“Miss it!”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Parking Available, Seating
Virginia
“Miss it!”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Wow! Was shocked to find Cafe 12 closed this season. You are missed.
Usually our favorite joint to eat at.
Good food and service!

Visited August 2012
2 Thank Trip2DSun

“Wow! Great food!”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We came to Cafe 12 expected an average to subpar meal in a small restaurant in a strip mall. Boy, were we surprised. The food was great! Their "flats" are amazing. What a creative and different twist on a tortilla. Everything was nicely portioned, priced well, and the service was great (and quick enough for us, with children). My husband liked their beer selection. Totally not what we expected in a strip mall, but will be going back next year when we visit!

• Visited May 2013
Kitchener, Canada
“Good food”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stopped in here after a hair-raising drive over flooded highway 12 from Nag's Head, and the good food and friendly service restored our frazzled nerves. My husband was fascinated with the idea of the flats, and tried one with tons of scallops on it, while I had a cup of chowder and salad combo. Everything was delicious and hit the spot perfectly. My husband took half his huge flat away with him and we had it for a quick lunch the next day while we were touring around.

• Visited March 2013
Mount Airy, Maryland
“Wonderful food!”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stopped here for lunch and were not disappointed. My husband and I ordered soup, I had the seafood bisque and he had the corn and crab chowder, both were delicious! As my main dish, I had the Po Boy sandwich, fried oysters to perfection!! My husband had the crab cake, which wasn't like our Maryland crab cakes, but he still liked them. We will definitely go back.

• Visited May 2013
Richmond, VA
“Nothing to write home about”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We were disappointed, first and foremost in the service. When we came in, the place was about a third occupied. We were escorted to a table which had not yet been cleaned off. Our server grabbed everything up off the table and wiped it with a rag, leaving most of the crumbs and gunk still on the surface. Then, another server came over and sprayed the tabletop with bleach water, cautioning us AS she was spraying that there was bleach in the bottle and that it could ruin our clothes, she, too, leaving crumbs and gunk on the tabletop.

We could also hear one of the servers complaining to another in the kitchen that her table was "weird"... We tried to develop a rapport with our server, but she was clearly not interested and made it clear with her body language and complete lack of friendliness.

The food was no better. My husband got the fried shrimp and grouper. The shrimp did NOT taste fresh and the fried grouper was slimy in places beneath the breading. Neither were seasoned well. A little salt and pepper at the very least could have improved the flavor. I had the crab and corn chowder because, at 1:00, they were out of seafood bisque. It was okay. The crab was stringy and sparse, the potatoes were in gigantic chunks, though cooked perfectly. There was a nice spiciness to the soup. The tea was very weak, as a previous reviewer complained, and barely sweet.

It's a shame, because we had higher hopes for Cafe 12 than this. It was $40 wasted.