“A Total Disapointment”
Review of Black Forest - MOVED

Black Forest
Cuisines: German
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 12, 2009

We've heard how good the Black Forest was for years but haven't been able to get there until this past monday. I have spent over 10 years in germany and was looking forward to an authentic german meal. Unfortunately I still am. It was the poorest excuse for german food I've ever experienced. the Wiener Schnitzel was soggy and over cooked. The sides were overly sweet and cold. We stayed overnight in Arden just to go to the Black Forest and it was a total waste of money.

1  Thank ScottyGeorgia
There are newer reviews for Black Forest

Reviewed October 17, 2009

We loved this place! Went here for our fifth anniversary. We like trying different things, and have never tried german, so we picked this place. The food was excellent and the service was great. I had a local broiled trout which was wonderful and my wife tried the german beef tenderloin. I definitely recommend this place for a romantic and cultural experience.

PS - The german beer was great also!!

Reviewed October 10, 2009

A short distance from Asheville and Biltmore Village, this restaurant was recommended by our B&B owner. We enjoyed it so much we went back for a second dinner which happened to be a night on witch all the German dishes were half-priced. Italian dishes are offered also but we loved the German entrees ...pork or veal schnitzel several different ways, sauerbraten, various wurtsts, all served with homemade red cabbage, warm potato salad, spaetzle. The schnitzel special I had was covered with a mushroom wine sauce and included a delicious potato pancake. I can't comment on appetizers because the portions were large and we wanted dessert.

Prices averaged $17 for pork, a couple dollars more for veal and ~$18 for sauerbraten. Italian dishes (veal marasala, parmagiana etc. were similarly priced.) The desserts, all $5.00 and made in-house are too die for! We loved the apple strudel and the chocolate mouse cake. Would have liked to try all six or seven selections. Many beers on tap.

The wine list of German as well as Australian and Californian wines was very well-priced. Lovely German atmosphere with a nice bar and large rear room for special affairs. Can't wait to go back to this area. Walked in without reservations on Sunday and Monday nights but would recommend them on the weekend as this is probably a popular place. Easily reached on Hendersonville Road, worth driving from Asheville and surrounding areas.

Reviewed October 9, 2009

My fiance and I went to North Carolina this year. He lived in Germany when he was in the army so when we saw a German restaurant we had to stop. He said the food tasted just like it did in Germany! It was amazing. We ate Jager Schnitzel. It came with Spatzel which was very different, but also amazing in taste. We loved the restaurant so much that we booked it for our rehearsal dinner this Oct! We can't wait to go back.

Reviewed June 7, 2009

I love the food, the atmosphere and drinks at the Black Forest. I have been going to eat there since i was a little girl. It is still the best place for a romantic and yummy dinner in Asheville.