“Growing Up”

41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Growing Up”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I lived in North Carolina all my life and for college moved to Florida. But this zoo has has been and always will be my favorite childhood memory growing up. Even as a adult I love going there to see the animals. I love the fact there tons of walk ways to walk on and plenty of trees to shade the area. I love watching the animals in the habitats, my favorite one is where you can go underground to see the polar bears swim around in the water. This place never gets old and it will be awesome experience to take your children at.

Visited May 2013

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Always a fun time”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

It's always fun to go to the zoo! My family loves the NC Zoo. Be prepared to walk. The animal habitats are very spread out. Even on the most crowded days the zoo never seems packed. My boys love lemur island! If you like zoos you will enjoy the NC Zoo!

Visited October 2013
Wilmington, North Carolina
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“A LOT of walking and how much you see depends on timing!”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

The zoo has done a wonderful job of creating natural environment for the animals which lets you feel like you are seeing them in their genuine habitats. However that also means that they may not be readably visible at the time you arrive. I would agree with previous reviews regarding the following. Strongly suggest getting there early when it opens at 9 as the animals seem to be out and about since feedings are coming up and the staff that are around do a great job of answering questions and providing information. In those situations the zoo is an incredible experience. That part of the experience is outstanding. At times there were herds of school kids running around but by 3:00 they and the exhibits seem to be winding down. Due to the recent death of the Polar Bear that exhibit was closed and will be for a while. Find out when the feedings are as that is great time to see each group. I think the $12 fee was very reasonable but the combo “add-ons” are only fun for kids. Heed the warnings about walking distances. It’s at least 10 miles of walking (up & down hills) and even more if you do any backtracking and there isn’t a lot of shade. The shuttle only goes from end to end with a stop in the middle. There is only food and drinks at the two entrances and tram stop in the middle which, like all entertainment parks, is lousy and way over-priced.

Visited October 2013
North Carolina, United States
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Zoooper!”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

we took our 7 year old to celebrate his birthday. He had lots of fun walking through the whole park and watching all the animals. the layout of the park is great! we even got to see a black garden snake right by the walking path! it was so cool. It was a very long walk, so if you are planning a trip, make sure to wear good walking shoes. We started at the North America side and walked all the way to the African side, by the time we were done with all that we were so tired and so glad that they have transportation for free to bring you back to were you stated! I would recommend bringing some of your own water otherwise you will be paying about $3 per bottle! a bit disappointed about the 4D movie, but other than that we had a great family day out!

Visited September 2013
Asheville, North Carolina
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“WOW a very large zoo!”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

The zoo was wonderful! We arrived early (9:15) and were able to see 95% of the animals. If you get there late most of the animals will be sleeping. My husband and I stayed for 5 hours and saw everything there was to see. We ate a hot dog at the Hot Dog Diner. Expensive but good. This is a great place for a family trip.

Visited September 2013