“2014 family vacation”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Oceanana Family Motel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Atlantic Beach
Newport, Tennessee
“2014 family vacation”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

I am 37 yrs old and finally went on a vacation with my husband, mom, and dad. They have stayed there before. This is a wonderful place to go and fish off their pier as long as you want to and not worry about your room. We stayed in May. My husband, 2 daughters, and I are going back in September. I plan on going back every year if it is possible.

Room Tip: I dont work out so I'm not sure if they have a fitness center. But if you walk on the beach, the...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank BrandinSteve710

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Burlington, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed June 30, 2014

The staff is great, the location is perfect, but the actual building itself needs a LOT of work. For $100 a night in a small, non-oceanfront room, I want to be able to actually wash my hair IN the shower, not having to lean over the side of the tub and use the faucet. (The shower head is approximately 5 ft up, and if you're short it's fine. I'm tall and it's NOT fine) And a microwave would be another nice addition. The grounds are kept very well, and the beach and pier are fabulous. I probably will not go back, as it doesn't offer everything that I'm looking for. An oceanfront room, a private balcony, and a shower that is totally functional.

Room Tip: I'd recommend, if you can afford it, to upgrade to the Down East Room or the One Bedroom Suite.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Crystal M
Wise, Virginia
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We checked into room 111, the one bedroom suite, on a Saturday evening. It had been a long day and we went straight to the room...no walking to see the beach at all. My girls immediately took their shoes off and started running around the room and within 10 minutes the bottoms of their feet were black, and you could see stains on the carpet. I went with one of my girls to the front desk and showed them what had happened and asked that they make sure to have the room vacuumed really well the next day. (Not sure if this happened.) The bathroom was mildewed and the room had a funky odor. We put up with these things until Tuesday evening, not allowing our girls to go barefoot or sit on the floor at all, when I found a cockroach sitting in the little hallway between the living room and bedroom. Needless to say we checked out. They didn't offer to find us a different room or offer apologies. Having said this, I'm sad because the playground, pool, and fishing pier were awesome.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank mlane4
Oceanana R, Front Office Manager at Oceanana Family Motel, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
We're sorry you had such a negative experience at our motel. We have our rooms treated regularly, but occasionally a critter will escape our efforts. We apologize you saw one. According to our records, you turned in your keys and notified us you just wanted to leave, at which point you were apologized to and, according to our records, we gave you a refund. Please give us a call if you still have not received your refund.
Thank you for your review. We will do our best to continue improving all of our rooms. We hope you will consider giving us another try at a later date.

Travelers are raving about these Atlantic Beach hotels

Hanover Park, Illinois
Reviewed June 25, 2014

My adult daughter and I spent two nights at Oceanana, had a great time. The beach, the pool, the breakfast, the employees all were wonderful. It has a retro feel and we loved it. The bathroom could have been a little nicer but overall, the room was clean, the a/c worked great and the beds were comfortable which is the most important thing. We loved walking on the fishing pier in the evening, loved how close we were to great restaurants and shopping, and especially the private beach and the courtesy of the employees who carried our lounge chairs and umbrellas to the beach for us. I would love to come back with the rest of my family. It is a family friendly resort and I am very happy to recommend it.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank edeangelo
Reviewed May 24, 2014

We had a room they call it suite - reserved for 177$ a night for 2 nights at this motel..! Room 133 - not what we expected for this price:(.We stayed at his motel before but i guess we had the standard rooms upstairs before that were clean and in better shape. So we declined the room, turned around, tried to find another hotel but all booked so going back home. Really disappointed, and we Are Not coming back to this motel again.oh no free fishing either the website advertisement is a lie

• Stayed May 2014
4 Thank Laurica1028
Oceanana R, Front Office Manager at Oceanana Family Motel, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Laurica1028, we are so embarrassed you experienced this complete oversight on our part and we apologize profusely. Many of our rooms have recently undergone renovations and updates, but we missed the room you were booked into; the fault lies with us. The very evening you left, we closed the room for maintenance. We have already ordered replacement furniture, carpet treatment, and painting among other tasks to improve the suite. We refuse to open the room until it is in satisfactory shape.
As for the website advertising free fishing passes, it states: "Resort guests are provided with complimentary fishing passes before Memorial Day weekend and after Labor Day weekend. Complimentary passes are not provided during the summer season." However, you complaint shows that one statement on only one part of our website is not enough to keep our guests informed. From now on, we will be posting a similar statement to each of the room descriptions to better clarify when we offer free pier fishing.
We thank you for your complaint and once again apologize for your experience. Please give us another chance to redeem ourselves in your eyes by booking another stay and letting us take care of the bill for you.
Rocky Mount, North Carolina
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Great private beach and pier. Property is kept up immaculately. Very considerate staff who can't help you enough. Safe, old school, free coffee and ice. Will definitely stay again. It was my husband's birthday and a set of balloons, a bandana, and a card signed by the staff was in terms room when we arrived!

Room Tip: Standard suite great for two. Kitchenette has the basics.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Janestevens
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed April 1, 2014

My family and I grew up going to the Oceanana and we have loved it ever since they opened! My mom grew up going there as did I and so are my kids! The rooms aren't fancy by any means but if you rent a suite you can easily sleep 5-6 in there comfortably. If you are looking for a fun family oriented vacation this place has it all, not just the beach, which does have lifeguards, but they also have a pool, a fishing pier, bikes for the kids to ride in a certain area along with a large play ground and play area. If you decide you don't want to eat out, they have charcoal grills you can use at no extra charge and every morning they have a free continental breakfast for all! You will love it here and it may even become your most favorite place to visit in the Southern Outer Banks!

Room Tip: If you have trouble walking ask the front desk to reserve a suite for you near the beach!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Elizabeth W
Oceanana R, Front Office Manager at Oceanana Family Motel, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Thank you, Elizabeth! We're glad to hear you have such happy memories with us. We do not have lifeguards on our beach, the employees you saw are our Beach Services staff. Beach Services provides beach chairs and umbrellas to all of our guests, as well as take care of daily maintenance in the beach, pool, and playground areas. Rest assured, they keep a sharp eye out for any potential hazards around the property and will warn you if the surf is too rough to play in. The suites you mentioned (1st floor, close to the beach) are now called our Premier Suites and are currently being renovated, as you can see on our Facebook page. We’ll have new pictures of the Premier Suites up soon.
We look forward to seeing our regulars every year, and we hope to see you all soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atlantic Beach
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlantic Beach Oceanfront
Island Inn of Atlantic Beach
Island Inn of Atlantic Beach
#3 of 9 in Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Be...
#2 of 6 in Pine Knoll Shores
#1 of 5 in Morehead City
Palm Suites of Atlantic Beach
Palm Suites of Atlantic Beach
#9 of 9 in Atlantic Beach

Been to Oceanana Family Motel? Share your experiences!