WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“Clean place but need to invest lots of money in updates.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Avon Motel

Avon Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Avon
Avon Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Avon
Sant Cugat del Valles, Spain
“Clean place but need to invest lots of money in updates.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

This is the most simple hotel I have ever been. It is clean, no worries about that, but needs tons of renovations. The place is well located and accepts dogs, so that's Great. If they could change carpet for laminated it would be even better, specially if near the beach.

• Stayed July 2013
6 Thank VickyVillalta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Dortmund, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

Actually this motel was an emergency stop. We were in the middle of nowhere on the Outerbanks where we were not sure if more motels/hotels were coming or not.
We were too far away to drive back to Kitty Hawk and as it was already pretty late and we were tired, we stopped at the Avon Motel.
I would not say a big mistake as we have seen worse but this is definately not a motel I would recommend. It was old, it was smelly and the bathroom didn't look very promising either. I did not dare to sit on the bed cover at all but the bed linen were clean.
In the night I had something sitting on my face, the next morning I figured out what it was when my friend started killing a cockroach. Wonderful!
If I may give you a good advice. Either you stay in Kitty Hawk and choose one of the many hotels/motels there or you keep on driving a bit more (10 minutes maybe) and find better looking motels later on. Most annoying was that we spent 100 Dollars for one night but given the alternatives in this village there was nothing we could do about it. However, the staff was friendly.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Jessica G

Travelers are raving about these Avon hotels

Nags Head, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

stayed this past weekend,rooms have been redone with new carpet,paint and comfortable mattress.Going back 4th if july for fire works and pig picking.I read some other review and don't agree check it out for your self.I always looks at the room 1st haven't had a problem on 4 stays.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 40 is on top floor with good view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank restless0ne
Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I would not recommend this place for a family with children unless you are prepared to accept the overall condition of this motel. It has all the basic amenities. Linen is clean. Towels are old but clean. The bathroom is small. If you are used to the standard commercial 2-3 star American Hotel, then this is not the place for you.

I was out on a fishing trip, so I was not concerned about creature comforts. I just wanted a clean place to spend the nights. The owners can really do better to improve the landscaping and cleaning up the beach access. There was yard debris directly in front of the beach entrance. It will be a problem for seniors, or people with movement limitations to access the beach, obviously one goes to the beach to spend time in the Ocean, but the owner should clean up the place.

The staff at the motel are very accommodating an friendly. They work at the resort, and cannot do much if the owner does not want to spend the Capital to improve his property even though his rates have not been reduced.

Room Tip: There is not much that I can add.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank soccaref
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

Ended up leaving before we even stayed. Was one of the dirtiest places I have seen in a long time. Ended up finding a cockroach under the one couch. All it seemed to me was someone owning a place making a killing and not putting anything back into it.

It is a nice location but other then that I would not recommend this to anyone

• Stayed May 2013
10 Thank Beachfu
mooresburg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

Anyone who has read my reviews knows my feelings about this motel.The reason Im doing another review is because for the first time since 1986 I stayed in a room and not one of the efficiencys.It was a last minute trip and I was more than glad to get a room.The room I was promised was unavaible but to their credit the had another one ready for me.The internet was down that weekend(want to blame someone think Charter).My room was clean and relaxing.The water presure in the shower was a plesant surprise.One of the most memorable things was when the ice cream truck pulled into the parking lot on fathers day weekend playing christmas carols.Once again I had a great time and will be gonig back for more as long as i can

Room Tip: the efficiencies have more elbow room and a full size fridge
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank boxerboy27
Alexandria, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

Okay - some of the reviews have got to be fake and placed here by management. There is no way anyone would PLAN to stay at this hotel again. The rooms are not comfortable nor clean. They're actually horrendous.

PROS
-pet are permitted and they seem very relaxed (they don't ask how many, what size, etc.) about this policy.
-very nice management/staff (seemed to want to help)
-looks decent from the outside

CONS
-rooms are very old and dirty looking (furnishings look to be flea market freebies and date back 40 years or so) - think fake wood paneled walls, dusty bamboo furniture, small 13 or 17 inch cathode ray tv (large back), peeling paint, decades old disgusting brown shaggy carpet
-rooms smell really really badly
-poorly patched up walls where leaks had obviously occurred
-rusty finishings - light switches, soap holder, faucet, etc
-there was a bug crawling around on the bed as well as a piece of hair on the bed sheets (I don't think they washed the sheets but maybe the bug got in from the outside)
-shower head leaked when I tried taking a bath
-fixtures felt oily like the housekeeping staff hadn't cleaned up the room very well
-microwave was from the early 80s and refrigerator had rusty shelves
-sheets (I only touched it with my hand when checking the bed when I first entered, couldn't sleep on it) seemed to be pure polyester
-towels were completely threadbare and felt like card board
-very overpriced for this motel ($90 a night)
-loud inefficient air conditioning
-some kind of buzzing or whining in room from tv or air conditioning when both were on

It was 9:00 pm, I had my dogs with me and I needed a pace to stay and this was the only hotel in the National Seashore recommended to me by the visitors bureau for people traveling with dogs. I was planning on staying a few nights but could not stay another night (I could barely stay there one and that was sleeping on our own sheets/blankets/pillows - we were thinking of sleeping in the car but we couldn't fit in there with the two large dogs).

Request to Mgmt: Please consider cleaning your rooms with bleach and maybe doing a complete demolition and remodel of each room in phases. I love the fact that you allow dogs and your location is great (right in the middle of the seashore but your accommodations are horrible. As the old saying goes - you have to spend money to make money - and so far it looks like you haven't spent one penny on the facility in decades.

Room Tip: Don't stay here - not even if it's free!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
17 Thank skim1000
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avon
Hatteras Island Inn Buxton
#2 of 6 in Buxton
Cape Hatteras Motel
Cape Hatteras Motel
#4 of 6 in Buxton

Been to Avon Motel? Share your experiences!