“North Carolina Zoo”
Review of North Carolina Zoo

North Carolina Zoo
Ranked #1 of 20 things to do in Asheboro
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Don't go when it's hot and humid! We visited on July 5 from 9a.m. to 1p.m. The weather affects how active the animals are and we didn't see much action. We were unable to see any gorillas because one gorilla was in labor. We couldn't see any giraffes because the grass was slippery. (Note: The zoo doesn't tell you this until after you're inside.) There was only one red river hog visible (sleeping) and only one lemur visible (sleeping). There were only 2 lions visible (sleeping). There were no arctic foxes visible. There was only 1 polar bear and it seemed to be suffering from captivity as it was circling repeatedly in and out of the water and was keeping mostly out of site of the people even though it has a nice, large enclosure.

The trams ran frequently and didn't require too long of a wait. however, they're purely for getting from one section of the park to another and not for viewing animals. You have to walk to see the animals. The nice thing was that most of the walkways were shady.

The chimpanzees and the baboons were fairly active. The way the sun was shining, there was a lot of reflection that made it a little hard to see the chimpanzees but if you waited long enough for people to come and go, you could maneuver to a spot where you could see them. It was nice how they had descriptions and names for each animal to help you identify them and learn more about them.

There are only hot dog/hamburger places to eat there and they all looked like outside eating. Would have been more satisfying and enjoyable if they had some air conditioned eating with more healthy choices, like a cafeteria. The only places that were cool were the gift shops and the arctic animal exhibit. They ought to have merchandising directly about their zoo, like merchandise for Acquila the polar bear and not just generic animal tshirts. Bottled water was $3 but they did have water fountains in several places too.

We did not visit the special exhibits (dinosaurs, ice age or 4D). We went to the zoo to see animals and didn't find many and didn't find that great of a variety. We were disappointed.

The zoo emphasized education in many of their exhibits - like living green, which I'm okay with but it got tiresome after awhile. Would have preferred more education about the animals.

Didn't find many restrooms. Finally went to the one behind the gift shop in the Africa section. There were only 4 or 5 stalls, no air conditioning, and a short line of hot, unhappy people.

No problem finding a fairly close parking spot in the Africa section at 9:30a.m.

1  Thank Claudia D

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We really enjoyed the zoo, and so did our eighteen-month-old grandson. It's so nice seeing the animals walking freely with lots of room, and to have many viewing spaces to observe them. Our grandson really got a kick out of the hyperactive otter who swam up to him many times behind the plexiglass. Even though the weather was hot and humid, the shade from the lush foliage made us feel as though we were walking through a rainforest - not a desert. The carousel and the very creatively designed playgrounds were great hits too, and there were lots of clean facilities and eating places.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I visited the zoo yesterday, Sunday July 7, 2013. Since we didn't have our son with us we just did 2 adult general admission tickets which were $12 a piece. The place was pretty much empty. I would say during the entire time there, we passed a total of 50 - 75 other guests, so I definitely recommend going on a Sunday. Fewer crowds and no bus groups. There weren't many animals. No bobcats, only 1 cougar, 1 polar bear, 1 black bear, 1 grizzly bear, 1 ocelot, 1 tiger, 1 lion, 1 elk, 1 red wolf. There were I believe 3 or 4 elephants, and 3 or 4 giraffes, 4 or 5 bison, there were many baboons. The 2 gorilla babies were adorable. There were I believe 4 other grown gorillas. All of the animals were very slow and sluggish, by no fault of the zoo, of course. It was a very hot day and I also just wanted to lay down. If you want to see up and active animals try to avoid extremely hot days. I'm rating this an average experience because of the amount of animals, not their active states. One animal in the majority of exhibits isn't really worth it. However... because admission is only $12 if you're in the area, and there's nothing better to do, go here. Traveling from out of state, you may want to find a different zoo. You are allowed to bring in your own food and drink, which I definitely recommend because the food is ridiculously priced. 2 slices of cheese pizza is $10, a bottled water is $3. We may return.. we might not.. Oh, and this place is extremely handicapped equipped. If you have a loved one wheelchair bound, they are able to go everywhere which is definitely a plus.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

This is a really nice zoo! The enclosures are HUGE! I love the way the zoo is split into two continents.
My daughter loved the carousel and the dino exhibit last fall was great!

Tip: Lots of walking so bring some water bottles to fill up at the many water fountains in the Zoo!

1  Thank Candlewood_GM_JKVNC
Reviewed July 3, 2013

My wife and I visited the zoo with our son and his family in June. It rained most of the time we were at the zoo and that kept some animals in their shelter. The NC Zoo is only one of two state owned zoos in the US. There are two main areas: "Africa" and "North America". At over 2,000 acres, it is the largest walk-through zoo in the world, So plan on doing a lot of walking. They do have a tram and we used that to get from Africa to North America. Food is overpriced but you expect that in such a facility. The scenery is beautiful and the animal habitats are large. We only saw one zoo staff member at the gorilla area. The grand kids wanted to see the dinosaurs exhibit (extra cost) but I think it is something best skipped. The zoo needs a little more cleaning but was not smelly. Lots of the staff are summer job kids. Overall I was a little disappointed and expected better.