“Tourist trap but good hush puppies”

Dirty Dick's Crab House
Ranked #17 of 34 Restaurants in Avon
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We knew it to be a tourist trap, but we wanted to get hubby one of those stupid tee shirts that they sell. We got there at lunchtime, the cavernous, poorly lit place was almost empty. They have a huge menu, which means they are great at nothing. I did want maryland crabs, but could not remember how to eat them and there were no tacky instructions anywhere and the waitress seems unenthused. I ordered the crab fingers for an appetizer. They were crab fingers sauteed in garlic and butter and served over a rice and andouille sausage mixture. I would order these again. I also ordered the steamed shrimp which was unremarkable. My husband ordered the mahi sandwich and the mahi was very rubbery. But, the hushpuppies were the best we had while we were traveling, they actually have bits of corn you could see and were wonderfully crispy and chewy at the same time. I would not go to a Dick's again, though. Lunch for us was about $50, too much considering the quality.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

The food is a little pricey and not that great. There is a little variety, but nothing special. It's definitely a tourist trap.

Reviewed September 14, 2012

Waitress was awesome and food was outstanding!! Would highly recomend to anyone who loves seafood and great service! Great place to eat.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

Commercialized garbage......enough said. T-shirts are the backbone of their business. I would not recommend this place to anyone looking for fresh seafood or good, friendly service.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

Wanted to go to a couple other places first, but they were closed so just decided to go here. I'm not big on going to chain type places like this while at the beach, but figured we'd try it.

The menu is ok. I'm not big on seafood (shrimp is about it), so my picking were limited. I got a shrimp and bacon mac & cheese which was very good. It was about enough to eat, but I would've preferred to get a salad with it for $20. I know it was that price because of the shrimp, but seemed a bit steep for mac/cheese. Was told the fish sandwhich was great, as well as some other type of fried shrimp (and my nephew liked his burger). Had some kind of little cheesecake dessert which was very good for the 2.99 price.

The service was great. Very attentive and nice. Restaurant also was clean which I see some others say it wasn't. We went at an off time when they weren't busy, but all was great while we were there.

All in all it was good. I most likely wouldn't go back, but for no reason other than wanting to try the smaller places along the coast. Food/service was great, but it was a ltitle pricey for what you get.