“The best fried fish in the Raleigh area”
Review of Skippers Fish Fry

Skippers Fish Fry
Ranked #4 of 144 Restaurants in Apex
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed October 6, 2013

My wife and I found that we love to make the trek to Apex just to enjoy the large portion of great fish dishes available here. We have ordered many different items on the menu and have not yet been dissapointed.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Place was crowded and obviously popular. My party odered fried sole and shrimp. Both over cooked. Couldn't really tell the shrimp from the hush puppies by looking and everything tasted basically the same. Red sauce with shrimp was tasteless, needed more horseradish for a bit of a bite. Mother liked the coleslaw. It's cut very fine just as she prefers it, but that was the only positive comment from our party of 4. Couldn't really tell if seafood was fresh or frozen, it was just dry and tasteless. Wish I could have said something nicer, staff seemed eager to please, and it was hopping. Oh, and they were actively tiling a wall in the cooking area which gave me the heebie jeebies. Can't believe the health department would condone that.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Food cooked to order and hot and fresh....After just spending summer along the Gulf , fresh seafood is a must wherever i go

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We have been craving good seafood for quite awhile. We finally found it, While on the way to eat someplace else. Saw the restaurant and was intrigued. So after checking it out online we made one of the best decisions ever to try it. The Lobster Bisque was delicious, and very very rich. The shrimp cocktail was fresh steamed and peeled With one of the best cocktail sauces I have had. My Husband had the fish and chips. He said the fish was perfectly done and tasted buttery. Oh and the fries were fresh not frozen. I had the scallops. Again they were perfectly cooked I don't usually like my scallops battered but this was really good. It wasn't thick and heavy. but just lightly covered so you could see the scallops through the batter. And Yes it did fall off as it was designed to do. The scallops all but melted in my mouth. The coleslaw was tasty with no oversized chunks of cabbage to overpower the flavor.It wasn't too sweet or too tangy. Just right. The tarter sauce was made with dill pickles not sweet that I really liked. I do realize that most people are used to sweet tarter sauce but in my mind that detracts from the flavor of the fish. (JMHO) We were too full for dessert, but there is always next time.
The atmosphere is more like a fast food fish place like Long John Silvers or Captain D's. It is nothing like a fine dining restaurant that has real silverware and linens on the table. It has the usual kitschy sea themed bric a brac. Just what one expects from a mid range seafood place. It is a bit pricey but not as expensive as Red Lobster. But you do get your moneys worth. This has become one of our new favorites while we live here in NC. It is well worth the hours drive to get here. (Which we will probably make at least once a week. LOL) It is good honest seafood, prepared in a good honest way.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I had Skippers take out for the first time yesterday. I placed the to go order and the girl gave a 10-12 minutes time frame. My friend went and picked up the order for us. We both ordered combination plates and an order of banana pudding. I had a fried baby shrimp and scallops and she had a flounder and baby shrimp. Both plates came with french fries, coleslaw and hushpuppies.

As I stated my friend said picked up the order. When she arrived back with the food she said "I'm never going there again." I asked her what happened and she said the girl at the register was rude to her and annoyed that she asked to pay for each order separately. The girl didn't know how to separate the orders so another worker came over to tell my friend how to place her order next time. I placed the order and thought they would ring it up when she got there.

When I get the food tray the fries were soggy, so I just took them off. The hushpuppies and coleslaw were okay. The scallops at an extra $1.50 an order were horrible and over cooked. The breading fell off them when I picked them off. Actually, there was one that was so overcooked the breading actually stayed on. The breading for the shrimp wasn't good either. The breading had some kind of extra seasoning in it. It definitely tasted different than the regular calabash style breading.

The banana pudding was good, but not great. I asked the girl if it was homemade and she said yes. I asked because on the online menu the cobblers said homemade. I don't recall the banana pudding being listed on the menu, but the girl mentioned it when I asked what kind of cobbler they had. The banana pudding was definitely semi-homemade at best. The pudding in the banana pudding was definitely instant. It tasted like maybe they had a little whipped cream or something too it. It had a ton of Nilla wafers in it and a few pieces of banana. I usually don't like instant pudding, but it was actually tasty. My friend didn't like the banana pudding at all.

Overall, IMO the food was definitely overpriced for the quality. For $13.99 plate + $1.50 scallops i would expect to at least get the takeout plate and not the cheap tray wrapped in paper. Skippers needs higher cooking standards and fresher seafood also wouldn't hurt. I was really disappointed because there's not a lot of good seafood options around here.

Been to Skippers Fish Fry? Share your experiences!