Peppertree Atlantic Beach, a Festiva Destination
Virginia
“B Minus”
Reviewed August 12, 2007

This is a nice facility but the customer service is horrible. Maybe it was because the facility was in the process of going through a transfer of ownership from Equivest to Festiva but I have never had such poor customer service. No one answers the phone when you call a number. You get an endless ringing phone or a full mailbox. When you get someone, they don't know the answer to your question. If you ask for extra hand soap, you never get it. They ignore your requests. They have a small number of beach umbrellas and people literally fight over them every morning. I felt like I was completely abandoned the week I was there. The indoor pool is anything but - its just an outdoor pool with a covering over it. It would be nice to have a true indoor pool to escape the searing heat. If you like staying at a facility and don't need any help from the place, then this is a good place to stay. If you need anything extra, then skip this place.

• Liked — It was quiet.
  • Disliked — Customer service was horrible. Worst I have ever experienced at a resort.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Washington, DC
Reviewed July 29, 2007

We just returned from a week-long visit at Atlantic Beach Villas. We stayed in building 32, one of the newer buildings. The villas are situated across the street from the ocean, however keep in mind that Atlantic Beach is mostly vacation homes, so there was no commercial junk blocking our view of the dunes and a bit of the ocean.
The best thing about the villas is the layout of the rooms, and the ability to cook your own meals. With small kids in tow, this made for really easy mealtimes.
I do, however, think that they forgot to install insulation between the units. We stayed on the 2nd of three floors, and normal walking around above us (and opening cabinets) sounded like there was a heard of elephants (and at times I could swear someone was chopping wood up there). We could also hear normal conversations on either side of our unit. Oh, and I also felt the need to vacuum and sweep as soon as we arrived. The carpets and floors were a bit sticky, but that's to be expected for beach lodging.
I would definately go back to Atlantic Villas, simply because of the spacious accomodations and location. I will bring earplugs, though!

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank meable
Holly Springs, North Carolina
Reviewed June 9, 2007

We just returned from spending the weekend at Atlantic Beach Villas, aka Peppertree Resort. The location was good, just a short walk to the beach. Our suite was just okay. The buildings are older and we could hear every step the people above us were taking. There was also quite a bit of hair on the bathroom floor, vanity, and also in the bathtub. That's a huge turn-off for me! We arrived at 3:40pm, with check-in being at 4. I understand that these hotels have to follow rules, but we were in the middle of a strong thunderstorm and were hoping to be able to check in a few minutes early. The receptionist informed us that our room wasn't ready yet (20 min. before check-in!) and we would have to wait till "around 4". Since our child was scared of the storm, we decided to wait in the office. Lo and behold, 10 minutes later, our room was miraculously clean. (Besides, most of the suites on our floor of the building were unoccupied over the weekend, so I doubt very much that there was an issue with getting our suite cleaned.) I must also add that the person in the office was NOT friendly in any way. We would not stay at this resort again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lack of clean bathroom; unfriendly office staff
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank puglove05
Bridgeport WV
Reviewed March 28, 2007

We have been to the Crystal Coast many times and stayed in many hotels and by far this is the best yet. You can rent an apartment for a very resonable price and get alot for your money. The location is very conveinent only 10 miles to the aquairium and a Food Lion is practicly across the street if you need groceries if you are staying in one of the apartments. Also there is Fort Macon down the road and many beach bum shopping stores nearby.
Its also only a 30 -45 min drive and a real awsome boat ride to a practicly deserted island where the Capelook out light house is, I recommend this to anyone who is interested to see what an island looks like with virtually no houses or building on it.

The rooms were very clean, the kitchen and bathrooms were clean and they had good water pressure for taking a shower, sometimes some hotels near the beach don't have good water pressure which makes it hard to get sand off of you, so this was a plus to us. Room service however doesn't come and make your beds and take out trash but if you dont care about doing simple stuff like making your own bed or taking out trash from time to time, then its no big deal.

The hotel has its own private walk to the beach and during the day you can barrow umbrellas and chairs, so you dont have to bring your own, and if you prefer they have three pools one of which is indoors. There are also a few laundry facilities through out the Hotel and were clean as well.

I highly recommend this hotel, because it was conveinent, quiet and clean and a great place to bring the family.

• Liked — Quiet, Clean, Convienent, Relaxing
  • Disliked — Nothing Really
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
6 Thank darkstargoddess1
Houma, LA
Reviewed October 27, 2006

My family and I stayed here in August 2006. This place is awesome. Expected a hotel room and got a whole apartment! We were a five minute walk from the beach. The apartment was clean and had everything you could possibly need. I was very pleased with my overall experience and highly recommend Atlantic Beach Villas to others.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — no
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank arichards170
Maryland
Reviewed April 13, 2006

We stayed at Peppertree for a week in unit 13B with my husband and 3 kids ages 3, 7 and 10. I read reviews from this site prior to going and it really helped me. When we arrived the room had an odor of cigarette smoke. I called the office at 9pm and they sent someone up within 20 mins with an ionizer machine. We had to leave for about an hour, but when we came back the odor was completely gone. I was very impressed with the quick service. We had absolutely no problems with service. Everyone there was extremely nice and helpful. The Recreation dept was very helpful- I would suggest going to the Monday morning meeting to find out what is available to do in the area. They have loads of board games that you can keep (up to 3) for the week.

The beach was very close about 5 mins and very nice. The pools were very nice and clean. The tennis courts were nice and got much use from the people that stay. Our unit overlooked the tennis courts and one of the pools. The playgrounds are outdated, but my kids did not care. My 3 year old loved the sand box and my big kids liked the see saws and swing. There may be a playground in the newer section that is probably nicer, never got there.

Here is my only beef with the place... the room. It was ok. They are obviously doing a lot of work to the place- adding elevators and new windows, which by the way was not noisy work. Units 1-25 are older. Our unit had a decent kitchen with nice appliances and was nicely decorated, but it needed some work. We had the old windows. Our bathrooms needed to be redone, our shower door did not shut properly, old sink fixtures, etc. The jacuzzi tub was big, but older, my older kids loved it after the pool. I could hear the people above stomping around and could also hear every time they opened up the sliding glass door from the bedroom, which woke me up several times one night. ( i guess someone was a smoker and was going outside?) Also, the breeze was gorgeous when you opened the windows, but at midnight the water treatment center next to the housekeeping would "turn on" and it was quite noisy. I had to shut my window. By the last night I slept right through it though. It was a mediocre room that needs some work, which they are doing. My guess is units 26 and up are gorgeous, would have loved to have seen them.

Restaurants- Best was Loughry's Landing- best food and most reasonable. Watermark very good too.

I would go back, but I would definitely shoot for the newer units 26 and up.

• Stayed April 2006
21 Thank Christine J
law123_8, an owner of 2 units here at Peppertree Atlantic Beach, a Festiva Destination, responded to this review, August 30, 2008
This review stayed here in 2006. I own unit next door but I toured 13 B that she wrote about. It is absolutely gorgeous and I have pictures of that specific unit. (2008) It would be very misleading to people to only take higher numbered units now. peppertree is a very very nice place and no. 1 or 2 on my list of the 8 units I own from Va beach to Myrtle. She gave a good review of place in general but I tried to add pictures for people to see and was unable. Even the pictures on your page are old or not like any room I have seen there. I will try and add pictures again. There are also elevators there now and I noticed another review was prior to that.
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 4, 2006

I rented what I thought was a hotel suite through hotels - we were SO pleasantly surprised to arrive at this property and find that we received a very spacious one bedroom APARTMENT. This is all timeshare apartments that are rented out. It's a really nice property, the apartment was wonderful with a cute balcony you could even sit and eat out on. It was so worth the price and I wish we'd stayed longer. We didn't use many of the amenities, but we did overlook the indoor pool and hot tub, both of which looked wonderful. It is a 5 minute walk to the beach, but it is very pretty once there. There was some construction going on during our stay, but the only issue with it was that we had to enter our building through a different entrance and it was a bit of a trek. Do note that there are NO elevators or luggage services - so be prepared to lug your stuff! We were very happy with our stay and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2006
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atlantic Beach
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlantic Beach Oceanfront
Island Inn of Atlantic Beach
Island Inn of Atlantic Beach
#2 of 9 in Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Be...
#2 of 6 in Pine Knoll Shores
#1 of 5 in Morehead City
Palm Suites of Atlantic Beach
Palm Suites of Atlantic Beach
#9 of 9 in Atlantic Beach

Been to Peppertree Atlantic Beach, a Festiva Destination? Share your experiences!