“As expected” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hollowell's Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hollowell's Motel
You added Hollowell's Motel to your Saves list
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Atlantic Beach
Charlotte, North Carolina
“As expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

The rooms were very clean and the bed was more comfortable than expected. The furniture was dated, as we expected, but for $80/night it was a bargain. The biggest downside was that there was no coffee maker, and they didn't tell us that we needed to ask for it at the front desk until I complained at check-out. It would have been nice to know that before I woke up hungover, craving a good cup of coffee (I brought my own beans) and had to get dressed and drive to a coffee shop across the bridge. But it was well situated, we could easily walk over to the beach and boardwalk and it was easy to find.

Room Tip: Ask for the coffee maker upon check-in.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank laura p

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Midlothian, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We booked this motel after reading the reviews here. We stopped in Atlantic Beach for 2 nights on our way home from Myrtle Beach to visit the aquarium (family of 5). The room was clean, cozy and <2 blocks from the beach. The owner, Mike Lawrence, was very helpful and recommended several area restaurants including Amos Mosquitos which was excellent! We would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank g00dtexan
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I grew up spending my family vacations at Atlantic Beach. We used to have family member who lived in a A Place at The Beach condo who have now moved on. I wanted to take my two boys to the beach of my childhood, so we came to AB.
This was our first time ever staying at a hotel/motel rather than our families' condo so I didn't quite know what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised.
We rented the "efficiency" room for 3 adults and my 2 small children. They aren't kidding when they say efficiency - it is quite small, especially the bathrooms (being pregnant, showering was quite interesting in the very small quarters.) However, I thought this was overshadowed by the immaculate conditions. I appreciated that the bedroom had a door between the kitchenette/living area so my toddler could nap.
Having a cook range and refrigerator was a must for us, and a full sink was great.
Housekeeping was truly a gem - each day our room was cleaned by the time we returned for lunch (which was important, having two small pairs of sandy feet coming in and out all the time, our room got cluttered quickly.)
Whenever we had questions, Mike the owner was very prompt and helpful in answering.
The beach was close by - a 2 block walk, and the swimming pool was absolutely perfect for small kids. We mostly had the pool to ourselves, even on a holiday weekend, with the occasional poolside resident. The atmosphere was so laid back you felt like you were simply kicking back at a neighborhood barbeque.
The place felt safe & secure, we didn't worry if we forgot to lock the door behind us.
All in all, it was a great stay and I would have to agree with all the other positive reviews. I wish more hotels were run the way Hollowell's is.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Allison B
Hanover, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

This was our first vacation to Atlantic Beach (July 20th - July 26th) and I must say we found the perfect place to stay !

We did a little research of the area before selecting Atlantic Beach and found 2 places, the first being the Caribbe Inn, we called and they did not have any rooms available that had a kitchen, we then called Hollowell's and they did have a really nice spacious room available and the cost was very affordable as compared to renting a beach home, we spoke to Mike and a young lady and they were so very friendly and accommodating and answered all of our questions to say the least. We booked the room and made the drive South from Pennsylvania.

As soon as you come across the bridge this hotel is located a little off to the left and very easy to get in and out of the place, I would say it is located in a perfect spot. We pulled in and went inside and was greeted by Mike, what a great young guy who takes pride in the work he does managing this motel, he got us checked in very quick and easily, we got our assigned parking space and unloaded the truck, the room we had was on the 2nd floor and was perfect. Granted it's not a modern motel/hotel but it was extrememly clean and well presented and taken care of. It had everything we wanted or needed during our stay.

We quickly got unloaded and walked out of the back of the property and the beach is only a few minutes away, out the back and to the left and 2 blocks from the ocean, perfect location. We enjoyed the pool and it was well maintained every morning and was refreshing from the heat of the day.

We did stop in the office several times during our stay to ask some questions and always Mike was eager to help us out, the grounds are well mainatined as well.

We had our room freshened up every morning and those ladies are great and friendly. They do an amazing job on keeping the rooms basically spotless, kudos to a wonderful staff you have !

My better half even made some killer stromboli one night and we took some down to the office to share ......

Honestly, we had a really nice stay here and could not have asked for a better place, Mike and his staff earned our business and we do look forward to heading back down next year and we will stay here !

If you have a family this would be a really nice place to stay, it's affordable, very well mantained, has a really nice swimming pool and the beach is 2 blocks away and very safe to walk to, meaning no traffic, there are a few places within walking distance to eat at and also a surf shop across the street, we love the place ......

You do not find many older style family owned Motels/Hotels across the US anymore, this is why we called it a Hidden Gem .....

Enjoy your stay here !

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Bill W
Kenly, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

We stayed here for about 8 days and 7 nights. The staff was extremely nice and helpful. The rooms were clean and we had no problems getting clean linens for the next day. Considering this motel is right at the AB Circle, it was very quiet at night. We didnt have to go any where to see the fireworks. We went to the back by the pool and grilled out. It was awesome and one of the best fireworks displays I have ever seen. Sad to say but we had a death in the family and had to come back for one night. We talked with Mike and he assured us that everything would be just fine, and that he was sorry for our loss. Mike is a very kind person and good kind people is where I like to spend my time. I just cant get over how nice everyone was there. Didnt matter what time of the day or night it was, if you needed it they got it for you, if at all possible. Looking forward to our vacation next year with Hollowell's!

Room Tip: We had the very first room as you turn in the drive. Each room has their own parking space. I really...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Teresa B
Madison, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

we stayed at this hotel for a really spur of the moment trip to the beach for a weekend. It is a older hotel but i was surprised at how clean the hotel was. The staff was also very welcoming and truly acted as though they were grateful we were there. I would absolutely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jason D
Marion
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We just returned from our five night stay at Hollowell's Motel and it was a great stay. I was so amazed at how clean and neat they kept the room, if you needed anything at all they were right on it and didnt take there time to get around to it. The price and location was great and we couldn't have asked for better. The only down fall was that our room was small but I was told that going in to it but thats my fault because I waited until the last minute to get a room on the week of the 4th and it was the only room left. We didn't spend much time in the room except to sleep so that wasn't a problem. The pool was great, rooms were very clean and well kept up,great location, very friendly staff, and we will for sure stay there again. Thank you so much everyone at Hollowell's!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
#2 of 9 in Atlantic Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 212 reviews
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlantic Beach Oceanfront
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Be...
#2 of 6 in Pine Knoll Shores
Hampton Inn Morehead City
Hampton Inn Morehead City
#1 of 5 in Morehead City
4.5 of 5 stars 477 reviews

Been to Hollowell's Motel? Share your experiences!