“Fantastic Find”

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Atlantic Beach
Charlotte, NC
“Fantastic Find”
Reviewed March 24, 2011

I needed a place to stay for week that allowed me to work during the day and visit with family who had come in from Texas for a week and bring one of my dogs. No way I could get any work done at my parents with 4 adults and 2 kids running around all day, but I was not able to take time off from work due to a project. They had free wi-fi so I was able to work.

It didn't have a fitness center, but since it is close enough to walk to the beach who needs a fitness center. Loved walking/running with my dog down to the boardwalk and on the beach and around the neighborhood. Always felt safe.

Even though there were people on either side of me most of the time I heard nothing, they have done a good job with the sound proofing. And the rooms are just adorable. I had a Queen Effic Suite so I could cook and save some money. I only ate out one night the whole time I was there so mission accomplished. I stayed a Sat - Sun (8 nights).

Even though I was working during the day I still had a good time. The location was close enough to walk to the beach at lunch each day and close enough to my parents that I did not have to spend a lot of time driving back and forth each night. Perfect location and the room was terrific. I was able to get my work done in a comfortable and clean environment. The staff was fantastic and the lady who cleaned my room even brought treats for my dog. The only thing I would ding them on is that the bed was too soft, but hey, I like a firm bed so it's more me than them. :) I am looking forward to my next stay!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank DoggieMom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Oak Island, North Carolina
Reviewed February 7, 2011

The rooms are clean and beautiful. The outside area was nicely landscaped and the pool was clean even in the winter I thought it was a great value considering the room was larger than an average motel room and the bed was really very comfortable. I would easily say this was the best night's sleep I have ever had in a motel. Staff was super nice and helpful .A very minor thing was the quality of the towels and washcloths. They were not what I would expect from this nice place. It was a great weekend and I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MiMi50010
Denver
Reviewed January 4, 2011

Basically someone previously had a cat in our room and I am allergic to cats…so the cat hair got on my night clothes and then on everything in my suitcase…not a good situation for me.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
North Carolina
Reviewed October 19, 2010

How people could rate this so highly I don't quite understand. We like to stay in nice places but aren't uppity by any means. We booked one of the apartments for a beach weekend based on the reviews here and the photos we saw. BAD MOVE. The apartment smelled of cigarette smoke and a scented spray smell (in an attempt to cover up the smoke smell I guess). The appearance of the sofa was ghastly, so dirty I wouldn't let my children sit on it without covering it with a comforter we'd brought with us. The carpets were dirty. The grout was disgusting. There was a dead roach in the doorway to the bedroom and I initially dismissed that to the fact it was the beach...but about an hour later a HUGE roach appeared over the bed alive and well. I killed that one with a flip flop. The granite countertops had been damaged and this place certainly wasn't maintained after it was renovated in 07'. (We learned later that the owners of the motel, who were smokers and had pets, lived in this apartment for a while-that answered a lot of questions for us). All surfaces (kitchen, tables, including the fridge and other appliances, even the bathroom) had been wiped down with a dirty rag so they were streaked and smeared. When we returned from a quick walk on the beach we made a run to the Rite Aid and bought clorox wipes and roach killer, still giving this place the benefit of the doubt. We cleaned the apartment thoroughly and put the roach killer down. We even ran all the dishes/utensils through the dishwasher they were so icky. The kicker...we went to go to bed and pulled down the bedspread and there, a dead cockroach was stuck to the inside of the cover. Then...oh, it gets better...we picked up the pillows to arrange them and out runs a huge LIVE cockroach and before I could get the roach killer, it disappeared under the bed. At that point we called the emergency number and the owners came over. The ONE nice thing I have to say is that they were very kind and understanding. They did try to get us to stay in another of their units but we were just so grossed out we needed to get away from this place. We knew we wouldn't sleep for fear of waking to roaches crawling on us. We ended up in a neighboring town in a chain hotel at midnight with exhausted children, but in a clean place to stay. The owners at The Island Inn did refund our money and we do thank them for that.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank monkeygirl4444
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed October 14, 2010

My family traveled to Atlantic Beach for my brother's wedding on 10/10/2010 and I made my reservations at the Island Inn based on their display of each and every room on their website: IslandInnresorts.com. When I phoned and made my reservation, Miss Loretta at the front desk suggested that I take the end room of a building for the grassy area, since I took my little dog. My room was also near the grill area that I used for lunch. The layout of the rooms was fabulous and the ameneties included a full size stove and microwave, coffee maker, and most important were the tiled floors since no one wants a musty carpet wet from the beach or pool. Before the week was out almost everyone in the family had moved from their original hotel to the Island Inn!!! With the atmosphere, I felt that I was indeed on an island! I will definitely spend more time here and my family has discussed making this an annual retreat at the same time every year.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank kendrickpswife
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed September 28, 2010

The room was in a great location, blocks from the beach...however the floors were extremely dirty. Outside our room were extremely large wood cockroaches, visible everywhere. We also found two small cockroaches in our room. It did have a microwave and a small refrigerator. The pool was small but clean.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MommainNC
Barre, Vermont
Reviewed June 3, 2010

I found the Island Inn after searching for family friendly accommodations during a nearby cities summer military event. I have gone there for 4 years! Our child was a baby then...it was owned by a sweet couple. They recently sold the place and share ownership.

I was nervous about this but the new people are a riot. I called to find out if they were operating and man said "Yeah we just doubled the prices that's all" (Funny even if they did double the prices they wouldn't be as expensive as their neighbors) the man begun to laugh and said "I'm just kidding, come on down!" I was surprised to visit and see nothing changed. the housekeeper remembered us and left us extra towels.

Each standard room has a pull out bed and a big bed...the pullout was perfect for our son. They also come standard with a mini fridge and a microwave and coffee maker. (Bigger rooms are available, but this one always fit our needs)

The place is located near the aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores and Fort Macon. It is a block walk to the beach. Are several beach stores right next to it a McDonalds, a grocery store, a small movie theater and of course its right near the causeway which has some great places to eat.

Atlantic beach is quiet and family friendly. They have alot of sand sports setups which make it easy to make some friends. The beach is clean and the sea shelling is good!

I love it here a visit a few times a year keeps me sane!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank jetsetter098
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atlantic Beach
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlantic Beach Oceanfront
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Be...
#2 of 6 in Pine Knoll Shores
#7 of 9 in Atlantic Beach
Palm Suites of Atlantic Beach
Palm Suites of Atlantic Beach
#9 of 9 in Atlantic Beach

Been to Island Inn of Atlantic Beach? Share your experiences!