“No, seriously...”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Oceanana Family Motel
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Atlantic Beach
Reviewed August 12, 2010

We read all the reviews about this place and thought we'd give it a chance anyway. Upon arrival, we knew we should have heeded the warning from all the other reviewers. This place is sooo old and outdated, which is unfortunate because the staff were super polite and the location really is perfect. The room felt slightly like a prison cell might, with cement block walls, uncomfortable beds and old, mis-matched, stiff furniture lining the walls. And there was exposed, rusted pipe lining the ceiling of the room.

If you have kids and don't anticipate spending much time inside the hotel, this place might work for you, but otherwise, seriously, don't stay here.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sardawg
There are newer reviews for Oceanana Family Motel

Reviewed June 6, 2010

We arrived to a very out dated hotel, it was suppose to have been refurbished last season. The rooms are "secured" with a sliding glass door. The room was extremely small (we have a family of 5, 2 adults and 3 children). They said there is a pull out couch for the fifth person to sleep on, it was a torn pleather couch that was as old as the building. the shower/tub is about 2feet by 2 feet. You can not control the climate in your room. During the shower, it would not drain so you end up soaking our ankles too. Basically the room was awful and we feel ripped off. To fish on the pier was $10 per adult and $5 for kids under 12. The playground was o.k. but dated and we did not have enough time to swim in the pool but it is very small. The breakfast was delicious. Some of the people there were questionable and intoxicated. My family will not be going back to this place.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank chembabe73
Reviewed June 4, 2010

It was a nightmare. Rooms are so out dated, smells horrible, carpet was so nasty I didn't even want to walk on them with my shoes on. I paid $140.00 for one night and they didn't even have breakfast that weekend. Would NOT have stayed except went down for a wedding and there where no other rooms available. I should have slepted in my car. It should have been updated 40 years ago!!!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank ticker2
Reviewed June 2, 2010

My husband and I stayed two consecutive weekends in May. Our trip was ok enough for us to go back a 2nd time. The rooms are quite dated. Our first night there were people yelling at each other from the balcony down to the patio area. The 2nd weekend was ok as well. TV's do lack a little. Nothing fancy. Beds are not the most comfortable but it'll do. My embarrassment has come from recommending this hotel to a co-worker and her boyfriend. They stayed Memorial weekend and had a horrible experience. Their room was hot and they were unable to control the thermostat. There were partiers next to them that went until 2:30 am. The sink had rust stains and didn't appear to be the cleanest. The decoration had a lot to be desired. She did take photos and I am so embarrassed to have recommended the Oceanana to them. I can't apologize enough. Their stay was terrible. They did complain about the partiers but it took 30 minutes for all the noise to stop. I can say myself, I won't stay there again nor will I recommend it again. The embarrassment of doing so once is enough.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank upandreasalley
Reviewed June 1, 2010

My wife and I took our three children (ages 3-12) to the Oceanana for a spur-of-the-moment weekend beach trip in late May. On a Thursday I was able to reserve a Standard Room for the next two nights (Fri. and Sat.). I'm glad that I called ahead, as there was no vacancy on Saturday by the time we arrived.

The property is clearly quite aged, and is overdue for a restoration. That being said, management clearly takes pride in maintaining the property, dated as it is. Everything seemed to be freshly painted and in working order during our stay. For example, there are at least a few hundred light bulbs illuminating the various walkways and balconies on the property, and every single one appeared to be working while we were there.

Our room was austere, but clean and free of any unpleasant odors. The bright white cinder block walls were devoid of any decoration whatsoever. The view from the window was that of the shared balcony and the building across the parking lot, which I believe to be similar to the view that most of the rooms at the Oceanana have. Our room lacked a thermostat or A/C fan, and was cooled by a semi-passive system which used a radiator mounted at ceiling level. It was effective, however, and there were a couple of times during our stay when I needed to reduce the cooling effect in the room. I soon discovered that I could stand on one of the beds and close the valve that provided coolant to the radiator if I needed to reduce the chill a bit. There was a small television in the room that received about seven broadcast channels, but no cable or satellite programming. The room was also outfitted with a small refrigerator and a telephone, but no coffee maker, microwave, hair dryer, clothes iron, or other common amenities. The bathroom featured a shower, but no tub. The beds were worn and the linens minimal, but not so much so that we were unable to sleep. My wife accurately described the overall feeling of the room as that of an unusually large and comfortable prison cell.

The grounds beyond the room were more appealing. A large and creative playground in good repair is on the premises, along with other classic children's entertainment activities such as tetherball and a hopscotch court. Several Little Tikes-type toys are also on the grounds, and our younger children were delighted by the assortment of things to do. The pool was clean and in good repair. For those of you who (like me) dislike carrying your family's chairs, umbrellas, etc. down to the beach and back, there are cabana boys on staff who will gladly set up some of the resort's loungers and a large umbrella on the beach for you. Don't forget to bring a few bucks with you to tip these guys - the service is well worth it.

The Oceanana did charge an extra person fee of about $11.50 for each person in the room who was over the age of two. While I was a bit taken aback by this practice, the hotel staff was very upfront about it during the reservation process, and the total room rate that we paid was comparable to other oceanfront properties in the area.

All in all, if you have young children, want to stay in an oceanfront location, and will not be spending much time in the room, then I recommend the Oceanana. Those seeking a romantic vacation, a relaxing retreat, or a great ocean view would do better elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank SgtOfMarines1775
Reviewed February 11, 2010

I used to go to Oceana every year as a child. I was born in 1985! After I got married my husband and I went here on one of our honeymoon stops. I wanted to show him my favorite place when I was a kid. The rooms still smelled the same way I remembered. They smelled of sea salt, sand, and yes old cigarettes. If you remember back then you didn't choose non smoking or smoking....you always got a room that had been smoked in at one time or another. Sand stuck in the carpet, from 30 years of guestes bringing in beach sand on there clothes and in their shoes. The same astoterph that I once slimmed on and busted my knee, as a kid because I was running back to my room to get the sunblock, mom said I couldn't go on to the beach with out. The wonderfully large play ground, with club houses and jungle gyms, looked like a very old and very used play ground, club house and jungle gym. All the cartoon character paintings were still right where I remembered them, a little faded though. Some of the wood decorated cartoons were a little chipped and overly played with. The pool was still the same, a small liner of beach sand at the bottom from all the kids jumping in, forgetting to wash there feet. The same games were still there like they had been waiting for me to come back and play. The Watermellon table where one of the staff would cut up watermellons on Saturdays for all the guestes that were staying the weekend, was still next to the lawn chairs on a large cemment deck right on the beach. The lawn chairs and umbrellas were laid out and ready, like they were still waiting for all the mom's and dad's to stroll down the walk (arms loaded with beach toys). I could still smell the grill on the peir, hotdogs and hamburgers cooking for all the fishermen and women that were too busy catching fish to leave the pier. I Still Love that place. Who cares about the a/c or heat, you are there to make memories! My husband and I walked in every footstep of my past vacations at Oceana. From catching fish just like my father and I used to on the peir or on the banks in the early morning before the kids of the resort get out of bed to body surfing and finding seashells on the beach, and finally grabbing a bite to eat on the peir and taking a night strole on the beach but ending up grabbing a bucket and a flash light and catching sand crabs under the moon. That's a wonderful Honeymoon!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Christina_Fulcher
Reviewed October 6, 2009

If you go to a hotel to stay in your room, then Oceanana may not be the place for you, but if you go to a resort to enjoy all the things the Crystal Coast has to offer and not pay an arm and a leg, this is it. One of the last of the great ocean fishing piers is right there and the community of fishermen, women and their kids is warm and welcoming. Food at the Pier House is better than any diner and the staff will make you feel like you just came home. A great bar and 1st class food at Amos Mosquitos across the street is lively and romantic. We go each year for the Seafood Festival in Morehead, antiquing in Beaufort and a last swim in the Atlantic while the ocean is still warm. Best fall getaway ever.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Sandpiper Motel
Sandpiper Motel
#8 of 9 in Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Be...
#2 of 6 in Pine Knoll Shores
The Inn at Pine Knoll Shores
The Inn at Pine Knoll Shores
#3 of 6 in Pine Knoll Shores
Bask @ Big Rock Landing
Bask @ Big Rock Landing
#1 of 5 in Morehead City

Been to Oceanana Family Motel? Share your experiences!