“Beautiful place for our Wedding Venue”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Akron
The O'Neil House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Akron B&B and Inns
North Canton, Ohio
“Beautiful place for our Wedding Venue”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I was so excited to visit this venue for our Wedding, which is next March. We met with the owner of the O'Neil House, and fell in love with the place, the history, and the 'feel' of being back in time, which is my base of my Wedding, Vintage. Gayle was so sweet, and game us both options and ideas for the reception, etc. We went ahead and booked all the rooms for that weekend, for guests and of course, the Bride and Groom! Can't wait... Will update how the Wedding goes later!

Room Tip: Limited parking space
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Angela P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I chose to stay at the O'Neil Bed & Breakfast because it was close to my customer and the price was lower than the Marriott - and I was intrigued by the history. I had a reservation several weeks in advance and had spoken with Gayle before my arrival. I arrived at 8PM on a Tuesday evening; there wasn’t ANY sign out front and I was thankful for GPS. I felt like I was driving up to a residence as there were some other beautiful homes in the area. I walked in the front door (maybe I should have rung the doorbell??) – still a bit unsure if I was at the right place. The house looked like the picture on the web site! I walked around until I found a woman resting and watching TV. I asked “Are you Gayle?” She said “Yes, Who are you?” Not very welcoming being in a foreign feeling place. We resolved this and she showed me my room. It was 93 degrees (and humid) in Ohio that day and she said she’d turned off the A/C at 5PM because it was too cold. It was about 85 degrees in the rooms and remained that way until about 10PM as the window A/C units struggled to recover. The antiques and architecture were very interesting. The room was nice and very clean. Gayle warmed to me slowly over the 3 days I stayed there, but she does expect old-fashioned respect for her home, which was fine with me. She is an excellent (breakfast) cook. I never could get the internet router to accept the password she provided and ended up using my iPhone as a router. I didn’t have a desk in my room for my laptop (but didn’t forewarn that I needed one either). I used it as a true lap-top. Overall, I wouldn’t visit again for work, but I may take the family back for recreation. It was nice, but not what I was expecting for business travel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Jill B
Chicago, IL
Reviewed June 7, 2013

This is a decent B&B in an area that does not have a lot of variety. The home itself is impressive but the rooms are in need of some updating, although they (and the bed) are comfortable enough.The breakfast was fine but could have been more plentiful. The B&B is popular for weddings (the grounds are quite nice) and there were weddings both nights we were there. I have to say, the hostess did ensure that the guests quieted down at 10:00 sharp out of consideration for the B&B guests and we really did appreciate this. The staff was definitely accommodating and we had a pleasant enough stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank IllinoisCentral
Prairieville, Louisiana
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I'm from south Louisiana which ranks high on the list of friendliest people; therefore I can truly state that from the moment we arrived at the O'neil House we felt at home. The Innkeeper/Owner, Gayle Johnson, was very nice, friendly and accommodating; she made our stay a very pleasant experience. The mansion is an architectural beauty with impressive woodwork within, built in 1923 by William O'Neil, founder of The General Tire Company. We stayed in the "Grace Room" named after O'Neil's daughter. The queen-sized bed was the most comfortable we have ever slept in at a B & B. Delicious breakfasts (served by Debbie) consisted of homemade pasteries, eggs, fruit, juice, coffee or tea and will satisfy any appetite. Debbie is a doll! She's warm, outgoing, efficient and gifted when it comes interacting with guests. She is a great asset to Gayle and the O'neil House. Thank you Gayle AND Debbie for helping to make our visit to Ohio a marvelous adventure.

Room Tip: I reccommend any room in this historic mansion. They are all spacious, comfortable and well furnishe...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank GrannyR
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We decided on the Oneil house for our reception location because its beautiful and elegant just right on par with what we were after for the look of our wedding! It's location was perfect because our church is next door! However, upon arriving to the reception my husband and I were asked what we would like to drink, we requested spicifics because we bought the alcohol! We were then told "oh I believe we are out of that" ... So mini panic attacks started! Upon later inspection there was plenty of alcohol they were just rationing it out for some reason and to the bride and groom, big mistake! Not by just one server but ALL of them! We of course upon our panicking sent out my husbands brothers and they bought more! The owner was walking about checking on people and giving orders to not take shoes off or sit on that chair etc etc. Upon our departure we were presented with our bill which was about 2k over what we had initially budgeted! This was a shock to us and we were very upset! We were told there is a flat fee per person, the catch there are no exceptions if that final count changes! We were about 10-15 ppl short of our final count the day of the wedding!? We were told there were to be no extra fees, however on our bill reflected there was about 600$ worth of "extra" charges that we thought were included ie. serevers charge and table and chair set up! Very frustrating! Towrds the end of the evening she let her pets out... a cat and a dog. mind you our guest were still there and had no plans of leaving anytime soon! the cat bit at least 3-4 guest causing bleeding and bandaging and the dog which is very large sheds a lot and stinks and was rubbing up on guest for some attention!! Not an approprite situation shes lucky most of us are animal people!! Overall, the evening was a hit and we are still reviving compliments on our beautiful day! But the lack of communication, a contract and pricing overshadows all the beauty, elegance and class of the venue!

• Stayed October 2012
9 Thank Mdg101312
Wilmington, Ohio
Reviewed October 15, 2012

The property is beyond beautiful. Our suite was beautiful and so comfortable. Gail was gracious and very helpful. Breakfast was delicious. It was the perfect place to stay while we visited Hywett Gardens and the Ohio Mart.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Cherry G
East Greenwich, Rhode Island
Reviewed September 18, 2012

The O'Neil house is out of a storybook, and every story has a wicked witch. I was in a wedding held at the O'Neil house. We stayed in the bridal suite as well. Starting with breakfast, Gail was a nightmare. Instead of adding items to the breakfast of the non-meat eater, she just took the foods away. She was in such a rush. She had 2 weddings in one day. She does NOT do contracts. She had NO plan B for rain. She came in with clean sheets as we were getting hair done. You cannot plug in a curling iron plus flat iron. The fact she tried to get the bride to leave as she was being zipped into her gown was appaling! I said "let her enjoy her moment" in an annoyed voice and she glared at me. The ac barely works. She can't be bothered showing any1 where to go. I was asked by the next group where the suit was. The bride's room has two large doors. Alllllll Gail did was scream like a banshee about the swollen doors and her hardwoods. Hello? She picked the room, not us. Doors swell, it's your job to deal with it. She was downright rude to the bride, wedding party, and guests. She came in and whined to the bride about the fact she had to set up a tent for the musicians.....She tries to make everyone feel guilty for her job. She needs help in the form of an assistant. She was scattered and over reacted to many details during the planning as well. She also smokes in the home, has cats, and a rotwiller. Cats and smoke affected everyone's allergies and my asthma. The place stunk of smoke. I saw her smoking with my own eyes if she claims it's nonsmoking. And a rotwiler is hardly a friendly dog. The setting is storybook, but she is not.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
20 Thank jp96_12
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akron
Courtyard Akron Downtown
Hilton Garden Inn Akron
Fairfield Inn & Suites Akron Fairlawn
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cuyahoga Falls
Hilton Akron / Fairlawn
Hilton Akron / Fairlawn
#2 of 5 in Fairlawn
Courtyard Akron Fairlawn

Been to The O'Neil House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!