“Not the best but nice....”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Oceanana Family Motel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Atlantic Beach
West Jefferson, North Carolina
“Not the best but nice....”
Reviewed October 4, 2004

My husband and I have been staying here for the last several years. The management for us has been great we have been so much they know us when we arrive..We know there could be some improvement but everyone could improve some..The rooms are nice a little musty but I figured that was just the beach air and all. I would recommend this hotel to anyone especially if they have children and have to several of our friends. I do wish it was a little cheaper for we don't use the pool, my husband fishes and I usually either shop or sit with my husband to fish. We both have throughly enjoyed this establishment for several years and hope to continue going back.. At least the other visitors have respect for each other you will always get a smile and a good morning from everyone or at least we have. Ted and Kathy Elliott

9 Thank Loveracing9

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Reviewed September 27, 2004

I would not recommend this hotel to my worst enemy. I've been 3 years in a row because my boyfriends family takes a huge trip there every year. The rooms are terrible for what they are charging you. The hotel doesn't look like it's been renovated since the 70's. Dirty carpet, dusty furniture, musty smell, hard to open doors. The only nice thing about the hotel is the clean pool, being so close to the beach, and the private pier being just a few foot steps away. I had a horrible experience last year. Myself and 3 other females were sitting in our suite talking and laughing, when this man just put his key in and opened the door and pulled back the curtain. When we started yelling at him to get out of our room he said that he was a member of management and he had got a complaint about the noise. He had no id, and said that I could tell he was management bc he had a yellow shirt on. The next morning we went to the office to make a complaint and the lady stated that he was a staff member but had no right to come in our room. They did absolutely nothing to him. I will never again stay in a overpriced dirty hotel where my privacy and safety could be violated at anytime. It's no wonder why they are not a member of the Better Business Bureau. You have been warned!!!!

21 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Atlantic Beach hotels

Wellsburg, West Virginia
Reviewed September 8, 2004

Growing up in New Bern, we spent many, many days at Atlantic Beach, usually at the beach and pier at Oceana. Moved to Ohio as a 13 year old. When finally old enough to start vacationing, of course we went to Atlantic Beach - that is "home" and the Oceana was the only place we even considered going. Our first few trips back there were great. The rooms are old and need up-dating, esp. the air conditioning (we almost froze to death at nite), but they were clean, and roomy. The beach (which is our only reason to be there) is fantastic, with lounges and umbrellas available. But, after the old fellow died (Mr.Cooper?) and the family took over, it went very quickly downhill. /the service became terrible. Most times my sis and I had to carry our own lounges (for 6-8 people) and the "beach boys had such attitudes that you dare not ask them for anything. The office staff was just as rude and unaccomidating as they could get. We were severly disappointed in the lack of friendliness that we were used to receiving there. The Pier House is another story, though. The ladies who have been there for years are the most wonderful people I have ever met. They always remember me from year to year, are always very cheerful and they make the stay worthwhile. Even though I don't stay at Oceana anymore, I always make a point to go get some good breakfast and visit the ladies there. They cook the best eggs and grits that I have had at the beach!!
The rooms at this hotel are old, but they are comfortable, esp. with kids. Except for not being able to control the airconditioning, we had no problem. The kids love the playground. The pool is nice, and the whole patio area is a nice place to be. Of course the beach is fabulous. The pier is a definite highlight to staying there.
When our vacation gang got to where we needed two suites (each suite is a livingroom,a bedroom,a kitchenette and a bathroom) we decided to move on. It amazed me to find that we were able to get a codo on the beach with 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, full kitchen, livingroom laundry and 2 decks for only 100 dollars more than we paid for one suite at Oceana.(for a week) The Oceana is certainly overpriced for the condition it is in, and the "extras" like breakfast,etc do not make up for the bad service, small rooms and mustiness of the place.
Oh, yes, the very last time I stayed there, we found, later in the room watching TV, that someone had been taking pictures of us on the beach (as well as all the guests) and thy were posted on a slideshow on the TV. I felt a huge invasion of privacy, not knowing that we were being photographed let alone that it would be on the tv.I would think that prior permission would be obtained before someone would do this. So there I was, with big butt in the air, building a giant sea-turtle in the sand, (most of the view was of the big butt) on the tv for all to see.I'll not go back to this place because of rude service and posted pictures that I didn't know were being taken.It makes me sad, because Oceana has always been "home" to me. I will always go see the Pier House ladies. If you go there, be sure to spend some time with them during slow times. They are what "southern hospitality" is all about.

13 Thank lisa460
Washington, DC
Reviewed September 5, 2004

We have been going to the Oceanana for twenty some years. My kids grew up with this as their summer resort and always loved it. Clean, friendly, and a vacation “home” away from home. There are lots of activities. My son caught his biggest fish ever off the Oceanana Pier, an experience he’ll never forget. The boys always love to go climb around Ft .Macon and motor out to Shackelford Bank to fish, swim and look for wild ponies. My wife and I make this the base to explore and antique in scenic Beaufort, and Morehead City. And over the years, the up-scale restaurants in the area have increased in number and quality, notably Amos Mosquito’s right across the street, while the price and quality of the Oceanana has stayed the same. You can’t beat it for your family’s base of operations in Atlantic Beach.

• Stayed September 2004, traveled on business
12 Thank John D
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed August 28, 2004

Nice people, Nice Staff, Reasonable Rates. Don't let the outside fool you, the Oceana is well maintained and staffed. I loved the private beach and the pier next door. Great place to take the kids.

8 Thank JKilbourne
Reviewed August 7, 2004

My family spent a weekend at the Oceana and enjoyed our trip for the most part - but did not like our room at all. It was a struggle just to get in our overpriced room, the key would not work and we had to wait for another key to be made - it worked, but barely - and the door was still nearly impossible to force open. The room has a terribly musty odor, the mattresses were dirty and the linens were old and not fresh at all. This was possibly the worst night's sleep ever! Don't be fooled by the free breakfast on the patio either. It consisted of canned fruits, pre-packed pastries and the like - all uncovered and all absolutely swarming with FLIES while the hotel workers attending the breakfast bar just leaned back. The pool area was nice and children (who are not usually picky) will enjoy the old wooden dirty play equipment. The grassy areas of the resort where you can sit back and enjoy the ocean and a sunset were nice and the convenient access to the beach, with umbrellas and chairs provided by resort, were nice as well. If I could pay a fee to enjoy the outside amenities without having to actually sleep here, then I would visit again. Don't say you haven't been warned!

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 3, 2004

I was looking for a place to spend a romantic night with my wife and came upon the Oceana Resort. The location was perfect and the price was unbeatable compared to the other hotels in the area almost a $120.00 per night cheaper !!!! The hospitality was friendly, perfect weather, staff was pleasent, room was clean but not fancy. Private Beach, Pool and Large Play area for the kids. I was so pleased I went home got the kids and spent 2 more nights there. Now if you want fancy then this isn't the place but if you want a friendly atmosphere and the ability to spend your money on other things besides a room that you don't spend much time in anyway then go somewhere else. and they took a credit card....... I will be going there everytime I go to enjoy the beach. also the fishing was great from there pier...

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atlantic Beach
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlantic Beach Oceanfront
Island Inn of Atlantic Beach
Island Inn of Atlantic Beach
#3 of 9 in Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Be...
#2 of 6 in Pine Knoll Shores
#1 of 5 in Morehead City
Palm Suites of Atlantic Beach
Palm Suites of Atlantic Beach
#9 of 9 in Atlantic Beach

Been to Oceanana Family Motel? Share your experiences!