“The kids will love it. Will you?”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Oceanana Family Motel
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Atlantic Beach
Reviewed June 1, 2010

My wife and I took our three children (ages 3-12) to the Oceanana for a spur-of-the-moment weekend beach trip in late May. On a Thursday I was able to reserve a Standard Room for the next two nights (Fri. and Sat.). I'm glad that I called ahead, as there was no vacancy on Saturday by the time we arrived.

The property is clearly quite aged, and is overdue for a restoration. That being said, management clearly takes pride in maintaining the property, dated as it is. Everything seemed to be freshly painted and in working order during our stay. For example, there are at least a few hundred light bulbs illuminating the various walkways and balconies on the property, and every single one appeared to be working while we were there.

Our room was austere, but clean and free of any unpleasant odors. The bright white cinder block walls were devoid of any decoration whatsoever. The view from the window was that of the shared balcony and the building across the parking lot, which I believe to be similar to the view that most of the rooms at the Oceanana have. Our room lacked a thermostat or A/C fan, and was cooled by a semi-passive system which used a radiator mounted at ceiling level. It was effective, however, and there were a couple of times during our stay when I needed to reduce the cooling effect in the room. I soon discovered that I could stand on one of the beds and close the valve that provided coolant to the radiator if I needed to reduce the chill a bit. There was a small television in the room that received about seven broadcast channels, but no cable or satellite programming. The room was also outfitted with a small refrigerator and a telephone, but no coffee maker, microwave, hair dryer, clothes iron, or other common amenities. The bathroom featured a shower, but no tub. The beds were worn and the linens minimal, but not so much so that we were unable to sleep. My wife accurately described the overall feeling of the room as that of an unusually large and comfortable prison cell.

The grounds beyond the room were more appealing. A large and creative playground in good repair is on the premises, along with other classic children's entertainment activities such as tetherball and a hopscotch court. Several Little Tikes-type toys are also on the grounds, and our younger children were delighted by the assortment of things to do. The pool was clean and in good repair. For those of you who (like me) dislike carrying your family's chairs, umbrellas, etc. down to the beach and back, there are cabana boys on staff who will gladly set up some of the resort's loungers and a large umbrella on the beach for you. Don't forget to bring a few bucks with you to tip these guys - the service is well worth it.

The Oceanana did charge an extra person fee of about $11.50 for each person in the room who was over the age of two. While I was a bit taken aback by this practice, the hotel staff was very upfront about it during the reservation process, and the total room rate that we paid was comparable to other oceanfront properties in the area.

All in all, if you have young children, want to stay in an oceanfront location, and will not be spending much time in the room, then I recommend the Oceanana. Those seeking a romantic vacation, a relaxing retreat, or a great ocean view would do better elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank SgtOfMarines1775

Reviewed February 11, 2010

I used to go to Oceana every year as a child. I was born in 1985! After I got married my husband and I went here on one of our honeymoon stops. I wanted to show him my favorite place when I was a kid. The rooms still smelled the same way I remembered. They smelled of sea salt, sand, and yes old cigarettes. If you remember back then you didn't choose non smoking or smoking....you always got a room that had been smoked in at one time or another. Sand stuck in the carpet, from 30 years of guestes bringing in beach sand on there clothes and in their shoes. The same astoterph that I once slimmed on and busted my knee, as a kid because I was running back to my room to get the sunblock, mom said I couldn't go on to the beach with out. The wonderfully large play ground, with club houses and jungle gyms, looked like a very old and very used play ground, club house and jungle gym. All the cartoon character paintings were still right where I remembered them, a little faded though. Some of the wood decorated cartoons were a little chipped and overly played with. The pool was still the same, a small liner of beach sand at the bottom from all the kids jumping in, forgetting to wash there feet. The same games were still there like they had been waiting for me to come back and play. The Watermellon table where one of the staff would cut up watermellons on Saturdays for all the guestes that were staying the weekend, was still next to the lawn chairs on a large cemment deck right on the beach. The lawn chairs and umbrellas were laid out and ready, like they were still waiting for all the mom's and dad's to stroll down the walk (arms loaded with beach toys). I could still smell the grill on the peir, hotdogs and hamburgers cooking for all the fishermen and women that were too busy catching fish to leave the pier. I Still Love that place. Who cares about the a/c or heat, you are there to make memories! My husband and I walked in every footstep of my past vacations at Oceana. From catching fish just like my father and I used to on the peir or on the banks in the early morning before the kids of the resort get out of bed to body surfing and finding seashells on the beach, and finally grabbing a bite to eat on the peir and taking a night strole on the beach but ending up grabbing a bucket and a flash light and catching sand crabs under the moon. That's a wonderful Honeymoon!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Christina_Fulcher
Reviewed October 6, 2009

If you go to a hotel to stay in your room, then Oceanana may not be the place for you, but if you go to a resort to enjoy all the things the Crystal Coast has to offer and not pay an arm and a leg, this is it. One of the last of the great ocean fishing piers is right there and the community of fishermen, women and their kids is warm and welcoming. Food at the Pier House is better than any diner and the staff will make you feel like you just came home. A great bar and 1st class food at Amos Mosquitos across the street is lively and romantic. We go each year for the Seafood Festival in Morehead, antiquing in Beaufort and a last swim in the Atlantic while the ocean is still warm. Best fall getaway ever.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2009

we loved it the room was kinda small but there was only me and my hubby

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2009

My family and I just visited this "resort" this past weekend. Here are my comments:

Overall, I would recommend this hotel for people with kids. Couples and single folks will not appreciate this place. Did I get my money's worth - absolutely!

Rooms? The rooms and bathrooms were clean. The carpet was not clean at all. It was old and caked with dirt. It was ok to walk on, but not for little kiddie hands or body parts to lay on for long periods of time. The furnishing was outdated, but the beds and pillows were comfortable. We stayed in the single rooms and they had assortments of funky futons and couches that were available as "sleepers" - they were pretty run down and dirty. Also, the rooms had patio doors facing the parking lot and people sitting outside or cars going by got a little noisy at times. You could not control the temperature in the room so night time was very cold. I had to double up my comforter to stay warm (it was cool that night due to the rain all day Friday). Saturday, the weather was much warmer and the room temp was more bearable.

Staff? All of the staff were very friendly. I had no complaints about the hospitality and my family felt very comfortable all weekend long.

Outer Appearance? It was a little ghetto. A remodel is desperately needed!

Amenities? The playground was well cared for, there were countless things to do and to keep the kids occupied. The pool was clean and there was ample space for kids and adults alike. The beach was clean and free chair and umbrella setup was AWESOME! Also, check out was at 1:30pm - very nice. The tropical breakfast was also very good. Watch out for the seagulls....they were pretty fiesty during breakfast!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 29, 2009

This is a very good deal for families, especially younger kids. From the oceanfront pool, playground, bikes, watermelon parties, FREE breakfast - something for everyone. (and free chairs/umbrellas taken out to the beach for you - awesome service!)

The hotel is older, but is kept very clean and the staff are very friendly. I saw the same staff this visit that have been there for years. Overall, a great stay.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank SJParrish
Reviewed June 9, 2009

WOW, I have traveled all down the coast until now we've been lucky.......
I have never stayed in a hotel where you were charged by the number of people in the party, where you had no control of your heating or air, The price here is rediculous, highway robbery.
The rooms were somewhat clean, very small and way outdated.
They dont care to charge 2009 prices, with early 70's accomidations.
What hotel these days dont have a hair dryer, coffee pot, etc?
My suggestion before you pay the high prices of these "Ocean Front" hotels, ask to see a room before you lose your wallet.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
3 mi away
Hampton Inn Morehead City
Hampton Inn Morehead City
#2 of 5 in Morehead City

Been to Oceanana Family Motel? Share your experiences!