“Perfect”

The Sand Dollar Motel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Atlantic Beach
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I have been staying at the dollar since 2009. The location is perfect for me and my family. It is just a short walk to the beach and a short drive to anything you want to do on the crystal coast. The owners are wonderful and the rooms are clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2012
5  Thank seahorsefan
sanddollar2006, Owner at The Sand Dollar Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

Thank you so much for the wonderful review and for being a loyal guest. .
Always makes us feel so happy to know when guest enjoyed there stay with us.
Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed July 14, 2012

We stayed for three days and loved every minute of it! Had booked a room with double beds, but when we arrived we were offered the king suite. It was so spacious and clean! Now we don't think we would even want any other room! We'll request the same one next time we book. Very close to the beach. We like to fish at Fort Macon, so we liked the proximity to that. Some people might not like a lot of "rules" to follow, but we were grateful for the non-smoking policy, noise regulation, and overall family atmosphere. We knew we were safe and felt very much at home. Thank you for a wonderful stay! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Kenneth D
Management response:Responded July 15, 2012

Thanks for the nice review.
So glad that you have a nice stay with us and hope to see you again.
I certainly enjoyed talking to you.
I love getting to know my guest.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

This motel (if thats what you want to call it) is the most disappointing and unwelcoming place I have ever stayed!!! I made reservations about 2 weeks in advance...I told the lady I spoke to that we had 5 occupants....when we came I had 2 additional children because their parents had a family emergency and we had reservations so we decided to just bring the children with us. I CLEARLY told them how many was coming and their ages...I was quoted one price and then he tried to charge me an extra 100 dollars when I checked in....He then got extremely hateful when I confronted him about the over charge....OK heres the good part!!!

The first night we stayed...he wouldnt allow 2 of our adults to stay in the room so me and my husband had to sleep in our vehicle...Then we were told we needed to check out by 9 instead of 11 so he could get our other room ready....we left at 9am stayed out till 3pm, when we returned SAM...was so rude and arrogant and told us he was going to still charge us an extra 100 dollars because we had 7 people in our party....I was suppose to have the 3 bed efficiency which is plenty of room for all of us considering I had 3 adults, a 14 year old and 3 small children ages 7 and under....Sam was charging me 10 dollars each for my 14 year old, 1 adult and one of my small children even though their website clearly states 6 dollars per child extra...I was charged 132 dollars for 1 night at this dump!!! REALLY!!!! Then he was so rude and thought by cancelling my reservations he would ruin our vacation....Well we found a place to fit our family in 2 rooms for less than the Sand Dollar dump!!! I wouldnt stay at this trap if someone paid me a million dollars.....ANYONE THINKING ABOUT STAYING HERE RUN RUN RUN!!!! These people are the rudest people I have ever met and they dont deserve to have customers the way they treat people!!! Oh and you are not allowed to have any visits from people, you are not allowed to have any sand on you if going in the room...WE ARE AT THE BEACH!!! You are only allowed a few towels and you must reuse them...they wont give you a trash bag to put wet clothes in...These people are greedy, rude and obnoxious...RUN as fast as you can to another place to stay....Its also funny they have an excuse for every negative comment on here....Go ahead and try to make an excuse for this....

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank wldwestnc
sanddollar2006, Owner at The Sand Dollar Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2012

This review is not truthful and should be remove from TripAdvisor.
This woman was deceitful to us as soon as she came to check in.
She had insufficient funds on her credit card and could not pay for her full stay.
Her reservation was for 5 people and she showed up with more people than we allowed in a room, and yes there is a charge for extra people.
We never told her that they had to sleep in the car. She only had a room with 2 beds for 7 people.
She told us that she had blankets and pillows for some of them to sleep in the car.
All the extra people still used the room for showers and etc.
Knowing that she had no money on her credit card we requested a security deposit of $100 that would be given back at check out if the room had no damages and they had not smoked in the room. There is a sign in the office that if you have no credit card that you have to put up a security deposit. This is for anyone staying here. At that time she became mad and rude. We decided that the best thing to do was to ask her to leave. She was only charged for the night she stayed. Our other guest told us they where glad that we ask them to leave also.
She told us she would be writing a very bad review.
We will not be threaten by people like this.

Reviewed June 25, 2012

My three daughters and I stayed for four days here in the efficiency apartment. There was a separate bedroom with two double beds, and the living room/kitchen had a couch and a double bed. It was close to the beach, quiet, and CLEAN. I have a roach phobia, so 'no bugs' is a big deal to me. I felt confidant that it was so clean that no bug would ever dare - even at the beach. The room is a little dark because of one window, but that's not a big deal. The owners are always there and were happy to exchange our can opener and toaster when we had some minor problem with them. I would recommend this place. Great A/C, cable, reliable wifi, great place to park (right in front).

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Nancy S
Management response:Responded June 26, 2012

Thank you so much for the wonderful review.
We really enjoyed have you and the girls stay with us.
Also thanks for letting us telling us about the can opener and toaster!
Hope you come visit with us again.
Great Guest!!!

Reviewed June 2, 2012

Stayed there twice in the apartment. Both times very very pleased. Great price for the room, excellent AC, always incredibly clean and NO BUGS anywhere like most places at the beach, trust me, my mother looks. The apartment has full kitchen amenities with a smaller type stove, microwave, full-size refrigerator, full size coffee maker, 2 pc. toaster,a full size sink, and a table, small couch. The kitchen is stocked with dishes, silverware, pots, pans, etc. One level, no stairs to walk up, 2 full size beds in the back room, a dresser with the ac which cools the entire place and one bed in the main area with the kitchen, a small sofa, kitchen table, a wonderful large walk-in shower. About 1 1/2 block walk to the ocean with public access that has a public restroom, a gazebo, with a few parking spaces. The owners have been nice and accommodating both times and keep the place in great shape. It is a older, small inn/motel and we hated to leave. For families on a budget who don't need the high rise hotels with the crappy continental breakfast for 3 times the price --this is the place.

Room Tip: 3 bed apartment
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank richap
sanddollar2006, Owner at The Sand Dollar Motel, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2012

Thanks you so much for the PERFECT review.
We really enjoyed having you stay with us.
I also enjoyed our conversation!
Hope to see you next year.
Thanks again.

Reviewed April 30, 2012

the best deal & very nice owners Sam & Trisa,the motel is older, but looks new,very very clean,nice rooms,apartments have 2 rooms,living room & bedroom,&kitchen,will always stay here,Sam didnt have basic room,so whe got the apartment for same price,thanks Sam.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank james b
sanddollar2006, Owner at The Sand Dollar Motel, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2012

Thank you so much for the wonderful review.
We really enjoyed having you stay with us and getting to know you.
Hope to see you soon. So wonderful to have guest like you!

Reviewed April 13, 2012

Visited with wife. We were referred by family and I was a little skeptical at first, but the motel is clean and well-managed. This is a family-oriented area and loud parties will be challenged. The owners, Tricia and Sam are good folks, very friendly and helpful. The beach is within walking distance...only a block or so from your front door. The rooms are pretty much motel size, and the rates are reasonable, not for the Taj Mahal. There are only a couple of things to mess up a visit...bad weather and the fish not biting. Otherwise, you'll have a good time here and, if you don't, it's your own fault.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank prosearchco
sanddollar2006, Manager at The Sand Dollar Motel, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2012

Thanks for your very nice review. Hope to see you again and I have the fish will be biting for you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Atlantic Beach
#3 of 9 in Atlantic Beach
4 mi away
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlantic Beach Oceanfront
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Be...
#2 of 6 in Pine Knoll Shores
Sandpiper Motel
Sandpiper Motel
#9 of 9 in Atlantic Beach
Econo Lodge Crystal Coast
Econo Lodge Crystal Coast
#5 of 5 in Morehead City

Been to The Sand Dollar Motel? Share your experiences!