“Gigantic Fail”
Review of Open Water Grill

Open Water Grill
Ranked #13 of 34 Restaurants in Avon
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The doors are open for the 2016 season! Come on in and check out our totally revamped menu with a fresh new look for Hatteras Island. With unique options and great view Open Water Grill is sure to be a dining destination you wont want to miss. Located at MP 54 at the northern end of Avon. Come see the view for yourself!
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I already have low expectations when dining at the beach somewhere with a nice view. I get it. Sit back and enjoy your vacation. But man, this place shattered what little faith I had left in beach restaurateurs.

We were one of four tables seated. We waited about 20 minutes just to get menus because they didn't have any more than the eleven sitting at the one other table that was ordering. This was not a good sign.

Several items listed on the printed menu (already wildly different from that posted on their website) were not actually available. Not a special dish they happened to run out of, just "we don't have that".

The last of our ordered food arrived 1 hour and 20 minutes after we sat down. Two burgers were grossly over-done. My medium-rare was well done, and the medium-well was shall we say "burnt to a crisp". Randomly, the bun was even a different kind than mentioned on the menu. I could go into detail about the culinary creativity (none noted) or how the food tasted (um, salty?), but really, let's stick to the very basics of operating a restaurant. This was a gigantic fail.

Ok, let's just get our check and leave? No. "That will be a little while with our system."

After hurriedly packing up our half-eaten food (it was 8:45 after all), we drove home. Along the way, my wife asked "does our daughter have a poopy diaper?" I truthfully had to reply that no, that was the smell wafting from my uneaten cobb salad.

That pretty much sums up our night at the Open Water Grill. At least it was a memorable experience.

2  Thank Phil S

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Tried to have dinner at this place one Saturday night after seeing it online. We arrived to find it closed, with people in the kitchen cleaning and cussing. We came back a different weekend and they tried to seat us 3 feet beside the band. The menu was basically bar food and no one in our party was interested except the 10 year old. No one else was in the restaurant after 6pm. Not a good sign.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Let me begin by saying I am not a food snob....typical vacationing family from MD....have been coming to obx for several years and we have explored extensively from Corolla to Ocracoke.

She crab soup was nothing but cream...tasted ok I guess....but completely lacking crabmeat. Being from the eastern shore of MD I know my crab soup. I order it whenever I see it on a menu. Most cream of crab soups have disappointing amounts of crab meat....you're lucky to get a solid pinch...so I wasn't expecting a 1/4 pound of lump in my soup....but this version had none. I thought I might have tasted a couple fine shreds but I'm not even sure it was crab or not.

Wife ordered the beef brisket for 18 or 19 bucks. It was smothered in bbq sauce...chewy and salty. Worst brisket ever. You'll get better brisket at a cheap chain....don't bother unless you really like salt and bbq sauce.

Steamer pot was 26 bucks for 2 small clusters of snow crab and a dozen shrimp along with 7 bites of sausage and a couple potatoes.....it was average i guess.

Mom ordered the crab mac n cheese. It was close to 20 bucks for mac n cheese with a pinch of crab meat. Waitress forgot the bread that menu specifically mentioned would be needed to clean the bowl...so mom asked for it....no biggie.....5 min later waitress brought her 3 thin pieces of crispy burnt bread that looked more like potato chips than bread you would serve with pasta. And again I'm no food snob...when I say burnt I mean burnt. Not brown or even dark brown...I mean black. She asked the waitress to take it back....which she did....and never said so much as sorry or anything. She also didn't bother bringing any more bread or even offering any alternative.

Kids meals were ok....but we asked to sub a side with mac n cheese.....which they did but then charged us for a full third kids meal.....I guess mac n cheese was a kids meal option so when we asked for it as a side they charged us for a whole additional meal. That was not mentioned to us when we asked for it. Had we known that we wouldn't have done it.

Food was also very slow....and it wasn't crowded when we ordered (place only has 8-10 tables to begin with).

The view might be nice....but there are lots of restaurants with nice soundfront views....the menu was very wordy and did it's best to camouflage the average food. I really don't mean to sound overly critical but this place was simply not worth it.....I promise there are better options.

5  Thank ESMDVAShorereviewer
Reviewed September 5, 2013

After trying the Dolphin's Den & the Mad Crabber, we happened upon the Open Water Grill (OWG). Had dinner there on September 4th and it was the best dinner we had this week in Avon. We had almost given up. They had just changed to their fall menu and had a fish special which was scallops with couscous and the vegetable of the day. The scallops were cooked just right. They were moist. Both my husband and I had a special Caesar salad with King Mackerel. The fish was very moist. The others in our party had the surf and turf pasta which had grilled chicken strips along with shrimp. The chicken was very tender and tasty. Don't tell anyone about our secret dinner place in Avon. Shhhh

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We went for lunch on the Tuesday after Labor Day. There was one woman doing all the serving, bar tending, and prepping of other stuff. The beer selection lacked. The wait for our food was about a half hour. We ordered the she crab chowder which was absolutely yummy, but came out 30 seconds before our meals. i ordered the local black tip shark meal which came out very beautiful and very delicious. My boyfriend ordered the fish and chips which he enjoyed. If you are going for the atmosphere -it is lacking, but the food was great. I wouldn't go again, but we have definitely had worse.

2  Thank Ajw35