“Still my Favourite Hotel.”
Review of Sundance Resort

Sundance Resort
Ranked #6 of 53 Hotels in Turgutreis
Reviewed October 4, 2012

In September my wife and I enjoyed our tenth visit to this our favourite Hotel. The staff has seen some changes since last year but they are still very polite and attentive and willing to help at all times as has always been the custom. The cleaning staff work extremely hard and daily clean rooms and change towels. The ongoing refurbishment programme is progressing yearly and rather than close the complete Hotel down for this it is carried out at the end of the summer season. This year apart from replacing many room floors, extra sunbeds were evident and so it was easy to obtain one generally speaking wherever we wanted.The management are always available to be contacted if anyone has complaints, and I find it hard to believe that it seems many guests who feel they have a complaint wait until they return home before raising it on a review. This means that the Hotel staff are unable to reply or indeed tackle the problem at the time it arises. I find this cowardly as I know Mr. Yusuf Gunaydin (General Manager) is available six days out of seven and can generally be found in the pool area if not in his office. Likewise Mr. Goksun Alay (Reception manager) is always available in his office to the left of the entrance doors. Any problems in the resturants can be directed at Mr. Morat Akar who I know is very approachable and too willing to help. Many guests we meet are repeat customers and this surely shows the Hotel is still doing things right. Yes it is now 8 years old at least, but with the ongoing refurbishment programme it will no doubt keep up with modern trends. Whilst we were there the Hotel Owner himself with his wife and family were in residence and ate in the resturants which we ate in which shows things are not as bad as some reviewers paint. I honestly believe that some guests go on holiday merely to make complaints so they can claim compensation from their travel companies. An example is that whilst awaiting the lift one evening a middleaged English couple who had arrived at the Hotel some two hours earlier, struck up a conversation with me by immediately complaining about the impolite staff and the dowdy room they had been given. They made it clear they usually go to Oley Deniz and how things were much better there. I immediately bit my tongue as the obvious reply was why didn't you go there this year. Instead I said" Madam you have been travelling all day and are very tired, no doubt after a good nights sleep you will feel better". She replied," We should have gone back to Oley Deniz." I made no reply, but no doubt she complained bitterly when she arrived back in England but didn't approach management which was the obvious thing to do so the problems could have been sorted out. I have no doubt all Hotels have to put up with this type of practice for which they are unable to reply. I know the management team at this Hotel (as do many other return guests) and they always try to solve problems if consulted. The animation team under the management of Morad still work extremely hard entertaining the guests all day and night and it was pleasing this year to see a change in the show programmes in the Amphitheatre which were very enjoyable.Especially the Fire Show in which many guests took part and was quite spectacular. Well done to them.
All in all a very enjoyable holiday again and we are looking forward to next year for a further return visit.

2  Thank Terryelvis

Reviewed October 4, 2012

We thought the location was really beautiful. Our room was comfortable and the sea view lovely. The walkway in to Turgutreis was very nice, it took about 15 minutes and was worth a walk round. Our room could have been cleaned a little better but was ok. The food in the buffet was fairly good with a reasonable choice. We thought the restaurants were not really worth the trouble of booking, the Turkish was the best. It is not 5 star but probably could be. We were told by regulars that the staff had been cut back on. We both had a bit of tummy trouble, my husband for most of the stay as did a few people that we spoke to. Doubt we will return which is a shame as it could have been so much better. Entertainment was mediocre. Bars ok.

Room Tip: The sea view superior rooms do differ. There are some with hot tubs, ours had a shower. There is a p...
1  Thank DangerousDi
Reviewed October 3, 2012

My wife, son and I have recently returned from a weeks holiday at the Aegean Dream. The hotel is best described as a 3 star. Before I go into the negatives, it would probably be fair to describe the positives. The weather was excellent, the food cooked on the grill and the freshly made flat bread were of a good standard. The staff in general were very friendly and attentive, particularly when you had greased their palms. The view from the Starlight Bar were spectacular. Now for the negatives:

On arrival we were not met at the door and had to drag all our bags to reception, to check in.

The hotel has definitely seen better days and is in desperate need of some serious updating.

The food served in the main restaurant was not really up to scratch but was presented well.

The choice of alcohol and soft drinks were very limited, although i did enjoy the Efes beer that was on offer. The fruit juices on tap, tasted like they came from rehydrated powder.

It was impossible to get a constant temperature of the water when showering in our room. The water went from bloody hot to [--] freezing. This made it difficult to shower our son or even enjoy our showers.

I couldn't get WIFI in my room (I understand you can get it in the Select Building). I can't believe in this day and age that a supposed 4* hotel doesn't provide this service in its rooms. It is the 1st 4* hotel that I have stayed in, in the last 4 years that doesn't offer this service.

The cot provided for my son was also a major issue. On arrival we were given a cot with sides that didn't stay up so if our son lent against them, he would more than likely fall out of the cot. We did compain and the cot was replaced straight away. The new cot looked to be clean and in good condition. I was wrong! The next morning I woke up and looked into the cot to ensure my son was still asleep. He was, but had sunk heavily into the matress. Lets just say the cot wouldn't tick the cot death prevention design box. It should never have been supplied to infants. On closer investigation, I realised that there was no real support for the mattress and so the mattress was falling through the support bars of the cot. When I went to complain to reception about the cot and request a new one, I was rudely told that there was nothing they could do and it was my problem. I made it very clear that I expected a new cot to to be supplied and told them I would be back at reception by lunch to check this had been done. Surprise, surprise it had not, but the same member of staff attempted to plucate me by offering me some firmer cushions from the sofa in reception (still amused by this!). After this I went and spoke to the Thomson rep, who dealt with the issue very quickily.

The music around the pool area was obtrusive and at times very hard to drown out, even after 5 or 6 beers.

The beach although private was in desparate need of a clean and also they should do somehting about the dogs that scavenge the beach for scraps of food. They seemed very docile but looked filthy and were a bit of a nuisance.

The entertainment staff were delightful and it was a shame we weren't able to watch the evening entertainment, because it sounded hysterical. My main issue was with the entertainment announcements which were made from the loud speaker system on a regular basis with some over dramaticised music in the background. Also if I have to see middle aged overweight people dancing to tequilia boom boom again I may gouge out my eyes and cut my ears off! 6 times in one week is too much for any person.

In summary we chose Turkey as a cheap and cheerful holiday in the sun. We got the sun and in general we enjoyed our time there. The hotel was disappointing and Thomson should seriously consider downgrading the hotel from its Platinum range. It is definitely not a 4* and I feel the company missold it to us.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank William L
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We recently had a great holiday at the Aegean!

The hotel was sited on the Bodrum peninsular with its own beach and jetties. Its quite a busy hotel, but the hotel staff were very attentive and friendly to say the least. There were lots of activities for most holidaymakers, and the weather was great, with NO MOZZIES! We tipped the staff we thought should have one, but at the end of the holiday.

The town was just a short walk away - just follow the beach front. Saturday is market day and it gets very busy, be aware the sizes of clothes do not match our sizes! (If possible, try on first!)

The flight into Bodrum airport was a little nervy, as the airport is surrounded by mountains, and the Thomson aircraft had to manovuere around the mountains, which was totally unexpected!

All in all, we had a great time and would return again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank mac1wright
Reviewed September 26, 2012

This hotel is in an ideal location, with its own little beach and two jetties that catch the breeze which are perfect for spending a lazy sunny day on, and it is a short pleasant walk to Turgetreis. The hotel itself though is quite a let down. It is shabby and in a state of poor repair. Rooms are grubby. The balcony was filthy and looked onto waste land, (but better than the first room we had that was dark and looked at the security mans hut). The small courtyards near reception are delightful, cool and shady, but why the hotel has decided to stack mattresses up in the recesses of the main corridors I do not understand! 99% of the staff were polite, charming and helpful, but would I go back there??? Probably not.

1  Thank Nicola_J_M_12
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We landed at the airport in Bodrum, all the Thomson reps huddled together behind the desk and us struggling with cases to get to find out where the bus was to take us to the hotel, when we finally got to the rep one of them motioned with her hand where the bus was parked, very rude and 'couldn't be bothered attitude'. We got onto the minibus that was stinking of fuel and no rep to travl with us to the hotel - the bus driver had no idea where he was going and left us sat on the bus for half an hour at one point when he disappeared for no apparent reason. Eventually we arrived at the hotel at reception to find 1 receptionist on who had 2 coach parties to check - she did her best tho and credit where it's due got us through the check in fairly quickly!
This holiday was booked on 29 Dec 2011 (2 couples) and at the time of booking we had requested rooms togehter and a sea or pool veiw. we were given the room keys and albeit we had rooms together we had aveiw of the tree ban goutside the window and a balcony which you had to sit half inside your room to be able to use! Under the dressing table was thick dust, which you couldn't fail to see(I daren't look under the bed). We immediatley went back to reception and asked to be moved which they did but rooms apart from each other and not a great deal better, the rceptionist informed us that the only way we could get a sea/pool veiw is if we paid extra, whihc we would have done if te Thomsons rep in England had told us when we booked it in Dec - wake up Thomsons and get some training done!!!!!! Our first day was spoilt by the disappointment!!! This is most definetley not a 4 star hotel and needs to be revisited by Thomsons. Outside of our room were dirty glasses and empty bottles left by previuos occupants they remained there for the whole of our visit (10 days).The bathroom tiles are cracked and the grouting coming away, the floor tiles are filthy and looked like someone had been sick and not been wiped up properly. The towels were changed everyday and a quick 'lick and a promise' around the room was your clean up.
The food was lovely, a wide and varied choice to suit in my opinion most people. Ridvan in the resteraunt was wonderful with us all of the time we were there.
The beach was pebbly as you go into the sea but nothing to difficult to overcome, I have had aknee relplacement in feb 2012 and managed it quite comfortably.Plenty of sunbeds on the piers, beach and around the pool.
The bar areas were clean and tidy but lacked any ambience, no soft music, the courtyards were alovely area but too dark to sit in once the sun went dow, whihc is aterrible shame as all it needs is a few candles or twinkly lights. The sunlight bar is fabulous to watch the sunset and would be lovely if there was just that little bit of background music, or even a piano in the corner - what a shame it just isn't finished off!!! The pool bar is awful, plastic beakers whihc feel chewed around the edges and look dirty and one of the waiters in there was rude throughout the holiday, slamming drinks down and half empty cups - attitude!!!
The entertainment was lacking considerably, a couple of the shows were good provided by the animation team but only 2 nights of outside entertainmen t and all finished again at 10.30! The childrens entertainment consisted of a set tape every evening of the same songs and drove you mental by the end of the week!
We made the most of our holiday because we had booked it so long ago and were looking forward to it but would not recommend this a s a4 star hotel and will not be going again!!!

Disappointed totally with Thomsons and having booked holidays with them for the past 4 years will be re considering our future

2  Thank Andrea F
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We have literally just returned from 7 days at the Aegean Dream Resort & Spa
in Turgurtreis. Bodram.
The Hotel likes to think that it is 4 Star, it is not, but it is an excellent 3.1/2star.
We arrived at 3am and were welcomed by very friendly and attentive front desk staff.
Our keys and welcome packs were all ready for us and the suitcases were wisked up to our room almost immediately.
We were offered refreshment and enjoyed a very relaxing 1/2hour overlooking the Aegean before going up to our rooms albeit nearly 3 am.
These were very spacious ,comfortable and clean. We had one of the largest beds that I have seen outside of the USA and the Far East and ,although we overlooked the road, I was pleased that they at last appear to have solved the problem of stray dogs yapping all night. I would recommend having a room at this end of the Hotel as it is not a main road and it much much quieter than having one overlooking the sea and consequently the Pool Bar and entertainment amphitheatre.
Housekeeping was a bit slap dash but we had clean white towels every day which is always a major point in my opinion.
Bearing in mind that we were almost “End of Season” I thought that the Hotel had stood up to the Tourist extremely well and the general presentation throughout was of well kept and spotlessly clean public areas.
As regards the food, I have to admit that in my opinion this was one of the best I have ever experienced, even if you do not want to eat , the display was well worth an artistic licence. Presentation, I would award 100%, Variety, I would award 100%, Quality, I would award 100%, Quantity, that is up to you.
One thing that did impress me was the way the Chefs all took pride in their own creations and would walk around the displays making sure that the presentation was just so and that nothing was running out.
I could say at this point that I have no idea how people can be so critical of the food but unfortunately I met a couple of them on the way around the dishes
.If they had been looking for Egon Ronay or Pierre White style food then they would have a case, probably, but they are not, this is a fantastic chance to try different foods on the basis of if you do not like it then leave it and try something else.
I would suggest to these people that in future they go Self Catering and eat at the local Lord Nelson or Red Lion or Irish Bar. They do a great Pie and Mash.
Drink quality is all No 7 Brand Name which I have never come across in Turkey,
You will not get Yeni Raki or JB Whisky ,unless you know the staff extremely well.
All drink, with the exception of Wine and Raki are served in ½ pint tumblers which are opaque plastic because of the Pool Area, not brilliant but acceptable alternatives.
As your holiday passes and you get to know bar staff you will find they have great memories for your name and drink taste.
We all thought that the staff were really good, there are Tip Boxes at strategic places which help with their incomes but I tend to reward on service and a 5 Lira here and 10 Lira there works wonders, even though it is not expected.
The worst point that I found was in respect of the Disabled Access to the Beach, in all other respects the Hotel facilities for the Disabled, and we had at least 5 at any one time, was excellent with rooms fully equipped with special beds and toilets, the pool had a specially designed hoist and ramp access and there were ramps all over the public areas.
They let themselves down rather badly in construction of beach access pathways.
Timber boards were laid individually direct onto bare sand, this resulted in one being higher than the next one creating a step that could cause the wheelchair to stop suddenly or tip over.
With a bit of planning they could have easily linked everything together to make a smooth ramp, the girl carers had a bit of a problem with trying to lift the chairs over these sections.
The location of the Hotel in respect of the Town is excellent, just far enough out side to provide an enjoyable “after dinner” stroll but reachable within 15 minutes at normal walking speed.
Beach Towels are provided by the Hotel in exchange for a Blue Ticket which is given to you with your Welcome Pack, you can change towels as many times as you like.
If you want to be one of the unsociable ones and reserve your sunbeds until you are ready to use them then I would advise using a different towel, with them all looking alike it is very hard to prove which is yours and don`t think that a book will suffice either, they are too moveable.
All in all the four opf us had a brilliant time and we all would highly recommend this hotel.
Please do not believe all that you read, where they get the bad comments from I know not.

Room Tip: We preferred the rooms facing the sunrise as they were away from the pool noise and were cool for th...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends