“Only Thing Good about this Hotel was the Bed”
Review of Rodeway Inn

Rodeway Inn
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Akron
Erie, Pennsylvania
“Only Thing Good about this Hotel was the Bed”
Reviewed April 27, 2012

I stayed here recently for a conference, and I was extremely disappointed. The rooms are old and stained (just gross--stains on the carpet, on the furniture, everywhere), and the staff were not very helpful. The lobby is dark and dreary and not very welcoming. You need to use a key card to access your floor from the elevator, which is fine--but it only works on certain elevators, depending on which floor you need to get to. The pool and fitness center are on the top floor. When I got up to work out in the morning, my key card wouldn't work to let me up there. When I asked the front desk staff (after waiting in line for almost 20 min since there were so many other people with issues), they simply reprogrammed my card. I tried again and it still wouldn't work (by the way, there aren't stairs leading up to the 20th floor, which I would have happily taken by this point--they weren't connected to the part of the building I was in). I went back to the front desk and they suddenly realized that the floor needed to be unlocked! By the time they actually fixed the issue, I was almost completely out of time to work out before I needed to be at meetings.

I will say, the beds were new and comfortable. The location near my conference was good. But the staff didn't seem to know what they were doing and this hotel needs a lot of work...I would not return.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Emily A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Reviewed March 7, 2012

The property is close to downtown but is very old and not updated. Older picture tube TV, not enough power outlets, dated lamps etc. Its not up to the times

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Shekhar T
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 26, 2012

I was here on business. My room on the nineth floor was ice cold. With the heat on high all night
The room never did get warm. The hot water was only barely warm and too cold to shower in.
Most of the lights in the public areas and restaurant were off. The hallways were around 50 degrees. Find somewhere else to stay. If the rooms went for $15.00 a night I would never stay here or recommend that anyone else stay here.

Room Tip: Demand hot water and lighted hallways and heat.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank R W
Struthers, OH
Reviewed December 23, 2011

I reserved the Ramada Plaza in Akron, OH while attending a conference at University of Akron. Mostly for the convenience since I only live 1 hr away. The room was small but that was not a huge deal. I only needed it to sleep. The room had a horrible smell and the furniture was soiled. The bedding, however, looked clean and comfortable. I looked for some sort of snack and was told that the previous owners took the machines but that I could venture into the city. Took a quick ride, but didn't feel really safe going out alone so I returned to the hotel. The internet connection which was complimentary was slow and stopped. In the middle of the night, I decided to put lights on in case something was crawling around in there. The smell was disgusting. In the morning, I took a shower and decided to dry my hair. The dryer would not work. I tried to plug in my flatiron and it did not work either. The sleep number bed deflated but would not reinflate. I told the desk about the problems and they said they would look into it.
During the day, I was dreading going back to the Ramada so I called to see if I could cancel the 2nd night. They asked the problem and said, "Oh, the electricians said that it was the plug and that it "might" be fixed by the time you return." I asked about the furniture. They didn't seem to know about that problem. Asked to speak to a manager and there was not one on duty. I cancelled but paid for a miserable night. They told me that they would credit me 50%. When I got the bill I was charged tax, parking and they took off 10%. Big deal..... And where else does one park when they stay in a hotel except in the parking lot. I called back 2 other times and was given the run around about being credited for the night of disgust! A manager was supposed to call me back. That was November 3 & 4 and today is December 23rd. I guess I lost!

Room Tip: Don't go there at all!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank SharonOHStruthers_OH
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed October 31, 2011

While the room is OK, the documentation in the room regarding the hotel restaurant says it opens at 6:30AM for breakfast. When going down to the restaurant, it stated 7. However after going to the restuarant it still wasn't open at 7 as stated by the menus that were down by the restaurant. You may have to pay for parking but I expect that from most downtown hotels as space is limited. Most restaurants around the area are open during the daytime only so better getting something away or one the way here.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank azechman
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed October 22, 2011

I stayed here for a conference, and the hotel did a nice job of hosting the event. The room was fine--the bathroom is a bit small, but the sleep number bed makes up for that. Every room in the hotel, conference or otherwise, is really dark. The overhead lighting is very dim, and the gloomy Akron weather didn't do much to make up for it. It made it kind of hard to get work done. Also, the "Business Center" is a joke--one computer with a version of Microsoft so old it couldn't open my Word document. No fax, no copier. However, the internet is free, which is a nice gesture, and the price of my room was extremely reasonable.

My biggest disappointment was definitely the onsite restaurant. I had read that there was free breakfast, which is not true--there is a restaurant that serves a variety of meals, including a 6 dollar continental breakfast. I went to the restaurant on my first morning, at 8:15, because I had a 9am meeting. I figured, hey, 45 minutes should be plenty, yes? Especially since I planned on getting the continental breakfast, which is cereal, fruit, and a muffin. Well, at first, I thought they were closed. There was no one in sight. But several people were eating, so I sat down. It took a full ten minutes before a woman came to my table. I said, I'm in a hurry, can I order the continental breakfast? She said, "Oh, I only get drinks, your waitress will be out soon." Ok. The waitress did not appear for another 15 minutes, and took my order with a serious "I cannot be bothered" attitude. I ordered the continental breakfast, which took another TWENTY MINUTES to gather. I choked down my food in two minutes and rushed to my meeting. I would never go back there--Hattie's cafe down the street is much more pleasant!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank MsJJob
Chennai
Reviewed October 20, 2011

If you have work, particularly attending a conference or an event in John Kinght Center or nearby; there are only two decent hotels to choose. One of them is Ramada Plaza Akron, the other option is far below the average , I experienced both the hotels.
Ramada is going through a renovation, you may want to ask for one of those renovated rooms.
There's nothing great about this hotel, just an average place to stay ! I had requested for a late check-out and the hotel's response was courteous.

Room Tip: Renovated rooms and the rooms facing the downtown !
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akron
Courtyard Akron Downtown
Hilton Garden Inn Akron
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cuyahoga Falls
Sheraton Suites Akron/Cuyahoga Falls
Red Roof Inn Akron South
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Akron - Fairlawn

Been to Rodeway Inn? Share your experiences!