“Overpriced, rude, and so-so food”

Ketch 55 Seafood Grill
Ranked #9 of 34 Restaurants in Avon
Cuisines: Diner, Mediterranean
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Reviewed July 27, 2011

My family had 6 people going on a Wed night. We called ahead because one mother needed to get back to the house to feed her infant within 2.5 hours. We did not have kids with us, thank goodness! Definitely NOT kid friendly. When we got there, we were told 10 minutes. 30 minutes later the hostess pointed us to our table and said they just finished their appetizers, when they are finished you will take that table. Needless to say, that would not suit, and somehow she found a table right away... what a miralce.. ha! So after paying our bar tab ($26 for 3 beers), we went to our table. After 10 MORE min our waiter showed up and he was very nice. The food was ridiculously overpriced and there was a VERY short menu. I ended up ordering the crab bisque and my family ordered a variety of seafood dishes. 45 minutes later our food FINALLY came. The food was pretty good, but definitely not worth the price. A 20% tip was added and they wouldn't split the check. All in all.... a not so wonderful experience. Next time, I'll just go to the Atlantic Coastal Cafe and enjoy myself without spending $80 or more.

Reviewed July 27, 2011

The outside of this restaurant is deceiving. It looks a bit dumpy but inside it's a nice, comfy atmosphere. We arrived a bit after six so it was quite crowded. We gave the hostess our name and all 8 of us waited at the bar. She told us it would be a 15-20 minute wait. After a half hour we asked what was taking so long and she said she had crossed off our name and didn't know why! We had to wait another 15 minutes! Once we sat down and ordered it took another 45 minutes to get our meals. The food was excellent. Wonderful calamari and the pasta dish I had, I think it was called seafood tapanade or something, was excellent. It's a bit pricey though. The waiter was wonderful and even took our picture. However, everything was very slow. It was loud, yes, but we were probably part of that since we too were a large group. All in all I am glad we tried it.

Reviewed July 26, 2011

My boyfirend and I arrived in town late for our vacation and decided to stop in at Mack Daddy's. The outside seemed a little concerning, but don't let it fool you. The inside is quite nicely decorated and has hard wood floors. I tend to judge a restaurant by its bathroom, which was incredibly clean (spottless), so thumbs up to that! We ordered our drinks almsot right away - our waiter was very polite and courteous. While we waited, bread came out with a melted butter/oil dish. It was very unique to me since I've never seen this done before. It only took about 15 minutes for our food to arrive. I got their signature shrimp and grits. It didn't look like a lot, but I couldn't fnish it! My boyfriend had a softshell crab and ribs. He raved about it and said his food was great as well. I saw that some people said that it was very noisy?? That was not the case when I was there. There was a qiet murmer but nothing excessive. I was very impressed. I would reccommend this place to anybody going to Avon.

1  Thank Nicole2175
Reviewed July 25, 2011

This place is memorable for all the right reasons. We were pleasantly surprised at the quality and attention to detail, even down to the excellent bread and salads (seriously). My wife had tuna as the fresh catch of the day and it was perfectly done and well prepared with a light but tasty orzo. I had the shrimp and grits (this place's specialty) and it was a bold, spicy New Orleans style dish that was delicious and great on a summer day.

Reviewed July 15, 2011

Great Service for our 4 family group of 18 on a Tuesday Night. Everyone got what asked for and had even changed a few orders like kids do.
The Broiled Catch of the day, Shrimp & grits, and Three from the Sea all pleased our group as well as the Crab legs and Beer selection
Even with two large groups we could easily speak to everyone at our table. It was a great OBX experience.
We were glad that it was a short distance from our house rental in Rodanthe and there was a childrens menu that included fish.
Nothing least about it, Maybe more TV's