Tot Hill Farm Golf Club
More attraction details
Owner description: Recently Rated 4.5 Stars 2008-2009 & Ranked the 7th Hardest Course in America by Golf Digest. Are you ready to experience the most breath-taking, awe-inspiring golf you've ever played? Mike Strantz, the designer of such greats as Tobacco Road, Caledonia, True Blue, Royal New Kent and Stonehouse, added yet another masterpiece to his collection with the creation of Tot Hill. Whether you live in the heart of North Carolina, traveling to the famed Pinehurst area for your next golf trip, or simply passing through to another southern golf destination, you will want to schedule a round at the 7th Toughest Course in America as rated by Golf Digest in 2007. It's a golf experience like no other.
Reviewed April 26, 2012

The course was well laid out and maintained, but the ranger the day we were there was a total jerk. After having problems with him 3 times, we left after 13 holes.

AMGP_THF, Manager at Tot Hill Farm Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2012

Rory, thank you for taking the time to review our facility, I am also disappointed your group had a bad experience. For everyone's enjoyment we do have a 2:15-2:30 per side pace of play policy, if a group is beyond this, we do make you aware of your pace and make suggestions to help. All of our Player Assistants have worked here for a minimum of 9 years with thorough training; hounding or rude behavior is not tolerated by our employees. Please give me a call at your earliest convenience, I would like to get more information from you, so this does not happen in the future. Alan Martini, Golf Professional, Tot Hill Farm Golf Club

All reviews
in 4 reviews
in 7 reviews
in 3 reviews

Reviewed April 16, 2012

I must agree with many of the other reviews. First, the good. The views and vistas, particularly from the tees, are amazing. Many tees are elevated, giving the golfer a view of the entire hole. Also, lunch (sandwich, chips and soda) was included in the greens fee. Now, the bad. While the tee shots were generally fair, the approach shots and greens were ludicrous. On many holes, if you miss the green by more the 3 yards, you're in an unrecoverable hazard. Imagine a green, with tall rock formations immediately beside it, then a set of bunkers on the opposite side of the rock formation. Many of the greens are severely sloped and have numerous tiers, some with 3+ foot drops. You should also be prepared for numerous false fronts. If they would add a carnival clown mouth to hit the ball through, it would make the experience complete. I'm convinced that Mike Stranz was on LSD when designing this one. I will not play this course again.

2  Thank mjbernatz
Reviewed March 16, 2012

I was visiting a friend who plays this course regularly. Being from the Midwest I found the scenery- especially the boulders fascinating. It was nice to have an experienced player with me because knowing what part of a green to hit to and areas to avoid is key. Even with that, I shot 6 strokes better in the afternoon round mostly due to knowing what to expect.

This is a target golf course. You can grip it and rip it at your own peril. I loved it!

Reviewed February 24, 2012

Gimmicky is the word that comes to mind and perpendicular rock walls in the fairway are for what?

See more reviews
Reviewed January 30, 2012

I played this course about a decade ago before the massive rain "washout" and redo. When I played the course it was a joke. Greens were ridiculously located with pin positions that you couldn't see, much less get the ball close to. Some greens were extremely small, some very large, and some shaped by an idiot. I have played several other Mike Stranz' courses and have enjoyed them. They are usually tough but fair. This course is a joke and a low handicapper will never play it twice, while average and high handicappers will probably shoot one of the highest scores ever.

3  Thank Ed S