“Love our Oceanana family and can't wait to come back!!!!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Oceanana Family Motel
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Atlantic Beach
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Love our Oceanana family and can't wait to come back!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2011

If you are looking for an upscale hotel, this one is not for you. However, if you are looking for a place where you can truely relax, you should check out Oceanana Resort at Atlantic Beach, N.C. The rooms are older and not fancy but always clean and comfortable. The atmosphere is so relaxing and family-oriented. There is plenty for the little ones to do while the adults unwind. The playground is unique....games, bike paths, swings, and slides. The hotel even provides everything you need for a cookout ,except the food. The pool is large and very clean and the private beach is never crowded. This place is perfect for a family vacation!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank NanaLisa3

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Rocky Mount, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2011

My family has stayed at the Oceanana twice this season, once in May and once in June.
We absolutely enjoyed it. The rooms were clean and the staff was very friendly and helpful. Everything is very convenient and very close to the beach. Nice pool, wonderful, healthy free breakfast poolside and very close to the beach. The seagulls join you for breakfast, which was kinda fun. If you don't want to see seagulls at the beach, then you need to stay home. The playground was awesome, something for all ages and well maintained equipment.The amenities were great. They furnish grills, and have plenty of them (you don't have to fight for a grill}, they furnish the charcoal and lighter fluid and if you need paper plates, condiments, etc. they are there as well. The only thing they don't supply for gilling is the food and the chef haha. One of my favorite amenities was the chairs and umbrellas. It was so nice to walk out of my room, go down to the beach, and just ask for a chair and umbrella and their very curtious staff took them right down on the beach for me and set them up. I have never gone to a hotel that did not charge for this. If you are looking for a very family oriented motel, convenience, relaxation and wonderful amenities, then Oceanana will be a great place.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank SandraWHIG
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2011

Do not bring your young children to this hotel. It is not safe in terms of both layout and associated hotel company.

The website is misleading. Although it looks nice online and appears to be a great place for children, once you pull into the parking lot, you will have a completely different impression. I was 7 mos. pregnant with my husband and 2 year old toddler. We were given a room on the 2nd floor which I was going to try to accommodate despite a sever hip condition. However, once looking at the room and the walkway, we had to request another room. The second floor is extremely dangerous for little ones as there is no safety railings preventing them from falling through the beams. Further, there is a large gap between the walkway and where the first horizontal beam began. We were astonished that this was even legal. The room was outdated and very small - maybe 12 x 15 (or so) w/ 2 queen beds and a couch squeezed in. The toilet was a baby toilet - what you would see in a preschool for 3 year olds - that I had to ask my husband to help me off of. Further, at 180lbs and ready to deliver, I could not fit into the small shower to clean off. It didn't feel clean - it felt caked with layers and years of disgusting. Definitely not a place to go barefoot and would be good to bring your own pillow (disposable) along w/ your own blankets - one to lye on and one to cover up with. We were offered another room at $50 extra per night. It was on the first floor, was safer and further away from the rif raff. By the way, I wasn't aware you could honorably fit 10 folks into one 12 x 15 room? Once getting into the 2nd room which was larger, we dropped everything in and immediately left to get dinner (9pm too late for the pregnant lady). We picked up groceries and came back to the room. Upon using the bathroom for the first time, we saw dried urine on the seat along with someone's pubic hairs. Closer examination of the room revealed stained towels, bedspreads which were covered in pills, and a floor which could be described as, "slimy" by my husband who may be considered an outdoorsman.

At 10:30pm, exhausted and completely grossed out, I booked the Sheraton down the street for over 2x's what this hotel was charging. To be reasonable, I offered the Manager a portion of the stay since we did not take full inventory of the room before darting out to get food. However, we found him to be as slimy as the floor grabbing at every dollar he could offering $100 for the 3hrs the room was ours (while we were out). At this point, we just wanted out, agreed, and booked it to the Sheraton arriving at nearly midnight. Compared to the Oceana, the Sheraton was like walking into heaven.

I should mention that while I was speaking w/ the Manager, another lady was complaining at the front desk. Apparently her room, "still smelled like cat urine." The Manager had apparently failed to cover the odor up completely with whatever spray he used earlier in the day. She also complained that the ceiling was leaking into her bed and that nothing had been done about that. ............Perhaps we received one of the better rooms.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank BearCubs4

Travelers are raving about these Atlantic Beach hotels

Wilson, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2011

I've been going here for the past 5 years and I love the place. It's true that some of the rooms aren't as updated as others right now, so if your really picky about things like that it may not be satisfied with this motel. Off season you get free pier fishing, in season free breakfast. The staff is great...very helpful as well. They have plenty of games and equipment for kids of all ages, a pool and everything seems to be so conveniently located. What I do dislike is that if your a light sleeper, other guests (especially kids) may keep you up by running, being loud, and slamming the sliding glass doors.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Amber1023
Greenville, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2011

My husband and a few of our friends go to Oceana every year. It is the perfect place to go! The pool is great to lay out by if you dont want to get sandy & you dont even have to bring you own lounge chairs--they provide them, even for the beach! If you are the type of person who is going to be outside most of the time it is the best place to go! The guys could fish at the pier while us girls laid out. They also have grills provided with charcoal, condiments, plates and cultery for you to use. All you have to purchase is what ever you desire to cook on the grill. I have to say that it is the best place to stay at if you dont mind an outdated room/hotel. They do have new AC units that YOU CAN CONTROL because in our two night stay I FROZE & BURNT UP my husband and our friends! The beds are not the softest things ever but hey--its a bed. They do have old outdated heating systems (im guessing) lining one side of the wall on the floor--not very safe if you have kids. I would recommend Oceana to anyone! It is the best place to stay at the beach--they offer it all. You do recieve a free pass for the pier each day you are there, all you have to do is ask the office attendant for it.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PittCoBorn-N-Raised
Chocowinity, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2010

This resort was wonderful! It felt just like home. My husband and I were amazed at all that was included for the price we paid. We’ve stayed at several hotels before, some costing per night what this one cost our whole vacation with nothing included. This was the first time we have ever stayed somewhere and didn’t have to worry about anything. The staff was great and very friendly. The hotel suite was a very nice size. It was also very well stocked. We loved the fact that it had separate sections so everyone didn’t have to be cramped up in one room. This is the kind of place that makes you remember what family is really all about. We will definitely be going back for repeat vacations. In my opinion this resort beats a 5 star hotel any day.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank ldydva
Winston Salem, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2010

We read all the reviews about this place and thought we'd give it a chance anyway. Upon arrival, we knew we should have heeded the warning from all the other reviewers. This place is sooo old and outdated, which is unfortunate because the staff were super polite and the location really is perfect. The room felt slightly like a prison cell might, with cement block walls, uncomfortable beds and old, mis-matched, stiff furniture lining the walls. And there was exposed, rusted pipe lining the ceiling of the room.

If you have kids and don't anticipate spending much time inside the hotel, this place might work for you, but otherwise, seriously, don't stay here.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sardawg
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atlantic Beach
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlantic Beach Oceanfront
Island Inn of Atlantic Beach
Island Inn of Atlantic Beach
#3 of 9 in Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Be...
#2 of 6 in Pine Knoll Shores
#1 of 5 in Morehead City
Clam Digger Inn
Clam Digger Inn
#5 of 6 in Pine Knoll Shores

Been to Oceanana Family Motel? Share your experiences!