“American Tobacco Trail A MUST to Ride”

American Tobacco Trail
Ranked #2 of 13 things to do in Apex
Reviewed July 23, 2013

For people who live in the Cary, Nc or Southwest Wake County the American Tobacco Trail ride is a must to enjoy...We spent a lazy weekday afternoon riding the trail from the White Oak park to the Durham County Line and Back (13 miles of pure pleasure). For visitors to the area this is a wonderful biking trail, walking trail, and even jogging trail. It is dog friendly, and safe in the Wake and Chatam County areas...about 20 miles. Totally recommend riding the trail.....

All reviews
"bikes"
"herndon"
"neighborhoods"

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I use this trail at least once a week and love it. I come in on the Apex entrance at the very start of the trail. It begins as basically a well packed down dirt road. It stays this way for a few miles then switches to pavement with a small strip of dirt road for horses. A few miles later it is all paved, no dirt trial. This section lasts for about 14 miles. There are plans to connect it to the Durham section but those are still in the works. DO NOT go on the Durham trail alone! It goes through a bad area in town. But the apex stretch (which eventually goes into cary) is very safe. There are outhouses at almost all of the stops, but water is harder to find. The first water station is about 9 miles into the trial. There are no places to get water before this. And it gets really hot on this trail so bring water! At the end of the trial are some restaurants if you want to take a break. The trail is very flat with only a few minor hills. Overall, the apex/cary trail is great!

1  Thank Edanielleh
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I don't know which one attracts the other, but railroad tracks and seedy neighborhoods seem to go hand in hand. If you take an abandoned railroad track and turn it into a bike trail, that doesn't really do anything about the seedy neighborhood it runs through.

I got on the American Tobacco trail at a quiet suburban park and started peddling. In just a few minutes, I was in a part of town where I normally wouldn't go without a squad of Marines. I saw an interesting variety of emotions on the faces I passed. Some were sizing me up like prey. Some were filled with class or racial resentment. None were friendly or even neutral.

I made a U turn and got my butt out of there. Honestly, I have rarely felt so threatened.

4  Thank Bubbatron
Reviewed May 16, 2013

This linear park exists currently in two stretches: one rural trail section that begins near the community of New Hill in southern Wake County and ends near the Streets of Southpoint Mall just south of I-40. The section north of I-40 is a paved trail winding through suburban Durham and reaches its downtown core. A bridge over I-40 is being constructed to connect the two sections and will create a single corridor connecting the city of Durham with rural Durham and Chatham Counties, Wake County, and beyond. I believe when the bridge is completed, the connected sections will form a single trail of more than 20 miles through urban and rural areas.

Most of this trail exists on the former rail right of ways that were abandoned by the Durham Southern Railroad.

1  Thank supertheo