“Avon on the Atlantic” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Avon Motel

Avon Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Avon
Avon Motel
You added Avon Motel to your Saves list
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Avon
“Avon on the Atlantic”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

The room was certainly adequate for the night. There was a full-size refrigerator, queen size bed, flat screen TV, stove and oven, coffee maker, microwave, A/C, full bath and was just up a flight of stairs with a nice porch outside the door. The room was a very short distance from the Atlantic and easy to get to from the room. The decor is a bit out-of-date, but for the price, it was fine....a place to crash after spending the daylight hours on the beach! If you are looking for a place to stay that does not offer either a swimming pool or a fitness center but does offer a good night's rest at a very low price, you found it!

Room Tip: 2nd, top floor seems to be the best....
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Chaz529

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

SIGN IN ROOM on corkboard SAYS something like TAKE ALL YOUR TRASH OUT YOURSELF AND LEAVE ROOM AS YOU FOUND IT. WHAT THEY HAVE THE GUEST CLEAN THE ROOM. If I had taken my trash out I would have taken the whole room to dump. GO TO JAIL FIRST IT WOULD BE SAFER... I think I would have to get a drunk in public and get a night in jail before I would stay here again. OFFICE CLOSES AT 5PM. NO ONE TO CALL WITH A PROBLEM FROM YOUR OWN PHONE. NO PHONES IN ROOMS. Not on beach. Looks like built in 40 or 50. Can't believe pictures of motel on here because it didn't look like that. Needs lots of work. Furniture falling apart. sunk in on bed. Pillows where flat as pancakes.

WIFI NOT WORKING. (Seems to be a theme in reviews) I'm sure they don't have wifi since they don't have phones and 1970 tv's.

The Lady in office was nice and needs to get another job.
It was just my friend and I, we had no money to go somewhere else so we stayed awake half the night til we could get out of there. Hatteras Island is a place to rent houses NOT motels.

Hope this helps someone from the terrible night we stayed there.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
10 Thank Michelle C
Sant Cugat del Valles, Spain
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

This is the most simple hotel I have ever been. It is clean, no worries about that, but needs tons of renovations. The place is well located and accepts dogs, so that's Great. If they could change carpet for laminated it would be even better, specially if near the beach.

• Stayed July 2013
6 Thank VickyVillalta
Dortmund, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Actually this motel was an emergency stop. We were in the middle of nowhere on the Outerbanks where we were not sure if more motels/hotels were coming or not.
We were too far away to drive back to Kitty Hawk and as it was already pretty late and we were tired, we stopped at the Avon Motel.
I would not say a big mistake as we have seen worse but this is definately not a motel I would recommend. It was old, it was smelly and the bathroom didn't look very promising either. I did not dare to sit on the bed cover at all but the bed linen were clean.
In the night I had something sitting on my face, the next morning I figured out what it was when my friend started killing a cockroach. Wonderful!
If I may give you a good advice. Either you stay in Kitty Hawk and choose one of the many hotels/motels there or you keep on driving a bit more (10 minutes maybe) and find better looking motels later on. Most annoying was that we spent 100 Dollars for one night but given the alternatives in this village there was nothing we could do about it. However, the staff was friendly.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Jessica G
Nags Head, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

stayed this past weekend,rooms have been redone with new carpet,paint and comfortable mattress.Going back 4th if july for fire works and pig picking.I read some other review and don't agree check it out for your self.I always looks at the room 1st haven't had a problem on 4 stays.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 40 is on top floor with good view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank restless0ne
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I would not recommend this place for a family with children unless you are prepared to accept the overall condition of this motel. It has all the basic amenities. Linen is clean. Towels are old but clean. The bathroom is small. If you are used to the standard commercial 2-3 star American Hotel, then this is not the place for you.

I was out on a fishing trip, so I was not concerned about creature comforts. I just wanted a clean place to spend the nights. The owners can really do better to improve the landscaping and cleaning up the beach access. There was yard debris directly in front of the beach entrance. It will be a problem for seniors, or people with movement limitations to access the beach, obviously one goes to the beach to spend time in the Ocean, but the owner should clean up the place.

The staff at the motel are very accommodating an friendly. They work at the resort, and cannot do much if the owner does not want to spend the Capital to improve his property even though his rates have not been reduced.

Room Tip: There is not much that I can add.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank soccaref
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Ended up leaving before we even stayed. Was one of the dirtiest places I have seen in a long time. Ended up finding a cockroach under the one couch. All it seemed to me was someone owning a place making a killing and not putting anything back into it.

It is a nice location but other then that I would not recommend this to anyone

• Stayed May 2013
10 Thank Beachfu
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avon
Hatteras Island Inn Buxton
Cape Pines Motel
Cape Pines Motel
#2 of 7 in Buxton
4.5 of 5 stars 274 reviews

Been to Avon Motel? Share your experiences!