“Fine room, Eat elsewhere”
Review of Rodeway Inn

Rodeway Inn
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Akron
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Fine room, Eat elsewhere”
Reviewed October 22, 2011

I stayed here for a conference, and the hotel did a nice job of hosting the event. The room was fine--the bathroom is a bit small, but the sleep number bed makes up for that. Every room in the hotel, conference or otherwise, is really dark. The overhead lighting is very dim, and the gloomy Akron weather didn't do much to make up for it. It made it kind of hard to get work done. Also, the "Business Center" is a joke--one computer with a version of Microsoft so old it couldn't open my Word document. No fax, no copier. However, the internet is free, which is a nice gesture, and the price of my room was extremely reasonable.

My biggest disappointment was definitely the onsite restaurant. I had read that there was free breakfast, which is not true--there is a restaurant that serves a variety of meals, including a 6 dollar continental breakfast. I went to the restaurant on my first morning, at 8:15, because I had a 9am meeting. I figured, hey, 45 minutes should be plenty, yes? Especially since I planned on getting the continental breakfast, which is cereal, fruit, and a muffin. Well, at first, I thought they were closed. There was no one in sight. But several people were eating, so I sat down. It took a full ten minutes before a woman came to my table. I said, I'm in a hurry, can I order the continental breakfast? She said, "Oh, I only get drinks, your waitress will be out soon." Ok. The waitress did not appear for another 15 minutes, and took my order with a serious "I cannot be bothered" attitude. I ordered the continental breakfast, which took another TWENTY MINUTES to gather. I choked down my food in two minutes and rushed to my meeting. I would never go back there--Hattie's cafe down the street is much more pleasant!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank MsJJob

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Chennai
Reviewed October 20, 2011

If you have work, particularly attending a conference or an event in John Kinght Center or nearby; there are only two decent hotels to choose. One of them is Ramada Plaza Akron, the other option is far below the average , I experienced both the hotels.
Ramada is going through a renovation, you may want to ask for one of those renovated rooms.
There's nothing great about this hotel, just an average place to stay ! I had requested for a late check-out and the hotel's response was courteous.

Room Tip: Renovated rooms and the rooms facing the downtown !
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 16, 2011

Stayed at this hotel one night. Bathroom has mold issues. Heating unit continued to malfunction all night and made a horrible noise. This kept my wife and I up all night. There are three elevators in the hotel but only one seemed operational. After what seemed like five minutes of waiting for the elevator on the nineth floor I started timing and we waited an additional 11 minutes. We asked the staff to help us find a place to grab a drink. After walking by several homeless people and some unlite areas we headed back to the hotel. Staff said everything was Ablock or so away but there was nothing remotely interesting for at least a mile or more away. Please avoid this hotel.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank Radams123

Travelers are raving about these Akron hotels

buffalo,ny
Reviewed October 13, 2011

Just don't go. Was there for a conference and the hotel is disgusting. Needs a major renovation. Bathrooms are gross, dirty, with peeling wallpaper. Furniture looks like it's from the 80's. The whole place looks like it's about to be mothballed.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank scottrn1
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 29, 2011

I stayed here for three weeks while in Akron on Business. Switched to this hotel from a Hampton Inn in Green because they offered a corporate rate. The first week I reserved the Executive Board Room in the lobby and found that it had no WiFi, while the rest of the hotel did. The following week was uneventful, but the third week was miserable. Wednesday night my roof was leaking at 1 AM. I was on the 9th floor of a 20 floor hotel and MY ROOF WAS LEAKING. I'm still praying it was rain water. The next night, the fire alarm went off at midnight and I had to walk down 12 flights of stairs to the plaza only to find out it was a false alarm that THE FRONT DESK CLERK CAUSED!! Even with the discounted rate, this hotel is not worth it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank BuffettPA
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed August 6, 2011

I have never been more disappointed in a hotel then I was here. I was treated rudely at check-in, which is the nicest area of the hotel. The elevators were gross and smelled, the hallways were even worse! You need to hold your breath when you walk through. The room was just as bad. I used the bathroom after putting away my luggage, and there was a ring around the toilet!! When was the last time the bathroom was cleaned?? I took a shower and again, a disappointment. It took 30 minutes for the water to warm up. 30 minutes!! that is absolutely ridiculous! I thought maybe it was just once, but no. All three times I took a shower, I needed to start it 30 minutes before I actually got in. When I brushed my teeth, I had the water running to get it nice a hot, and brown chunks came out of the stink??? I mean come on, I've had enough by now. And then room service..the toilet was cleaned, the towels were replaced, but my bed was not made? what kind of room service does not make a bed. I happened to wake up drenched in sweat because the air conditioning was not working correctly and would of liked my sheets changed...let alone my bed made! The TV is tiny and needs to be updated. The only good thing about this hotel is the in room dining. It is fairly priced and tastes decent. There is also free parking in the garage. The pool was also grungy and cold. I did not get in. This hotel needs a major upgrade and good scrub.

Room Tip: hope for a clean one
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed June 24, 2011

We traveled to Akron for the State Softball Championships in early June. The "official" hotel of the tournament... Quality Inn, was not being very accomodating to the team and especially the fans (group rate was only for the teams, the rest of us were going to have to pay greatly overly inflated prices.) so the AD moved the team to this hotel and we fans followed. A friend from another school who was staying at the "official" hotel stopped by and said that they had wished they had found this hotel as well. They said it was much more conveinent to the tournament site (Firestone Stadium) than the official hotel.

This is an older "downtown" hotel but the service to the team and fans could not have been better. They reserved parking spots out front for the school vans and those who stay at the hotel can park in the garage underneath for free. The elevators, usually a nit picking item for me, were quick and efficient and you never had to wait long. The only problem with the elevators is the key card system that you have to use to reach any of the guest floors. This is a great security feature but the timing is not sufficent. The elevator does not give you much time to swipe your card before it is off to one of the other "unlocked" floors. The location of the key swipe area is also not very good. But this is a minor issue in exchange for the security.

The rooms, while a little on the smaller side, are clean. The bathroom is very tiny and you many times have to squeeze into the toliet/tub area in order to close the door. The sink is located outside the toilet area with a large closet directly behind it. The TV's are a little outdated but sufficient and free wireless internet is available. The air conditioner worked VERY well and in fact had to be turned down at times. The only negatives are that the rooms are a little dark and the chairs are somewhat worn. But most importantly, the room was CLEAN.

The beds are "sleep number" beds. Each side of the bed has their own control to adjust the comfort of their side. It takes some playing around with it to get your number just right, but when you do, it is a wonderful bed to sleep on. I have never been to a hotel that had sleep number beds.

There is a pool on the 20th(?) floor that looked very clean and inviting. (it also appeared to be heated). This pool room has large windows that look out on the city. The excercise room is directly across the elevator lobby from the pool and is nice as well. The pool and excercise rooms can also only be accessed by your room key card and so security is another plus.

The city of Akron closes up at night... the old saying about rolling up the sidewalks remains true in this town. They are attempting to revitalize the downtown nightlife around the baseball stadium with several restaurants opening and it is going to be a nice area. It is an easy walk to that location from this hotel. The hotel appears to be within walking distance of many places downtown including Quaker square and many offices.

The restaurant at the hotel had a wonderful buffet breakfast and the price for the fans was very reasonable. Very good food that was kept replenished. (this is a huge plus having been on softball trips to other hotels and the breakfast bars get cleaned out easily and are hard to keep replenished...not so here.). Those who ate dinner in the restaurant for supper said that it was large portions for a good price as well.

This is a very nice hotel with good prices and great service. It is not a 5 star hotel and doesn't pretend to be...but it is clean, comfortable and a great place to stay in downtown Akron. I highly reccommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank JECOhio
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akron
Courtyard Akron Downtown
#4 of 10 in Akron
Hilton Akron / Fairlawn
Hilton Akron / Fairlawn
#1 of 5 in Fairlawn

Been to Rodeway Inn? Share your experiences!