“Hot and plentiful”

Skippers Fish Fry
Ranked #4 of 137 Restaurants in Apex
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Hot food served in a very casual restaurant by very nice people. Very reasonable prices. Slaw was crisp and tangy. Only complaint is the use of styrofoam and plastic - not Eco-friendly. Learned when leaving they can do grilled or blackened, not just fried. Give this place a try. We'll be back.

There are newer reviews for Skippers Fish Fry

Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

Had lobster chowder-cold. Fried shrimp-no flavor, flounder-better than shrimp, fried okra-best thing. $37 for 2 of us. Shoulda went somewhere else

Reviewed July 17, 2014

This is not your typical Southern fried seafood place - there is no wait staff, you order at the front, pay, and give them your name (never know whether it should be first or last name - since I barely know them, I make it last). Ambiance definitely takes a back seat here.

You fill your drink, collect plastic "silverware", napkins, ketchup, etc., and grab a seat in the small dining area. There is some outside seating (97 degrees in the shade today), and a couple of tall "bar" tables in front of the ordering counter - seemed somewhat like being in an airport landing pattern - always incoming, there is a lot of takeout business here - and waiting takeout traffic always seem to want to chat, or talk on their cell phones

The food comes out of the kitchen in a reasonable time frame - neither faster nor slower than the sit down places. It comes out in large cardboard bowls (every order seems huge), accompanied by small plastic containers of tartar and cocktail sauce, and round cardboard containers of slaw.

But as often is the case, especially in the South it seems, it is not about the surroundings, it is about the food - and the fried seafood here is exceptional, as are the sides, and the hushpuppies - yes, even the lowly slaw. The coating on the seafood is somewhat different from most in the area, it is lighter, no cornmeal here - just outstanding.

We tried a variety of things, as is our want - and were disappointed in none, in bliss over most. The Baby Shrimp (same as Popcorn in my judgment) was perfectly fried, sweet and tender. The Flounder was its equal. No fall off with the Oysters, Scallops, and even the Clam Strips were exceptional - they offer an old timey Clam Roll, and I will have one next time - I grew up when Howard Johnson's was more than a motel from hell.

The slaw, the hushpuppies, and even the fries were good. The sauces were, well sauces - not really needed, brought little to the meal. I ordered a Hot Dog because it was rated #1 in the area, some area - and because if there is a hot dog on the menu, I try it. The dog here may have been #1 on the scorecard, but it is not #1 in my heart - I'd pass - just saying.

Neat place, nothing fancy, obviously - talked to the owner, neat guy, loved that we were from Greensboro - restaurant people are often really cool. This place is about fried seafood - if you love it, you will be in heaven here, if not you will probaly grumble about the lack of vegeterian choices..

Reviewed June 6, 2014

We tried Skippers for lunch to see what it was all about, and we were pleasantly surprised with the both the friendly service, and the quality of food. I had fried clams with onion rings, and my wife had grilled shrimp. Both were delicious. The fried clam basket was overflowing with fried goodness. The flavor of the grilled shrimp was better than most high-end restaurants. The atmosphere is gritty - which is totally fine for me (I don't need a tablecloth to enjoy a good meal!). Prices are quite reasonable - especially for a quick lunch! Definitely will be going back ...

1  Thank 150hotelnightsayear
Reviewed June 1, 2014

I've been to Skippers twice, the first time I enjoyed the fish tacos...yummy. Served three ways...baked, fried or blackened again yummy. Last visit was with entire family. The mean enjoyed fish and chips. I tried the baby shrimp platter. I should of gotten the portion which was the baby shrimp and three hush puppies...ladies plenty of food trust me. What a nice family ran place where you can enjoy a cold beer in a casual counter service environment. We now have a new regular place for a family rotation especially when we are craving seafood.

1  Thank Jullie C

Been to Skippers Fish Fry? Share your experiences!