“Family Dining”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We had a great time at the Dolphin Den in Avon, NY. We don't usually go out to eat other than pizza but choose the Dolphin Den this year and we couldn't have been happier. We had fried pickles and onion rings which as stated in menu are very good. My children couldn't get enough of them. We were treated very well and the food was great. The portions are so great that we had to bring some home. Very friendly, family place to eat.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

Last night my husband and I along with a couple of our friends visited the Dolphins Den for dinner. The guys had worked all day and were pretty hungry. Thee was no wait to get into the restaurant (it is mid September). We had looked at the menu by the time they came to the table and ordered our drinks and food at the same time. First we were given cornbread and butter, which my husband thought was pretty delicious. Then our salads were brought out. The lettuce was fresh and dark green. The other vegetables made the presentation quite pleasing.
It took a while for our actual meals to arrive but when they finally arrived, they were definately worth the wait. I had the scallop linguine, my husband had the blackened salmon. Both were absolutely delicious. The salmon was very moist and tender with just the right amount of blackening. My scallops were so juicy and tender, they almost melted in my mouth. The broth the linguine was in was to perfection. I will be back for more.
Our friends both ordered the fried flounder. You might think that since you only get one piece of flounder that you will go away hungry, however, these were big beautiful flounder fillets. Both of our friends ended up needing boxes.
We have been to the Dolphins Den several times, but last nights meal was so delicious that it deserved me telling the world:)

Reviewed September 10, 2012

My family and I dined here last week, we were a party of 7 (2 adults and 5 children ages 7-16). Since it's the off season, they were not very busy and we were seated right away. Our server was attentive and friendly. I couldn't make up my mind between crab cakes and scallops and he offered to see if the chef would do a custom combination, which he did, and I ordered that. The crab cakes were very good, not the best I've ever had but still good. The scallops were particularly delicious and seemed to melt in my mouth. Three of our kids ordered children's meals and they were all a pretty decent portion of food. Our bill came to just over $100 for all of us and since my meal alone was over $20 that seemed fairly reasonable. Overall, it was a good experience.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Waited 20 minutes to be seated, and after ordering, waited another 45 minutes to be served. Sat next to a screaming child who was competing with blaring music. It gave me a headache. After three glasses of wine each, the food unfortunately came. Crab cakes and french fries both so salty, they could not be eaten. Spaghetti with meat sauce with so much garlic, it also could not be eaten. Someone in the kitchen has a really heavy hand with spice. Not wanting to take it out on the waiter, we asked for the check and said we had to leave because of an emergency. When he asked if we wanted to take it with us, we said we did not have time and left. Worst experience in my entire life.

1  Thank Grace P
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Was in the Outer Banks for the week and the group of us decided to go out to eat one night. We picked the Dolphin Den based on a friend's rave reviews. Well... it wasn't all that fabulous. No one had a "great" meal. I personally had crab legs which were fine, but you can't really screw those up. The other 7 adults in our group were less than thrilled. Some ordered seafood, some prime rib or other meat. Bland flavors and odd textures were a lot of the comments. We had kids with us also at another table, but you didn't hear too much out of them, with the exception of my 12 year old daughter who didn't care for her lasagna. I told her that is what happens when you order an Italian dish from a seadfood place. The alcoholic mixed drinks were weak as well. I will say that our waiter was very nice and did his best to take care of us.