“Left after less than 12 hours.......”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Oceanana Family Motel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Atlantic Beach
St. Louis, MO
“Left after less than 12 hours.......”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We arrived at the hotel around 1:30 am after traveling for 7 hours. Got to our cinderblock room with 2 double beds, that dated around 1975, in the 'newer' section of the hotel. Not impressed with the room at all, and the LARGE 2" long 'dead' cockroach in the middle of the hotel room; that, after a few mins rolled over and proceeded to run around!! Since it was so late, we unwillingly stayed, but promptly left first thing in the morning after the horrible free breakfast, we were booked for 3 nights. Nice beach, but horrible property and the clientele at the hotel was not the best either. We enjoyed the rest of our stay at the Doubletree down the road for less $$!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank srramd91
TraceCooperNC, Owner at Oceanana Family Motel, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
We are sorry that you had such a bad experience at the Oceanana, especially after such a long drive to get here. We are in the process of a large scale, multi-year renovation of the property. To date, we have renovated about one-third of our rooms. Unfortunately, your room was not one of our newly renovated rooms, but we plan to update the building you stayed in (our Down East building) this off-season. Our renovations include new wall coverings (no more cinder blocks), new doors and windows, new furniture, new vanities and new fixtures. Ours is an older property, but we are working hard to bring it up-to-date in the coming year.

Renovations aside, having any insects in your room is obviously not acceptable. We scheduled a full treatment of the building by our pest control provider to ensure that this remains an isolated incident.

I will check with our front desk staff to see if you mentioned the problems you encountered upon checking out as we would like to credit back a portion of the room charges for the night you stayed with us.

Again, we are sorry that your stay was unpleasant. We are addressing the problems you had so that they will not be an issue for future guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Tarboro, North Carolina
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This property is located on the beach, but no rooms are oceanfront. The rooms are prison-like and dated (cinder blocks painted white with no decor, very quiet), but the location is great. Very nice pool with great playground right on the beach. Good restaurants within walking distance. The clientele is pretty red in the neck, but the service is good. No need to bring chairs and umbrellas, as they bring them to you on the beach.

Room Tip: rooms away from the beach are very close to Amos Mosquito's. their buzzers work in those rooms...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank square8268
West Jefferson, North Carolina
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I read the reviews on here & booked a weekend vacation for my family. We checked in, moved our stuff in, then checked out. We were on the second floor. The steps looked like they were going to rot. I was scared I wouldn't make it up or back down. There was no regular door to the room - only sliding glass doors. The railway outside the door only had two rails. I have a 2 year old. I kept imagining him getting away from me, just for a second, and falling through. I knew I couldn't sleep in the room for fear of the sliding door (which was tricky to lock) and the horrible railing. The comforter had pet hair on it. We tried to turn the tv on and a plastic bag fell down from somewhere. The fridge was in the bathroom, which was disgusting to me. We walked around the hotel grounds, and it looked like it was falling apart. I read on here that they were undergoing major renovations, but I saw nothing being done.Yes, I knew that it was an older establishment and yes, I paid for a basic room. But it still wasn't worth what we paid. If I was just going with my husband, or a few friends, I would not have such a problem with the hotel. But it is not a place for a family with young children. On a positive note, the staff was very nice and they did give us a full refund.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Monica P
TraceCooperNC, Owner at Oceanana Family Motel, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
We are sorry that you did not feel that our motel was family friendly. We have been catering to families for over 50 years and want to continue to do so in the future and we appreciate taking the time to let us know about your concerns.

As you noted, we are in the midst of a major renovation which is addressing many of the issues you mentioned in this review. Specifically, we are replacing the doors and windows in rooms as well as upgrading some of our staircases and railings. All of our stairs and railings are structurally sound, however they were constructed at a time when the building code did nor require the small gaps in rails and posts that current codes require.

To date, we have renovated about one-third of our rooms and we recommend that potential guests request a newly renovated room when making a reservation. In the middle of the summer season when the motel is full with over a hundred families, we aren't able to perform serious renovations, which is why you may not have seen much work going on on the night you stayed with us.

Again, we are sorry that we did not meet your expectations and are working to address the problems that you mentioned.

Travelers are raving about these Atlantic Beach hotels

Pine Knoll Shores, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Older establishment, but they are in the middle of a major renovation. Most of the work is done. Great location right on the ocean. I have been going there for years. Can't beat the service-- a family run business that has had the same staff for years. There is no corporate office in a far away big city. The owners are on site and I like it that way.

Room Tip: No fitness center or room service.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Keith L
Coppell, Texas
Reviewed October 22, 2012

My family vacationed at Oceanana from 1984 - 2005. Great for families with children age 0 - 16. Continential breakfast by the pool daily from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Watermelon Parties Wednesdays & Sundays afternoon. Renovated pier with a gazebo at the end soon to be a bar. Free pier fishing with hotel stay. Lifeguards on site to help you tote chairs and beach items to the beach. Bike trail & lots of playgrounds for ages 3-16.

Room Tip: Suite room offer kitchens to cook dinner for your family. Down east rooms are the largest regular ro...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank MissDiva715
Greentop, Mo
Reviewed October 19, 2012

The Oceanana is an older Motel so it does not have all the frills that recently built Motels have but it is clean, the staff are very courteous, a tropical breakfast is served each morning, outdoor playground and swimming pool for children and the location can not be beat if you are in the Atlantic Beach area. It is located right on the beach giving you direct access to the only remaining Pier in the area and the beach itself. It is very close to many attractions in the area making it a great "base" camp. We have stayed here twice and would like to return someday.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We came down here for the NC Seafood Festival, all the other places were booked, I read all the bad reviews of this place and almost didn't book it.......I took into consideration the types of bad reviews, like brick walls and staff not being friendly etc etc, all of which I don't care about, I mean I see the staff when I check it and check out........whether they are friendly or not what's it matter to me I'll never seen them.......all the fancy amenities I don't care about either, after all I booked this place to sleep while I'm at the beach, if I'm going to be spending a significant amount of time inside. Then I should have stayed at home.........we're here for four nights, I'm writing this after my first night because I listed all the complaints prior to getting here and I went through them all within the first hour of checking in........not one of them would change my mind about this place......

Me and my daughter of three had a ball on the play ground set, this place is awesome if you have kids, yeh the place is old but it's absolutely great.......if this place is from the 70's then there's ja reason it's still in business.....I will definitely be back here.......pool over looks the beach, and the pier is right there.......please don't listen to the negative reviews, this place is awesome.........do what I did Jane give it a chance.......I would consider the folks that wrote all the negative reviews, id put money on it that they would complain at the Hilton also......I love the fact that I can park my car right outsider my room.....we got the downcast room, it's behind the main building and kind secluded, nice privacy and about a 30sec kwalk to the play ground and pool, extra 30 sec to the beach and pier..........loving this place already on day 1 of 4.......

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Gary M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atlantic Beach
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlantic Beach Oceanfront
Island Inn of Atlantic Beach
Island Inn of Atlantic Beach
#2 of 9 in Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Be...
#2 of 6 in Pine Knoll Shores
#4 of 6 in Pine Knoll Shores
Bask @ Big Rock Landing
Bask @ Big Rock Landing
#1 of 5 in Morehead City

Been to Oceanana Family Motel? Share your experiences!