“Oh my...”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Shark Shack

Shark Shack
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Fast Food
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Fresh seafood and Tacos, wraps, blackened fish, fried oysters, crab cakes, grouper bites, shrimp burgers, angus burgers, grilled or blackened tuna, and daily fresh seafood specials, prepared by Chef Tom!
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Oh my...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2011

Drove by this place several times over the week and always wanted to check it out... but it closes way too early! Finally made it by for lunch. Three picnic tables which were already taken, and a friendship bar which had no bar stools. We stood around the bar with hornets that we basically could have named as they were flying around us as pets. I know I know... outdoors and there will be insects. Working in restaurants for ten years you know good and well there are tricks to keep them away. $30+ for three people and three sodas. Our friend ordered the fish taco. Good value, large taco (more of a burrito really). That one was good. I was burned out on seafood and ordered a simple chicken ceaser wrap with a side of pasta salad. I hate to say this, as I wish everyone the best, but it was the worst pasta salad I've ever had and I LOVE pasta salad. I love golden italian dressing too, but it was dripping off of the pasta. Two bites was too much unfortunatly. Chicken... the chicken was dry. It wasn't horrible, but it made me reassured that I'm done with chicken ceaser wraps because it was too expensive to gamble on. THE KICKER.... The special on the board this day was "2 Seadogs w/slaw and side - $8.99" My boyfriend thought this sounded interesting... what's a sea dog! We started talking after he ordered it and we all agreed he initially thought he ordered two hot dogs, but for $8.99? They HAD to be something like a shrimp burger but a shrimp hot dog? A Shark Shack creation for sure! Food arrives... two regular ol hotdogs with no slaw, no nothing. They had forgotten that part (and cocktail sauce, for hotdogs... making it a seadog I guess?) which is no big deal, simple fix. Waitress brought it right out. Lesson learned today... we spent way too much money. WAY too much money for what it was. I hope these people take from this, because it's a cool concept without a glimmer of hope.

• Visited August 2011

PennsylCarolina
“Good Ol' Boys But Definitely Not Restauranteurs”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2011

I've eaten here (eat-in and take out) several times and everytime I've thought I should write a review to point out some flaws; so this review is the sum of several experiences. First, there is one menu item only that merits eating here: the grouper sandwich. Everything else gets a pass. Second, the wait is, as most other reviewers point out, needlessly long. This appears to be a family operation in which food preparation is done like you would fix dinner at home, i.e., one meal at a time from start to finish then start on another meal. It's painful to watch. A lesson in restaurant management would do wonders. And finally, the place closes early. I pulled in just after 9PM from a long drive on a Friday evening in summer (peak arrival time for many people traveling to the beach for the weekend) only to find the chairs on the tables and the kitchen staff cleaning up. Atlantic Beach and Bogue Banks are getting a reputation among young people as beach-goer versions of nursing homes, but closing before 9 on a weekend in the height of summer is rediculous. Drive on to the Big Oak drive-in in Salter Path--it has everything that Shark Shack has and more.

• Visited July 2011
Raleigh, North Carolina
“won't be back”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2011

We've given the place a try every year for the past three and I'm giving up. It has very limited outdoor seating, three picnic tables in a grassy area and two long bar height tables with two barstools. Plan on standing a while. Places like this tend to change staff each season so we were willing to give it another try, but there has been no improvement in service or food. We won't go back again. The wait is way too long for a super casual atmosphere and fried food. We waited over an hour for seven plates of fried shrimp and french fries to go in styrophome containers. It was not crowded, two orders in front of ours. Once we got back to our beach house to eat which was five blocks away, everyone's food was cold. The food is a bit overpriced especially for cold fried food.

• Visited July 2011
Denarau Island, Fiji
“Don is the owner and a great guy with a awesome place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2011

Basically. Order a beer and eat it all! NC beaches need more places like the Shark Shack instead of all the chains they put in your face. Eat at the Shack!!

• Visited June 2011
Richlands, North Carolina
“Some good Some bad”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2011

Visited the Shark Shack on Saturday 25 June and I had the grouper sandwich which was served with coleslaw and I opted for the Pasta salad instead of fries because I got onion rings. My Wife had the fish Taco basically a fish wrap and she opted for the sweet potato fries. My other friend had the crab cake with sweet potato fried and a chicken tender plate was ordered for her daughter. The good: the fish taco was good and so was the grouper sandwich, the sweet potato fries were okay. The onion wrings with the dipping sauce was really good. The bad: The crab cake was mushy and under cooked, the chef came out and explained that it was fresh blue crab and how much he paid a pond for it but it didn't the fact that it was just not good. the pasta salad and the coleslaw were obviously left out in the sun or the or on the counter or something. I paid the price later that day and it was not pleasant, it was the only thing I ate the rest of the day.
Bottom line get the main dishes stay away from the crab cakes and the side dishes other than onion rings and sweet potato fries.

• Visited June 2011