“Health Inspector Should Shut Down”

Americas Best Value Inn-Apex/Raleigh
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Apex
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
“Health Inspector Should Shut Down”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I find it hilarious that all of the good reviews for this hotel are clearly written by the hotel owners and manager. You can tell this because they have only written 1 review for the website in total, and everything they said was total b.s. This was the grossest and most poorly run hotel I have EVER stayed in. I reserved our room over a month ago online, and when I called to confirm the reservation a week in advance, they couldn't find it. The man I spoke with could barely speak English and somehow grunted out that I should just come with my reservation number. So I followed his instructions, and when I arrived they still didn't have my reservation. They refused to give my husband and I a non-smoking King like we had paid for, and we ended up having to sleep in 2 separate queen beds. In addition, they charged $25 for our dog to stay when online the price was $20.

The room was completely filthy with stains on the towels and sheets, and we could tell as we watched housekeeping in other rooms that they do NOT ever wash the blankets. There was a dead roach on the floor, nasty grime in the tub. At least we had a shower curtain though, as my aunt was missing hers entirely. The room smelled horribly of mold and I woke up both mornings feeling extremely sick from this. Several of my family members were staying in the same hotel and all of us had busted security chain locks on our doors as though somebody had broken into every single room. In addition, several of the rooms had locks that were hanging off their hinges and the doors were just hanging creepily open. The carpets in the room and throughout the hotel are ABSOLUTELY filthy and I was terrified to go anywhere without shoes on! The beds were the hardest and worst feeling beds I've ever slept in and the pillows were lumpy and barely stuffed.

Throughout the hotel there were ceiling tiles missing all over the place, many of the doors did not work to the exits, and the staircases were very steep and unsafe missing banisters. The entire hotel had a horrible odor of hot garbage, mold, and mildew. In addition, the elevator worked once and after that refused to close.

Our air conditioning stopped working the first night and when I called down to the front desk the man (who again barely spoke English) refused to send someone up to help us. He seemed more concerned with making sure I had paid to have a dog in my room, as I told him that they should not come without us being in the room. I should have let him show up and let my dog eat him. In the 2 days we were forced to stay here, they never showed up to fix the a.c. When it did choose to run, it was so loud you couldn't hear yourself think, and I was terrified to turn up the television for fear we would disturb our neighbors. This probably shouldn't have been a concern as there were plenty of loud people running through the hallways!

Now on to breakfast....breakfast consisted of frozen waffles, frozen doughnuts, frozen bananas, and frozen juice. They had very few of each and all were stale and disgusting. There was a sign up in the the breakfast area demanding that guests "do not bring food in rooms" as apparently they are too cheap to allow sleeping guests to eat at a later time. My poor husband didn't sleep at all the first night because of the hard beds and the noises, and I went ahead and brought him a plate up. As I was coming back the lady at the front desk began yelling at me for bringing food upstairs, and I just told her that I was bringing it to my husband who didn't get any sleep because their hotel is disgusting and uncomfortable. Then I kept walking to my room.

I will never stay in a "Best Value Inn" again and certainly would NOT recommend this to anyone.

Room Tip: Don't come here.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank cgmoore1983
abviapex, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn-Apex/Raleigh, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear cgmoore1983,

Thank you for sharing a traveler review with us. I am very concerned about the issues you encountered during your stay. I am not sure why you would mention that the owners write their own reviews as this would be a violation of Tripadvisor's guidelines. Furthermore, Tripadvisor tracks the I.P. addresses so that multiple reviews cannot be posted from the same computer. That being said, our hotel is undergoing renovations including painting, replacing furniture, carpeting, bedding, and replacing mattresses. There was a major storm in 2012 which caused roof damage. The roof has since been replaced. We have also hired and trained new housekeepers. Once again, I apologize for any inconveniences you experienced with us.

Regards,
Andy-Manager
Americas Best Value Inn-Apex, NC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina
Reviewed October 12, 2011

This used to be a Days Inn and is very old. They got an 87 on their inspection in November of 2010. The owner was very nice and it's the cheapest around so if you really really have to have a bed and don't care if the tub is yukky or if it smells bad, then you could stay here. I saw no bugs or anything awful but it's not the kind of place I'd want to stay in. There are two hotels in Fuquay Varina that's a tad better for $10 more. Go there.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank sabrinamom
Dear sabrinamom,

I appreciate the fact that you took the time to share a review with us. I am sorry to hear about the negative experience you had with us. Please know that we are undergoing some renovations including: painting, replacing mattresses and furniture, bedding, and carpeting. We hope that these improvements will enhance the overall guest experience.

Regards,
Andy-Manager
Statesville, NC
Reviewed February 7, 2010

I have been staying at this property about 4 to 8 times per year for the last 8 years.
I always look forward to a spacious, clean, comfortable room here and have never been disappointed.

Let me summarize my most recent stay (2/7/2010).

Freindly staff that attended to all my needs.
Spacious, clean, comfortable room - everything worked great! (lighting, TV, bathroom, wireless internet in room, fridge, microwave and more)

Very pleased with my stay and will recommend to my friends.

Looking forward to delicious coffee in the morning. (I don't eat breakfast but I have noticed tasty selections available for those who do enjoy breakfast - included at no extra charge).

So, my fellow traveler, If you are looking for a great value in the Raleigh, NC area you must give this property serious consideration.

Just tell the front desk what you need. Ask and it shall be given.

By the way, you must try the delicious seafood selections available from Ocean Stars Resturant (attached to property).

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
abviapex1, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn-Apex/Raleigh, responded to this review, March 8, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We take great pride in providing each of our guests with affordable rates, clean rooms, and friendly service.

If you should travel to Apex in the future, we look forward to serving your needs once again.

Kindest Regards,

Bhimsen Basnet-Manager
Americas Best Value Inn-Apex, NC
Also consider these accommodations in or near Apex
Candlewood Suites Apex Raleigh Area
Comfort Inn Apex
Comfort Inn Apex
#3 of 6 in Apex
Holiday Inn Express Apex/Raleigh
Homewood Suites by Hilton Raleigh/Cary
Country Hearth Inn Knightdale
Courtyard Raleigh Cary

Been to Americas Best Value Inn-Apex/Raleigh? Share your experiences!