“Very Relaxing”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Oceanana Family Motel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Atlantic Beach
Dallas, North Carolina
“Very Relaxing”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

My Husband I have stayed there for 2years and we plan to stay there this year. The rooms are very comfortable. My husband relaxes and I do to. We stay for a week usually in October because it is not to hot and we can enjoy the beach. People there are very friendly and courteous. They are not fancy but I like comfortable. They are very clean,and that is what matters to me

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kismo141

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Reviewed September 3, 2013

So me and my lil guys were here 2 weeks ago... upon arrival it reminded me of something out of a horror movie. It was raining ridiculously hard for the entire trip and it was sooooo dark, I passed right by the resort hotel at first. Turned around in 3 inches of standing water to finally make my way up the little hill and I pulled into the parkinglot... A large glass office was there to great me and one of the gentlemen came out to welcome me. After checking in and getting my keys he offered to take my bags but we always travel light when going to the beach so we just had our back packs. the room was on the 2nd floor... glass sliding door and the room actually reminded me of a jail cell at first (no I've never been to jail... just tv references).
It was clean, very basic but not disappointing... as Im a pretty simple hotel person to please... the next day we went out to breakfast, more than your typical continental breakfast... it was a chow line set up and a covered veranda greeted us to seat. While eating we had views of the resort area... pool, tot lots, obstacle course and a awesome view of the pier and ocean. The beach was literally 50-100 feet away... the stay was great

Room Tip: Rooms on the west and south side have less noise from cars coming into the pier
1 Thank Corwin_Hyman_Sr
Millers Creek, North Carolina
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We spent 2 nights here very recently. This was the 2nd time we'd stayed at the Oceanana. I should have known better than to go back there. We weren't fortunate enough to get an "updated" room. They have A LOT of work to do before I will go back. Sliding glass doors that had gaps big enough for mice to get in when closed. Sticky carpet. TERRIBLE mattresses. Yellow stuff dripping down the wall in the bathroom. Even my 6 yr. old son complained about the bed. The bedside lamp had a short in it. We were going to voice our complaints before we left, but both people in the office were on the phone. We just didn't want to waste our time. I expect a better room for $135 a night.

4 Thank KellyMcLambert

Travelers are raving about these Atlantic Beach hotels

Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed August 20, 2013

This place is GREAT for families, especially with small children. Stayed there with my grandsons, ages 2 and 4. Everything we could want or need was there. Playground, riding toys, pools, beach, chairs, breakfast. I could go on and on. Great for the money. The place is a little older, but pretty well taken care of. I think I will make this a yearly vacation, at least until the kids out grow it, and then I may just go back myself. Relaxing and close to other attractions. If you are looking for a family friendly fun vacation, this is IT!

2 Thank Kathie K
North Carolina
Reviewed August 16, 2013

As a child, my family would stay here often. So when my husband and I needed some unwinding time, we stayed here for 3 days a couple of weeks ago. Everyone was very polite, the price was right for our budget, the continental breakfast was good and we really enjoyed ourselves. The only issues I had was the bathroom was not as clean as it could have been (hair in bathtub and on floor) and the biggest issue was the mattress was not in a 'bed bug container'. I had to pull the sheets off to check the mattresses before we could stay. They were fine. I wake up early and the staff is busy, busy getting everything ready for the day. They make you feel right at home!

Room Tip: Ask for room 201. You can see everything!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank doodlebug_27822
Oxford, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I must start by saying, that staying here provided the most stress free environment I have ever experienced staying at the beach with kids! So much is provided for the kids to do, for all ages,at no cost, the suit was so kid friendly, there wasn't much to worry about at all! I have been to the Sharaton, the Hilton, and usually rent houses, but I think I have found a new favorite here!
Oceanana is centrally located to the North Carolina Aquarium on Pine Knolls, and Fort Macon. You can walk to any Beach shop, groceries are nearby, and there is a great family restaurant right across Fort Macon Rd. They have a great kids' menu, and aside from all the surf and all the turf, they serve sushi and sashimi! There are fish markets close by, one right on 70, and a few others in Moorehead. So if you get a suite, you can save a little cooking up fresh caught goodies yourself!
The playground was wonderful! Of course you must supervise your child, as with all playgrounds, it was in the style of those when I was a kid, but it really was all the more fun for my boys! There is a small, one hoop basketball court, swings, slides, a little fort with a building block room, and one giant twisty slide, just to name a few cool things! A few small bikes and a tricycle are provided too! There is even an area for the toddlers to play safely with rocking horses galore, bouncy animals, riding toys and toys for their age group. I LOVE the fact they provided lots of push cars you can tote your tot around on! There was also so much room to let your kids run around in an easily supervised area, so if the beach didn't whoop them into a slumber, there is lots of room to burn off the sugar/energy.
My sons loved having watermelon on Wednesday, which was well picked! It was so sweet I even partook not planning to! At 8pm, the nights we stayed, free ice cream was passed out!
The pool was wonderful! You don't see many pools these days that go beyond 5ft deep, but this one goes to nine feet deep. I loved that I could finally dive into a pool without getting scolded, as an adult, or given the "no no" look. The chairs around the pool are cushioned and staff will provide umbrellas upon request. The staff also carries lounge chairs and sets up umbrellas at no additional cost on the beach! (Compare to the time I once spent $50 for the same service at another hotel!)
The beach was wonderful, with a gentle slope into the water, and there were tide pools that my little one loved playing in, and other kids were skim boarding in like crazy! Surf is great for boogie boarding and surfing here too! They loved it! They have a station to clean your sand toys easily. And they provide some more mature games as well, such as "crab hole" aka corn hole, shuffle board, and a few others. There is also a fish cleaning station, should you get lucky at the on-site pier. The pier is free to walk on which I found refreshing. Off season the hotel provides passes for fishing, in season it was dirt cheap! You can also rent fishing poles which come with the tackle there at a great price.
The Oceanana also provide grills, with the charcoal, and lighter fluid. If you stay on the first floor, you are even allowed to bring it right up to your room! Each suite room also had lovely porch chairs provided, so you don't even have to worry about chairs to chill outside your door. There were clothes line too, to hang up those wet beach items. They also had what I personally called "Granny's Alley" where there was a line of comfy rockers overlooking the toddler's play area.
The breakfast provided, in season only, was more than sufficient! Not fresh cooked eggs and bacon, the restaurant on the pier provides that if you want it, but they had fresh fruits, bagels, muffins, danishes, cheeses and hard boiled eggs. Also there was oat meals, and lots of different cereals.They have a variety of juices and teas, and have wonderful coffee! Speaking of coffee, they have a machine next to the ice makers so you have free, excellent tasting coffee 24-7!
This hotel is older, I preferred to call it retro. Yes, the place needs some repair, and that's why I give it a four instead of five. But I did see work being done in a few other rooms. The service was beyond what you can get at any four star/ five star hotel I have ever been to!
The beds were surprisingly comfortable, and the place was clean! Housekeeping was friendly and more that proficient. When they made our beds, she even set up my son's action plush dolls on the pillows like a mom would do at home! Really warmed my heart!
Overall, Oceanana won my heart over! If you are super picky and prefer being cramped up in a hotel room rather than enjoying the beach life, this might not be your cup of tea. This place is beach geared! The friendly, accommodating staff brought back the feeling of times gone when hospitality is truly an essence of choosing the right place to stay. Thank you Oceanana for making our vacation memorable, heart-lifting, stress free and enjoyable!

4 Thank Stephani S
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My family and I have been staying here for almost 30 years if not more but this year I think was the worst.

Pro's: Great Location, friendly staff, nice maids, quiet in rooms, love the big screen tvs in the renovated rooms, love that the pool boys will bring umbrellas and chairs to where you want to be on the beach and the pool.The air conditioning was nice and cool

Con's: I found a cockroach crawling on my face when i woke up one more morning, the breakfast is very lackluster (would like to see a meat or something up there years ago they use to have mini sausages and more fresh fruit) the wifi is not in the rooms you have to walk to the office to get it and late at night I was not up to walking that far. Too far to walk when you are on the other side of the hotel. Would like to see a golf cart to go from one end to the other it would help those people's with walking disabliites.Free fishing would be nice to paying customers of the hotel 30 dollars to fish is kind of steep when you spend all that money to stay at the hotel. Also there should be no smoking allowed at breakfast because it makes people lose there hunger. Lastly, when we got there at 12:15 we were told out room wasn't ready yet, we went to Beaufort to lunch and came back at 2:40our room still wasn't ready keep in mind this was a Thursday not monday the hotel was not that full the lady at the front desk the older lady was rude and said "we guarantee our room by 4 there is nothing we can do. ( She did offer the "snack room as a sitting place til our room was ready but there was no bathroom for my grandmother and it was awkward for use to stay there.

Side Note: I think with the volume of people the pool should be bigger too.

With all that aside, I LOVE this hotel I was raised here and other then the lady being rude to us about the time the staff was wonderful. My 82 year old grandmother has been coming for 50 plus years and she was doubting our future for next year. Thats sad.

Room Tip: Get a suite they might be more but they are worth the extra
2 Thank alleycat9856
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atlantic Beach
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlantic Beach Oceanfront
Island Inn of Atlantic Beach
Island Inn of Atlantic Beach
#3 of 9 in Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Be...
#2 of 6 in Pine Knoll Shores
#1 of 5 in Morehead City
The Inn at Pine Knoll Shores
The Inn at Pine Knoll Shores
#5 of 6 in Pine Knoll Shores

Been to Oceanana Family Motel? Share your experiences!