“Great looking hotel, no substance”

La Blanche Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 53 Hotels in Turgutreis
Reviewed October 31, 2013

I would echo much of what has been said before and in some of the more recent reviews.

We are still at the resort - last week of the season.

As the previous reviewer has pointed out I'm yet to see a member of bar staff crack as mike or acknowledge me as a guest or person! No customer service at all!

The guys on reception are the most hopeful but hampered by not very good spoken English.

While the facilities, location and rooms of the hotel meet the Thomeons platinum status the food and the service don't!

The food is dreadful in variety and quality - dried up onion rings for breakfast anyone? Although oddly (!) now a Turkish Maritime conference has started today in the hotel the food has improved....

Danny the Thomson rep was obnoxious, full of himself, uninterested and inappropriate - I have made a formal complaint.

When I told him about the lack of options in the food and quality his response was:' I've eaten in the restaurant everyday for 3 months and I think it's fine so I can't see the issue'. Sorry, I thought I was the customer...when I told him that the guy selling boat trips on site approached my 10 and 11 year old sons and told them that, if they told me they wanted to go on a trip then I would have to book it Danny's response was : 'there's no point in me telling the hotel, they will think I'm lying and it's sour grapes because it's not a Thomson trip'. So no issue then in a strange man approaching my children trying to sell them things....

He also told new platinum status varies across the world as each country is different - surely Thomeon should have the same criteria for a platinum hotel wherever it is so customers have a bench mark to go by?

His parting shot was to tell me I obviously didn't know Turkey - I do, it's my 20th visit...

In the welcome meeting his language included comments about being drunk and proposing up the bar, bootie calls and calling people Bull s******s... In front of children.

So, excluding Thomsons, to sum up the hotel; great location, great facilities, excellent spa, good standard rooms that are large and in good condition, poor to bad food, indifferent to rude staff and ice cold swimming pools with a very nice private beach. Won't be returning though- think it would be a nightmare in high season.

To be fair Thomsons local manager and support line have been very understanding and supportive

Room Tip: Poolside or sea facing
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Iainthomas39
LaBlancheHotel, GR Department at La Blanche Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2013

Dear IainT39,

Thank you very much for your valuable time and for your review. We are sorry to read that your stay with us hasn't been up to your expectations. We have made a note regarding your note on some levels of service, which has already been shared with the related department for the necessary actions to be taken.

We look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

My wife and I have stayed in Turgutreis before but this is the first time we've stayed at La Blanche. The food is good - although you'll struggle if you're vegetarian. Also, although we were on our own, we both commented on the difficulties families with young children must have, as nearly all the dishes are spicey; many having chillies. The restaurant needs a good manager, as the staff are content to look at empty food containers. One morning I informed one of the staff that the orange-juice had run out, anticipating that he would arrange to get some more.... Silly me! Instead he just said, "I know." Well, it's no good 'knowing' and doing nothing.
It's worth paying a little more for a superior room, as the views and the size of the rooms are much better.
Don't worry too much about having to get up early to get a sun-bed, as the staff make a circuit of the pool just before 9am to remove unattended towels. It is nice that, when a hotel says you cannot reserve sun-beds before 09:00, they enforce it. We had been warned that the entertainment team weren't up to much - and they're not. However, as we're not too fussed about this kind of entertainment, it wasn't an issue for us.
The only let-down was the Thomson rep, Danny, who seemed to spend more time raising money for charity than attending to guests. For example, we used a taxi transfer and we had to find Danny to find out the time of our collection. Having told us that we would be notified 48 hours before departure, another couple told us that this was unlikely to happen, from their experience; and they were right!
It's still a relaxing resort, where you don't get hassled.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wings712

Dear wings712,

We have been delighted to read that you have truly enjoyed your stay with us and had a memorable experience. Your valuable comments have been shared with the Team and have placed a big smile on our faces.

We will also be looking forward to the next time

Reviewed October 30, 2013

We stayed at La Blanche hotel in October, travelling with Thomsons. The flight was fine and the transfer was good because it was daytime and we could see the scenery as we passed the north of the peninsular. After check in, we were told our room was "take the lift over there" and we were left to find our room by ourselves Be aware that the rooms are numbered in this order - block number ,then floor number then room number eg 4308 with the floor the reception is on being 2. Beforehand we had e mailed the hotel with a request for a pool view or a sea view and were rewarded with a room which overlooked the sea and the pool with fantastic sunset views. The room itself was very clean and comfortable with a large comfortable bed.
The food in the buffet restaurant as good with there being a big variety and plenty of icecream.
At lunchtime we often went to the Mexican/ oriental restaurant which was good. To eat in the a la carte restaurants you queue up from 10am but we didn't have any trouble getting a table. If you like meat you will love the a la carte restaurants.
The beach was sandy and very clean but the sea was cold when we went, but the main swimming pool was icy. There is an indoor pool which is slightly warmer, but this was full of children with inflatables. We often went on the jetty to sunbathe as the wall shaded us from the wind, and you didn't get sand everywhere.
Billy;s boat trip was good fun but not quite like the pictures on his brochure. He is a character.
We walked into Turgutreis most days for some exercise and had a couple of meals in restaurants there as a change from the all inclusives. Do haggle if you buy anything from the shops in town they expect it.
The staff in the restaurants were very efficient and cleared the tables quickly. The Mexican/Chinese restaurant had the nicest waiter. The room cleaners were very efficient. The animation team were good and not in your face. After we got home we kept saying "morning jeem, time for morning jeem" ( the keep fit lady came from Belaruss) so you will understand if you go to this hotel.
All in all we had a really good holiday and would maybe return

Room Tip: Rooms from 4301 to 4312 have pool and sea views also the rooms above eg 4401-4412 and 4501-4512
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank janeron
LaBlancheHotel, GR Department at La Blanche Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Dear taneron,

Thank you very much for your time and we are happy that you have enjoyed your stay with us!

We will be looking forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

Our room was amazing we could have held a party if we were younger ,the room was always lovely + clean ,the pool was great my great grand daughter loved it ,the food was ok ,felt it was like help your self at school ,there was plenty to eat , situated in a great place ,for lovely walks looking out at sea , great market ,shops eating places ,will be going back ,great place for families loved it . May 2013

Room Tip: Looking over the pool where it's all lite up .
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Dear Valerie D,

Thank you very much for your nice words! We will be looking forward to the next time also

Warm regards

Reviewed October 30, 2013

My sister and I spent 2 weeks at La Blanche Hotel in October and had a fabulous time. Staff were courteous and helpful and our room was very spacious and clean although on arriving we found we were on the ground floor with no sea or pool view, however, we could hear the sea and our room was very quiet and convenient for the pool and beach areas. The hotel is in a brilliant position and is only a short stroll from the shops, bars, restaurants and marina. Turkish people are extremely friendly but you have to be prepared to barter for everything you buy. This was a really pleasant experience in all the shops but not at the market. Traders were pushy and a bit rude.

The evening entertainment provided at the hotel was a bit lacking although the team were full of energy and enthusiasm. The boat trips provided by Billy and his team were excellent and were full of good clean fun for the whole family. Highly recommended. We went on 3 boat trips. I would also recommend the Turkish bath experience - not to be missed.

The main restaurant in the hotel was very large and busy and bright but on the whole the food was good and the desert choice was to die for. We visited the 4 a la carte restaurants which were all very good but the Turkish one was our favourite. The bars also gave a great selection of drinks and cocktails and my sister was delighted to discover they had Dry Martini and lemonade.

There is so much to see and do and we did something most days whether it was the local flavours tour or a day trip to Kos, hiring bikes or a boat trip to Gumishlak - the choice is endless and we loved everything and hopefully learned a little too about the Turkish people and their country.

We loved our stay at La Blanche and look forward to returning next year for another fun filled 2 weeks of sunshine.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank borntoholiday55

Dear borntoholiday55,

We will also be looking forward to the next time

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Stayed with my wife during the last but one week of the season starting on Oct 24th. I was going to review this hotel at length but having read the recent reviews, particularly that of midlandtraveller32, I think I can be more succinct. Everything midlandtraveller32 has said is just about spot on. However, I would go slightly further and say that as this is the end of the season the staff seem to have given up. They all seem to be waiting for the place to close so that they can all go back to their families. I don't think I've seen one bar person offer service with a smile since we got here..... yes we're still here!
I'm not surprised that the hotel gets good reviews from people who have children as the place has more children than a resort specifically targeted at families. They all seem to like the animation team. The kiddies disco is held in the main bar at night so you can't even have a quiet drink and conversation due to the excessive noise of the birdie song and other timeless classics! During the evening there are kids running everywhere, many without any parental control. This is supposed to be a Thomson Platinum. I know this is possibly beyond Thomson's control but if it's this bad then downgrade the hotel. As we travel extensively, every six weeks, we are of the opinion that it most certainly is not a Platinum. Nowhere near, not even close!! If you try and get a fried egg when it's omelette day you've got no chance. They will not cook you any other egg other than what is pre-determined for that day. I witnessed a lady and a child ask for a fried egg for breakfast. Their request was treated with disdain and a point blank refusal as the cook told them "no fried eggs, it's omelette day". Quite petty you may think but surely at a Thomson's Platinum you can get a fried egg on any day not just Monday, Wednesday and Friday or whatever day is 'fried egg day'. We didn't particularly like much of the food but you can't please everyone. The hotel is quite quiet and at meal times the restaurant is horrendous. I can't even begin to think what it's like in high season.
In brief: Beautiful location, lovely rooms, very clean, impressive looking hotel. However, scratch the surface and you soon find that it does not live up to its Platinum status. We won't be back.
Ps....... If you do go, read the comments book at customer relations, some of the reviews are hilarious... many refer to the food!!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Blackthorn

Dear Blackthorn,

Thank you very much for your valuable time and for your review. We are sorry to read that your stay with us was not up to your expectations. We have made a note regarding your note on some levels of service, which has already been shared with the related department for the necessary actions to be taken.

We look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

We travelled late September and stayed 2 weeks,first impressions when arrived to check in was wow,check in was speedy (we arrived at 3am).we had a quick drink in the lobby bar whilst our cases was taken to the room.

Our room was a disabled room,I was surprised how big the room was.everything we needed apart from tea making equipment,which we knew about and brought our own.the only problem we had with the room was the bathroom after having a shower there was a lot of standing water on the floor in fact some puddles in places,we saw the guest relations team and really couldn't resolve the problem until the hotel closes for winter we made do with getting extra towels to make a dam,I'm surprised no one had complained before as it's a slip hazard especially people who hare disabled.our room was cleaned everyday but not hoovered everyday.

The pools was massive and clean and I loved the disabled lift to get me into the outdoor main pool(this as sold me the hotel for next year).the hotel was cleaned to a high standard,good selection of drinks at all the bars,the grounds was great beautifully tended to.well one of the best parts of the hotel was sitting at the beach bar looking at the sunsets watching the world go bar,the beach is clean and it's own lagoon is another selling point.

The food was ok,never bored of the selections on offer abit repetitive,but that's all hotels in general,we ate at the Asian didn't like it,but the turkish was excellent.snack bar had a nice selection of food,can't really comment on the entertainment has we only saw the orchestra once.

Wow the staff was fantastic from the cleaners to the bar staff,restuarant staff equally good.for me the guest relations was the best we have ever come across,so helpful I had a puncture on my wheelchair,they sent it into town and repaired it for me and I borrowed there's until mine was fixed.many thanks for this

This hotel is very wheelchair friendly and must have been about 10 wheelchairs at any one time( the only downside there are only 4 disabled rooms)

We used mehmet to go to bodrum market €10 really good value

All in all the disabled facilities and the excellent staff sold it to me for next year,the only bit corcerning me about booking is the uncertainty of not been garanteed a disabled room

See you next year la blanche family .kind regards mr and mrs houghton

Room Tip: We had room 3210 a disabled room close to reception
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SpringyHKR
LaBlancheHotel, GR Department at La Blanche Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

Dear EastHullSpringy,

Thank you very much for your detailed review and we've been truly delighted that you have had a wonderful holiday. Looking forward to meet you again in the near future.

Your La Blanche Family

Also consider these accommodations in or near Turgutreis
La Blanche Island Bodrum
#9 of 53 in Turgutreis
Sianji Wellbeing Resort
Sianji Wellbeing Resort
#5 of 53 in Turgutreis

Been to La Blanche Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!