“Not a pleasant experience”
Review of Island Grille

Island Grille
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Island Grille is a small restaurant on Atlantic Beach. We specialize in keeping our menu fresh and try to accommodate both those with a thirst for fresh seafood and those who would rather try a traditional dish with a new perspective. Although we would love to accommodate everyone who walks in our door reservations are recommended and the restaurant is LIVELY! You may be seated close to other guests, you may get visits from all of our staff throughout the night as they graze your table.. If you are looking for a great meal in a fun and fearless environment check us out on Monday or Tuesday during BOGO entree night. If you like things a little more laid back I recommend reservations any other day! But, I always recommend them!!! See you soon at The Island Grille! -Amiee Scott General Manager
Reviewed August 5, 2008

It was not a pleasant experience. It was pretty hot inside, combined with a cramped atmosphere. The portions were small, but the food was very good. The service was the biggest problem. While the waitress was very friendly, she only stopped by the table about every 20 minutes. It took over 30 minutes for our food to come out, and we couldn't seem to get drink or bread refills. The worst part was that the waitress added her 20% tip to each of our bills...I understand that it is standard for many restaurants to add a 15% gratuity to parties of 6 or more, but it was incredibly tacky that she hand-wrote in her tip for each of us (with no more than 2 people on each bill) on the credit card slip, especially after such horrible service. Good food, cute restaurant, poor service.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Beaufort, North Carolina
Reviewed July 24, 2008

Very good place to eat!!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed June 27, 2008

My husband, son, and I dined at the Island Grille the first night that we arrived in Atlantic Beach in June 2008. We got there when they opened at 5 PM so we were their first customers. It was a Sunday evening and by the time we left around 6 PM only one other table was occupied. The lady that served us was very friendly and offered to have the cook make a more simple dish of buttered pasta with shrimp on the side for our son which he loved. I had the crabcakes which were very good and my husband loved the tuna dish.
As the other reviews have stated this is a small restaurant but we liked the relaxed, friendly environment and enjoyed being able to see the ocean through the windows. Since the meals are a bit pricey (which seemed to be the case with most of the restaurants we went to in that area) I would make sure to go on a Monday or Tuesday night if we were to go again since those are the nights they have their 2 for 1 specials.

Reviewed June 13, 2008

We went here a few days after Memorial Day on a Wednesday night and it was almost completely empty. We had basically the restaurant to ourselves, which coupled with the rain gave it a warm atmosphere. Our server was very nice and helpful. The food was good, but the menu describes fancy-sounding items that end up being pretty simple. Definitely not bad though, just a little expensive (what isn't here?) and simple. 2 entrees, 1 app, and a $25ish bottle of wine came to $100 with tip. Definitely wouldn't eat here regularly if it were in my hometown, but it was a fun experience and worth a try.

1  Thank Dore08
Reviewed May 30, 2008

Island Grille is a smallish beach hideaway, which, to my thinking, makes it charming. I love the casual atmosphere, and maybe 2 or 3 times a week, you'll find me plopped on a barstool enjoying some wonderful chardonay and chatting with other locals and tourists. The staff has been there for almost ten years, so, it's easy to get to know them if you frequent. The interesting seafood dishes just makes it more special.