“Great Inexpensive Mexican”

Cuisines: Mexican
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great Inexpensive Mexican”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

You can get the best Fajitas in Western Wake County here. Friendly and attentive staff. The location is a plus as well being in downtown Apex. The frozen margaritas are good also. Great for families and large groups too. Well worth the trip.

• Visited October 2013

“Very nice”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I have been to this restaurant dozens of times. The food has always been excellent. The service is very good.I bring my family and friends often. All of my experiences at this restaurant have been good.

• Visited September 2013
“Good, inexpensive Mexican”
Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

I agree with the other reviewer that I had passes by La Rancherita countless times because I thought it was a generic Mexican place. Well, that all ended tonight. The wait for a table at Salem Street Pub was over 30 minutes, so with a hungry little kid, we bailed and made our way across the street. It's a relatively small place and it was bustling. Our server was efficient but seemed a bit rushed. I ordered the carnitas and our door came quickly. In the meantime we chowed down on crisp tortillas and I could taste the cilantro in the salsa - excellent. My carnitas came and they were braised so tenderly, they basically fell apart on my fork! Flavorful and not oily, it was complemented nicely by the rice (just the right amount of stickiness) and the "Mexican slaw" which was not soggy. Overall a great meal! Will definitely return!

• Visited September 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
“What a pleasant surprise”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Okay, it's easy to chalk up all Mexican restaurants as one and the same. I know I'm guilty. I avoided going to this place for the longest time because I figured it was no different than <insert Mexican restaurant here> in <pick a city, I'm sure there's one there>. Of course, it's right before we move away that we decide to give it a try.

The restaurant was pretty crowded, but its in downtown Apex, so it's a little expected. They have some daily beer specials, which was nice. A lot of variety on the menu, also as expected. I was more interested in whether the food was the same or if it was better. Long story short, it's better. Better cooking preparation, use of seasoning/spices, better flavors overall. Only complaint was that service wasn't all that great. I wanted to order some appetizers before the rest of the family showed up, but no one stopped by after we received our waters. I gave them a pass since it was busy, but I would expect better.

If you're ever in the mood for <insert Mexican restaurant here>, you should go ahead and reroute to La Rancherita, or Toreros, they're a notch better than the rest.

• Visited June 2013
Apex, North Carolina
“Wow! I am pleasantly surprised :)”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We have lived in Apex for years and have driven by this place many many times. After looking through TripAdvisor, we figured we should give it a shot. We both love Mexican food. Growing up in Texas, I am expecting a bit more than I usually can find around here.

I ordered the Chimichanga and the wife ordered the Carne Asada. When the plates were delivered, I was kind of off put by the fancy presentation. Most "good" Mexican restaurants that we frequented in Texas never had fancy plates :) My first bite was a mood changer for sure though. The beans and rice (which is what I always try first) were not the usual paste and dry mess that we have all gotten used to. The rice actually tasted good and the beans had a little substance to it. Then I broke into the Chimichanga to find that it was loaded with actual meat. Most Chimichangas around here are 90% tortilla and 10% of a meat like mix, not this one! The wife is much pickier than I am. As I was sitting there are really enjoying my meal, I was almost afraid to ask her. I was starting to love this place and I didn't want any bad news. I look over to find that she is devouring her Carne Asada. She was loving it as much I was with my meal. We exchanged bites and the Carne Asada was tender and full of flavor!

At this point, I think we have hit the jackpot. This place is busy for a good reason. If they continue to do business like this, I can see them getting busier and busier as times goes on. The biggest shock of the night was at the end of the meal. We were shocked to see how small the bill was. We are used to paying $40-$50 for a meal and our check was $25! All I can say is that we will be back :)

• Visited July 2013

Been to La Rancherita? Share your experiences!