“The Place Stunk”

Days Inn High Point/Archdale
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Archdale

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Paris
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I called and came into the front office before booking. My main question was about pets in the hotel. Online it states that the hotel is pet friendly and to see pet policy. There is none online to review. When I called and came over I was told pets were a $20 deposit and that my two small dogs could count as one. I asked was this deposit one time only and the young lady said yes. I paid for one night and asked if I need to book more nights does the rate change and was told no. I paid around $75. The hotel room itself wasn't great but for the time it was okay. The shower had corrosion and rust. We only have four hangers. The beds were sketchy so we slept under our own personal blankets. Seriously, the headboards have the grease and germs of every past guest. But hey we had cable including HBO, wi-fi, a mini fridge, a microwave, coffee maker (ancient and water logged coffee packs), a blow dryer, access to a business center that appeared to be well equipped and free breakfast.

I woke in the night to the fitted sheet and mattress cover coming off to reveal blood on my mattress. Although grossed out we had no where else to go with the dogs. We paid through the weekend at $57 per day with no mentioning of paying additional for pets as told. Card keys re-keyed and everything seemed fine. We used the business center. We avoided breakfast because they tell you one time, posted sign says another and no matter when you arrive there is nothing available. I've only seen packaged donuts/muffins, fruit, milk to pour, cereal and oatmeal packs. Apparently, there is danish, juice and coffee but once gone they audibly tell everyone they aren't re-filling it. Business center is fine unless the internet is down or the printer setting goes to a ghost printer. If you aren't computer savvy you will be at a lost because the staff can't help.

We each took turns paying for the the beginning of the week and that caused a rift. The owner noticed two cards on the account and seemed agitated one was not on file for "damages". He then noticed he hadn't charged me for the dogs so proceeded to hold my card until he made a miscellaneous charge of $17 and change. When I told him his staff must be uninformed he mentioned he would write the person up that originally checked us in but that wasn't the same person each night we paid!? Obviously, there was a major disconnect he himself was unaware of. So the next night we chose to pay for one last night and we were charged $76. Since that dispute with him he can't even speak when we enter the front desk area. Also, HBO has gone missing and the internet is unbelievably intermittent even in the business center. This hotel has not been well-maintained and there is only so much housekeeping can do. Our non-smoking room is under a smoking room so the room is constantly filled with smoke. It's not even worthy of complaining because we are outside with access to a breeze and the nearby tower is enclosed and full of unsavory characters. At least we can open the door directly to the outside which is also better for the dogs.

For those with pets bare in mind whoever is at the front desk sets the price and policy for having them. There are signs that say no pets allowed. If you reserve online or over the phone there is no prompt or option for bringing a pet. So you are at the mercy of whoever is at the front desk. Someone that works at the front desk even brings a dog behind there with them. I'm assuming that is the person who allowed us in - had it been the owner who keeps charging what he wants we would probably be charged per dog or not allowed to stay at all. So there is zero consistency on the unwritten policy. We are currently paying $76 for a double which is normally $57. However, online this same room is $89 without a pet deposit/fee listed. So you could easily overpay for the room and then be charged more. We've also witnessed disputes with people overcharged online or people who got a deal through a different booking site but the rude owner wouldn't honor it.

Frankly, if you need something temporary this will work. It has its conveniences but I wouldn't bring children here or come here as a couple. We're only here because we're remodeling. All the policies are out of view and out of whack. The owner is just unreasonable and there are probably a lot of practices that are unethical and inconsistent with the brand. I don't even know who to complain to - Days Inn, Wyndham, this awful owner - is it a franchise? my bank? Thankfully, this is an expense that we will be reimbursed for - if this was all us I wouldn't have dared. In fact, with that first encounter with the owner and him forcing random charges on my card I would have just left.

Room Tip: Avoid the tower - it looks nicer but it is noisier and full of strange guests
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
khana09, Manager at Days Inn High Point/Archdale, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
We are sorry to hear that one of our guest has had a not so pleasant experience at one of our property. Unfortunately their are many personal factors which can affect a negative opinion of a guest about a certain business. We try to do our best to accomodate any and all of our guest but sometimes anything and everything that we do is to no avail. We have made many positive changes through last year. We have been affected negatively and positively and are still carrying the hope that we can and will make many of our guests happy. We are always here to help in any way we can and encourage the guests to give us the opportunity to work through their issues that they may have during their stay with us, in order to have a better experience to remember.
Bangor
Reviewed January 17, 2014

Room looked as if it hadn't been vacuumed. Mattress was uncomfortable. Would not stay again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

khana09, Manager at Days Inn High Point/Archdale, responded to this review, February 22, 2014
Eversince the takeover of this proprty we have been working on many issues to fix the ongoing problems. We have changed many mattresses and are making changes to the rooms. We are hoping for our customers to give us the time and the opportunity to bring this property to their expectations.
Greensboro
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Very pleasant stay. Had a jacuzzi room, which was cleaned very well. The staff was helpful and pleasant. I look forward to a future stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

khana09, Manager at Days Inn High Point/Archdale, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Dear guest "Amber K"
Thank you very much for your positive feedback. We are happy to see that our guests do enjoy their stay. We would be more than happy to be your host on your next trip to this area. Thank you again for your positive comments.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Archdale
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, High Point (Greensboro/Winston-Salem)
Comfort Inn Near High Point University
Holiday Inn Express & Suites High Point South
Motel 6 High Point
Motel 6 High Point
#8 of 14 in High Point

Been to Days Inn High Point/Archdale? Share your experiences!