“Great value, friendly, wish I was still there” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Litera Gumbet Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Gumbet
Litera Gumbet Beach Resort
Ranked #82 of 98 Hotels in Gumbet
Med80
“Great value, friendly, wish I was still there”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2009

Firstly I do not usually write reviews for this type of thing but felt compelled to do so after reading all of the negative comments before leaving for Turkey. I was very worried about my holiday as I'm sure you will be if you read some of the reviews here, I will attempt to give you a fair unbiased account of what it is REALLY LIKE.

The LOCATION
The hotel is on the side of a steep hill, as much of the coast of this peninsula is. As many have mentioned this means there are a large number of steps in the hotel, in fact from reception to the beach I'm sure it amounts to hundreds. The hotel are perfectly aware of their location and do offer a shuttle bus up and down the hill and offer to carry your bags to the rooms for you. For most people these steps will cause no problem and are safe as long as you take care as you would on any steps in the UK. However if you are elderly, immobile or suffer difficulty breathing, I would look elsewhere. The pool is plenty big enough and we got sunbeds most of the time without getting up at 5am, plus there is a second smaller pool above the beach and the beach itself.

The ROOMS
The rooms at the hotel depend to vary greatly by block/level/side of hotel. We were a party of 3 so were not given a room with a balcony (these are the rooms for 2 people) which was a slight letdown, but we did have a window with a seaview and air conditioning (which we got for free, but heard others paid for) The room looked as though it was decorated within the last few years and the beds were comfortable and clean. The 3rd bed was a put up bed and my friend hated it at first but 'grew to love it'! We visited some other rooms which had balconies and the views over the sea were amazing. The bathrooms were clean and functional, perfectly sufficient for our needs and were cleaned daily along with the room (unless you tell the maid to come back tomorrow, which we did several times)

The FOOD
The food was as you might expect in Turkey - Turkish. If your expecting international cuisine of all varieties at all times of day, this is not for you. The food was always fresh, tasty and prepared with skill with plently of fresh salads and vegetables, fish (from the bbq), roasted meats, rice, potatoes, soups, turkish deserts and always fresh crusty bread. Once a week they have a special night where they prepare specialities such as chicken kebab, turkish meatballs all very nice. If your willing to try a few new things and eat in the way the turkish people do you will love it. Also if you do want something different, eat out one or two nights, we eat at china town and can recommend that, speak to the hotel and they will pick you up and drop you back as well as giving you a free bottle of wine. They serve breakfast, lunch, afternoon snacks at the pool/beach (burgers, chips, pasta, pide (turkish pizza)), afternoon coffee and cakes and dinner.

The DRINKS
All inclusive drinking was a big seller for us as we would usually spend a lot on drinks and we did make the most of the bars (they have 4 bars around the hotel) We learnt to get the most out of the drinks, the lager they have is a low-alcohol tuborg, its not watered down, its just a cheap lager and not worth drinking if your trying to get drunk. One afternoon I think I had around 20 cups of it in a few hours and it just made me need the loo! Tried the wine, seemed OK but not amazing, drinkable at best. We mainly stuck to the vodka (they also had a gin and raki on offer) which once you made friends with the lads on the bar were strong enough to do the trick! They do allow 2 cups each at a time, so make sure you get them in before they start charging at 11pm.

The STAFF
All of the hotel staff (bar 1 or 2) are very nice people and certainly much more friendly than the lot you get in spain or greece (but will likely turn that way what with the way the brits treat them) Most are young men trying to earn a few extra lira for their families and work very hard for very little. But then when you pay such little for a holiday someone is always going to be exploited I guess. I always said please and thanks (in turkish) and never had a problem getting served, a couple of nights a few of the lads even came out with us for a few beers, really nice chaps. I witnessed several Brits treating them as if they were stupid and being very rude 'give me beer' as one said, wouldn't be surprised if they got a long wait next time! The managers are nasty to the staff, and can be rude to guests for example telling us we were not allowed any more drinks as we had too many empties on our table!! Reception also helpful as long as your not rude to them.

The ENTERTAINMENT
The animation team at the hotel is run by Ahmet and his girlfriend Eva, both are the nicest people you could ever meet and try really hard with what their limited resources to put on an entertainment programme. They do nights such as a macho man contest, turkish night, couples embarrassing themselves on stage all very funny. It is very obvious the hotel have not supplied any resources for the entertainment team, not even a new water-polo ball but then they are obviously very cost orientated. The hotel/temple bar run a free dolmus at 12:30am into the bar street and back to the hotel at 3am which Ahmet and Eva also come along on and really get the party going. Great fun.

Value for money
We paid just over £350 for a week in July all inclusive, but had I booked it a few days before it would have been more like £280. Considering the flights alone are around £220, this means only around £100 for the hotel per person per week, including as much food and drink as you can consume in that time, incredible value really. I must admit, had I paid over £450 as I hear some did, I might have been slightly miffed.

Overall
If you are the type of person who can make the most of the beautiful surroundings, relax and have a good time then you will love it here. It's not a 4* hotel, but it is clean and comfortable and offers great value. Fresh local foods are delicious and drinks OK for what you pay (nothing). If you are uptight, rude, and complain about every little flaw going do yourself and everyone else a favour and stay at home.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Med80

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Turkish first
Glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2009

Just back from a week here,and would love to still be there.Didnt know what to expect as had read mixed reviews from previous visitors.My family and i had a brill time here and would go back again,all fresh food cooked fresh and service was first class.Ok there are lots of steps so where your room is does matter,but just take your time.Spent most of time(when at hotel)down at beach,never had a problem getting a sunbed just walked down and got one,wouldnt want to sit at pool with water polo and posing going on.Treat others as you would like to be treated yourself-apply this saying here and you WILL HAVE A BALL.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
wales
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2009

WHERE DO I START??? LOL, firstly i got sold this as a 4 STAR holiday to find out on arrival that it was a 4 sun which isnt 4 star! and i payed 4 star money! the rooms were disgusting absolute joke moulde on walls broken bed thin walls filthy corridors sewer crawling up from sink, the hotel itself is very run down and shabby pot holes everywhere very dangerous, when i arrived i was very upset but decided to make the most of my holiday which meant spending a lot more money than i had planned outside the hotel just to get away from there, i went all inclusive but only ate there a few times. the atmosphere in the hotel was dismal because everyone felt they had been robbed, after working hard all year and expecting a 4 star holiday you do feel cheated out of you money!! if you have booked to go there already my adivse is to go there expect the worst take lots of extra money so you can leave the hotel, but gumbet town is full of chaves and very tacky go right out of the hotel instead of left to a lovley beach front with lots of bars and resturants and lovley atmosphere and try your hardest to make the most and enjoy your holiday then complain when you get home!!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lovesunshinebaybeee

Travelers are raving about these Gumbet hotels

wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2009

I went to gumbet beach hotel with my partner and friends,6 of us altogether,we were all lookin forward to this holiday,before we went i decided to look on here for the reviews of the hotel and after reading them i was dreading going,this is my first review i have ever written but felt i had to reassure anybody who is going to gumbet beach...DO NOT listen to any of the bad reviews,a holiday is what you pay for and for the price that we paid i felt that we had a great deal..Yes there are alot of steps and i wouldnt recommand any elderly or people with walking difficultys to go to this hotel..The views from reception are breath taking over looking the bay and at night its even better..The rooms are small but they are clean...The staff are very friendly and do work very hard for very little pay...When goin to the bar always get2 drinks as they never seem to last long,they are served in plastic beakers..I must say that after 11 at night the drinks will cost you 5lera which is alot so try and get as drunk as you can before and then go down town which is better value for drinks,also the buses will stop out side the hotel every 5 to 10 mins for only 2.20tl and will take you down town..The food can be tasty but there is alot of salad,salad,salad,also fish,pasta,bread,its not a hotel to go to if your a fussy eater..burgers and chips are served by pool at 3..If you do want a sunbed by the pool be aware that you do have to get up early to put your towels down,we were setting our alarms at 5.30am and even then the sunbeds were nearly all gone so be prepared,it does get very busy...I would recommend that you go to bodrum market the bus stops outside hotel..we got some great bargins and plenty of clothes all named..i would say that you will get a better deal if you take english money with you as it worked out alot cheaper for clothes make sure that you do haggle,you will find that there are alot more mens clothes than womens but quality is fab,i bought a pair of G star jeans,the length were to long but the turkish bloke told me to come back in a hour,he shortened the length and my jeans dont look like they have been touched..If you do like a walk along the beach please drop in to the BARCARDY BAR the staff are wonderful,they will even drive you back to the hotel and pick you up to take you back down there for no charge..a lovely bar and they will make you feel very welcome..wish we had found it earlier into our holiday...We stayed in gumbet beach for a week and i have to say it was a great holiday,gumbet is a lovely place,hope you have a lovely holiday..do not listen to any of the bad reviews like i did..

1 Thank carleyfuzz
suffolk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2009

I have to agreee with nearly everyone on here that after reading the reports on this hotel from last year i really wanted to cancel i was dreading arriving, But I cant believe how wrong they were it was marvellous we loved it the rooms were cleaned every day and our bedding changed every other, could not fault how clean it was (yes basic but who wants to spend all their time in the room) we had one without a balcony but that did not matter we were righ next to the dining area and pool so was not a problem at all. We did the the beach a few days lots of steps but who cares we are both fit and healthy and on holiday so did not matter how long we took to get to the top again.

Staff were fabulous they could not do enough for you so friendly,
This was my first time to Turkey and I am alredy planning my next trip for Sept

I loved the food there was always something I liked omlettes and pancakes cooked fresh each morning and lots of salads and things to try, I cant believe people moaned about the food i could not fault it.

Would def go back.........

devon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2009

I found the service from the staff friendly most of the time but afraid thee were more disadvantages than advantages to this holiday, considering his was my visit to Turkey I was hoping it would be both special and a lovely experience, I believe hotel accommocation is paramount. The food was very average but not nearly enough variety more salads and sauces that actual meat dishes. Even though the majority of food as served from hot plate dishes the food invariable was luke warm and too much of the salads was dressed in various oils not good on the old stomach. My partner had a bad stomach on and off through the duration of our weeks holiday which wasnt very good at all, he has iron for a stomach and has nevery been ill abroad before until our visit to this hotel, one can only put it down to some of the food. We were promised a seaview but only had a brick wall for our scenic view very upset about that. I found the kitchen staff could of been more proactive in tending to peoples needs. i.e. each evening and even during the day cutlery was very sprse so you were always looking around or having to ask a member of staff for utensils, Entertainment could of been a lot better and a bit more thought gone into it to entice holiday makers tostay on the complex after 11 and buy their own drinks which would benefit both people on holiday and injekt any proit made back into the hotel to improve on room accommodation as this was very basic. There was a good bus service into Gumbet which ran every 5 to 10 minutes ideal considering how steep and hilly we were situated. Overall it was ok and just a nice to get awy for a weeks break but we would not return to the same hotel as too much needs to be both refurbished and the way thngs are managed improved.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
St Austell Cornwall
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2009

Had a great two weeks. The hotel is basic but what do you expect? The service was brilliant. The staff were very helpful. The room was cleaned every day and the food was very good. We went diving with crystal diving from the hotel who were brilliant. We did not want to come home.