at least have a food delivery service available for guests for who are not able to get to the restaurant during their open hours.

Another oddity is that some of the rooms have a full sized jacuzzi right in the room (right next to the bed). Its not my thing, but I could see some people might like that.

In terms of positives, the free wireless internet access is a plus. It is a strong signal and easy to connect. The rooms are also generally clean and adequate. Some of them have the sleep number beds. The televisions are old style TV's and small for a hotel room (probably 30-32" sets), as are the desks. The furniture is functional.

Overall, its a good value and you pretty much get what you pay for. Other than the lack of any food options in the evening, I have no complaints and if you are looking for a cheap place to stay with no frills, this is a good place.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
7 Thank mike-lcf
Milwaukee
Reviewed February 21, 2007

As others have described, the parking garage is a fright. There's almost no place to park on the same level as the hotel entrance. The spaces are small, there's construction and snow melt was pouring in at several places.

There seem to be both renovated and non-renovated rooms acording to people in our group. I had a renovated room and it was actually quite nice but do the people that design them ever actually stay in them? The easy chair was OK but there was no place near it to set a book, a magazine, a snack or a drink. The TV was in a fairly nice armoire with three roomy drawers. However it didn't slide out far enough or swivel enough so it could be seen from the desk. The desk has a good lamp with an outlet for your laptop. Plus the wireless internet worked and worked well. The bathroom is extremely small. The tub/shower and toilet are in their own little room. Just outside is the vanity and a closet. The vanity is very small as is the closet. The closet does have that rarity in modern hotels -- normal sized, wooden hangers with normal sized hooks.

As far as amenities there's a coffee pot with both coffee and tea bags plus a small bottle of water (no charge) . There's also an iron and ironing board. Besides soap and shampoo there's hand lotion, conditioner, a shower cap and a shoe cloth.

My major problem was with the housekeeping. They would kind of straigten out the bedding, replace the towels and vacum the middle of the room (you could tell it was only lthe middle because if the desk chair was left out in the room, it was in the exact same spot after they were done. The glasses I used on Thursday when I checked in hadn't been replaced yet on Sunday when I checked out. Same story with the toiletries -- they weren't restocked the entire stay. Fortunately the first two nights they didn't lock the houskeeping closet so I could get the replcements for what I needed.

• Stayed April 2007
3 Thank Milwaukee.-7
Massillon, Ohio
Reviewed January 28, 2007

Finding the hotel parking lot is the biggest problem that we had with this hotel. Althought the front desk clerk gave us directions, it put us in the opposite end of the parking deck, which was being repaired. (TIP: There are multiple entrances to the parking deck. Go in the one on Mill St, by the Radisson entrance.) The parking deck seems old, and is like a maze, rather than having drives that run in one direction. We were about to exit the parking deck, not seeing the hotel entrance, when the parking deck attendant pointed out that we had drove right by it. Why did we drive by it? Because the parking deck is under the hotel, and there are pillars everywhere down there. So we couldn't see the hotel entrance past the pillars. After backing up, we had to park one level down because there is little parking near the hotel entrance. The parking spaces are very narrow, so watch your doors!

The hotel appeared to be old, yet renovated. We had a jacuzzi room. The room was ok in size, but the bathroom area was very small. They also forgot to put 2 bars of soap in. So we had to share the sink and shower soap (it was late when we discovered this - that is why we didn't bother going back down to the front desk for another). The shower head was very low, and not comfortable for taller people. The bed was a king with a mattress that electrically modifies the bed comfort. I think it is an air mattress that has 2 chambers, 1 for each side of the bed, controlled by a wired remote that can only be used from one side of the bed. Although we adjusted the mattress, we found it uncomfortable. The heater unit was a bit noisy through the night, which didn't help either. But the worst was the pillows. They looked nice, but practically went flat when lying on them. They were very uncomfortable!

The jacuzzi was not very deep. It was more like 2 bathtubs put together, where 2 people would lie side by side, but facing each other. It was difficult to move around in, but felt good once settled in. It's not the nicest that we have been in.

We did not use the hotel pool, restaurant, or other amenities. We do thank God that we were there on the weekend, because the parking cost $5 per day during the week. And we didn't like that parking deck!

Also, Akron's Childrens Hospital and Akron General Hospital are practically next door. So having a close hotel could be help to those with loved ones in the hospital.

The bottom line is that if you want a decent place to stay in downtown Akron, this is fine. But we think that the cost is too high, and the comfort too low.

Stayed January 2007
6 Thank Buckeye_Traveller
Douglasville,GA
Reviewed December 12, 2006

Upon arrival it was difficult to tell where you had to pull into to check in. The trick was to pull into the parking deck and drive around to the unloading zone in the parking deck. We stayed in room 609 on the 9th floor. We stayed here for my fiancé’s residency interview at the Suma Hospital. It was a great location to get to the hospital and to activities down town. We felt very safe. The room was very clean and staff was very nice. Our remote didn’t work in the room and my fiancé called as I was walking down to get our luggage. The front desk worker had already been up and replaced the remote by the time I was walking up with the luggage…FAST SERVICE! We would stay here again. The room had a Jacuzzi in the room however we didn’t get a chance to use it. The bed was so awesome…We found our sleep numbers! I never slept so nice. I might have to check in to buying one of these beds.

I’m not sure about all the bad reviews below. Nothing looked old or rundown in the rooms or hall. There were no stains or smells. The parking deck looked pretty old…but it’s a parking deck. The restaurant looks nice, however it was overpriced and we didn’t eat there. We went down to the Spaghetti Factory. Downtown was nice. They had place were everyone was Ice Skating and just having a great time.. We are from Georgia and it was so neat to see people just Ice skating out in the square.

My Fiancé’s interview wasn’t over until later and the hotel gave us an extension of check out until 3pm. Normal check out is at noon. This just shows how nice the staff was. I would stay here again anytime.

• Liked — Location and the nice staff
  • Disliked — The parking deck having to get tickets stamped everytime
  • Tips/Secrets — Get a good map for the area
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank Georgian99
ohio
Reviewed December 2, 2006

the hotel was certainly not a 3-4 star hotel. the wallpaper was patched and peeling, the chair in the room was dirty, the furniture was old. the lighting was inadequate. there was a sink in the room, but a very small space for placement of any toilet articles. generally speaking, the room was old and worn out.

• Stayed November 2006
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed June 12, 2006

This hotel is an acceptable place in downtown, but nothing special. On the plus is the comfortable (and adjustable in terms of firmness!) bed and the free wifi access, which I have grown to appreciate since finally buying a laptop. Weirdly, my room had a large jacuzzi built into the sleeping room! Since I never use those anyway, it just took up room and frankly looks weird out there in the middle of the room. The place also looks a little worn. So it's an acceptable choice, but I can't be enthusiastic.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank Douglas D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akron
Courtyard Akron Downtown
Hilton Garden Inn Akron
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cuyahoga Falls
Sheraton Suites Akron/Cuyahoga Falls
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Akron - Fairlawn
Red Roof Inn Akron South

Been to Rodeway Inn? Share your experiences!