“Very Basic, Poor quality food & overall not recommendable.”
Review of Palm Garden Hotel

Palm Garden Hotel
Ranked #80 of 101 Hotels in Gumbet
Reviewed September 15, 2009

First impressions ie Reception area are good, staff very friendly and welcoming. We were VERY lucky with our room, room 118 close to pools, restaurant etc. Rooms are quite small, twin beds which were more like a child's single bed! Bathroom basic, shower the size of a postage stamp almost however it's like being in a waterfall as the water goes EVERYWHERE!!!!! Our room was cleaned daily with fresh towels which was good for us as we spoke to some whom had not had their rooms cleaned at all in room 523!!!!!!! The main swimming pool area was a death trap due to slippery surfaces and also like being at a RAVE - VERY noisy, couldn't relax at all or even hear yourself speak. In addition the Pool was Filthy, cloudy water which we never saw been cleaned once. The Quiet pool area was much better, however no bar facilities but worth the walk to the main pool to enjoy the piece and quiet here. Entertainment during the day was the usual aerobics, volleyball, darts etc same programme day in day out, the evening entertainment was POOR if any at all - Much improvement required compared to other hotels!!!!! The FOOD - Well basic and NOT GOOD is how I would describe it, didn't do breakfast at all as we were told not worth getting up for, lunch was shocking almost every day in terms of quality and quantity and the evening meal, well again not brilliant by any means generally better then lunch!!!! We ate out 3 nights out of 6 nights so that tells you something. All in all I will admit that for what we paid £127 each for the hotel only then it was OK but I certainly will not be returning nor would I recommend to anyone other than teenagers or groups of early 20's that a looking for a cheap and cheerful P***UP!!!!!!!!!!! Please if you have booked this property DO NOT expect 4* standard's it's more like a 2*.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 13, 2009

We arrived at the hotel about 3pm to be told that there were no rooms avalible. We were sent to another hotel in Gumbet for one night. We were taken and brought back by the hotel manager. We had to problems with this.

The room we were given was more that suitable. Large bed, tv, fridge, dressing table, air con and a clean bathroom. What more do you want?????

We spent most of our time at the silent pool. Met alot of great people. Not sure what the previous review was based on. All seemed very friendly to us.

Food in the hotel was great.. Lots of choice and the waiters cant actually do enough for you.

As for Gumbet.. What a lovely place.. Great for all ages...

Would definetly recommend this hotel and resort. Some of the reviews on here are very harsh.. You just cant please some people... :o)

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2009

may sound like a whinger but the rooms we had were awful.believe it or not i enjoyed the holiday and had a good time,the pool eventually became clear after 3 days but was fun,the water slide was real good fun,the restaurant very clean and pleasant,the food although not my cup of tea was actually pretty good,the drinks also good ,afternoon snacks could be varied ,that was a shame.i did complain to the hotel staff about our rooms to no avail.any further down the complex i would have been sharing with the waiters

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 8, 2009

We travelled with hotels4u and transfer there and back was about an hour - no problem. We arrived at the Hotel at about 5pm and was lead to a room at the back and bottom of the hotel (approx 100 steps) it was like a prison cell, one patio door entrance which was ironic becuase there was no patio! The room was dirty and mouldy No 522. I complained to the evening receptionist who smiled at me through gritted teeth and explained that no other room was available for 3 days, I was not accepting this and asked to see the manager, the receptionist said I had to come back in the morning which I did and there was no manager. After a third visit to the reception I finally got our room changed to number 237 by the day receptionist who is much friendlier. Room 237 was a lot bigger but it was right at the front of the hotel and the noise on the evening was unbelievable even through ear plugs, the noise came from nearby nightlife and constant traffic. LEAVE YOUR LUGGAGE AT RECEPTION TO VIEW YOUR ROOM BEFORE ACCEPTING IT!!

We had only been in room a couple of days and spare change 3 euros was taken from the dressing table - we presumed the cleaner had taken it as a tip - but then a couple of days later my son had approx £30 taken from his wallet which he had accidently left in one of the draws. We reported it to the security but nothing more came of it, the reception told us to come and see the general manager but he/she did not turn up again.

The food was ok we are not fussy eaters but everything was on the cheap - bread, eggs, pasta, rice to fill you up becuase meat was limited and very cheap. No themed nights or separate restuarants. The snack bar was chips and bugers ONLY then cakes between 5-6pm. It all got very boring with no variations. Lots of people paid to eat out and we did on one occasion but couldn't afford to again becuase of our medical expense so we were stuck.

There are two pools one was the silence pool (no music or pool games) which was clean but certain people who spent their time their were very clicky and looked at you like you had dog poo on your flip flops.

The second pool with the slide was dirty and dangerous. The pool tiles had algi on them and the water was cloudy and had leaves, cups, toilet roll and even human hair in it. It was not maintained properly and both of my children got ear infections to the cost of £260 for one child which we had to pay then claim back - DO NOT GO TO UNI-MED TOO EXPENSIVE. I saw several pool related injuries, broken nose, splits heads, sprained ankles becuase the area around the pool was very slippery becuase the drainage was set back 1 metre from the pool. The steps into the pool were very slippery with no railings to grab onto. This pool did slightly improve during our second week - i think somebody might have reported them. The only good thing about this pool was the DJ he played good english feel good music.

The hotel needs another pool becuase there was not enough sunbeds for everyone, people had to lay on there towels on the floor. The sunbeds are crammed in. Some occasions the pool staff would remove your towel off the sunbed in the morning and chuck it in a corner if you were not sat on it before 7am.

We enjoyed a day at the turgeteras (spelt wrong) market got some good bargains. We made our own way there def cheaper to shop around for trips than go with your rep. We also went to the Aquapark which was very clean and set out on two levels, the food was reasonable inside also. About ten slides there, wave pool and lazy river so not very big but only £13 to get in.

The beach in BITEZ is much nicer, quieter and cleaner than gumbet beach. Most of the beaches have hotel/bar owned sunbeds which are free as long as you are buying drinks/food.

This hotel is ok for young people who want to be right next to the nightlife and just use the hotel as a base for free drinks and ok food.

I would not recomment this hotel for families or anyone with walking difficulties, over 100 steps from top to bottom, no lifts, you have to carry your pram.

I have stayed in 2* apartment that was nicer.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 6, 2009

We arried at this hotel at 4.00am only to find no room for us. We had to wait another 3 hours before a room became available. We were not the only people that this happened to.
Communal area's at the hotel are good with the exception of the main pool that is dirty (human hair swimming around in the water) and smelly.
Restaurant is good with an enormous selection of foods.
Rooms are incredibly basic and not at all well finished off. The showers are shockingly poor and the rooms only have one electric point. There is a safe in each room but you have to pay 3EURO per day in order to use it. During our stay we heard of two different lots of people who had had money taken from their rooms. The hotel accept no liability for this so the safe is a must have!!!
The hotel advertises a fitness centre but actually the equipment in it is very basic and most does not work. Certainly weights were the only thing I coul use during my stay.
Since we had missed out on one nights accomodation we asked the hotel if they could supply a letter so that we could make a claim from our holiday insurance. They refused. No manager would speak to us and the receptionist advised that they were not interested.
All in all we could not possibly recommend this hotel. It was not cheap,customer service was not good and there are others in the area of a far higher standard for similiar cost.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 5, 2009

Stayed for 1 week with 2 mates and enjoyed every minute of it, for all inclusive it was great, the food was fresh and a large resturant meant you never felt crowded, staff were all friendly and helpfull, rooms were cleaned daily along with fresh towels, night life was only a 2 min walk and 5 for the beach-everyone seemed to enjoy the holiday and would defo go back, we all enjoyed it and for families it's a great place...

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 4, 2009

We arrived for our 14 night stay at the Palm Garden hotel on the afternoon of 13th August 2009. The reception area and staff seemed pleasant but appearances can be deceptive. We were allocated our room (423) but on arrival there were 2 single beds and a rusty camp bed for 2 adults, a teenager and a 10yr old girl. I went back up the 80 stone steps to the receptionist to complain. I was told that they would put another rusty camp bed into the room. They did this by squashing each bed up against each other - privacy was out of the question. I returned to the receptionist to say this was unacceptable for a four star hotel. We ended up spending the first 2 nights sharing 2 single beds until eventually my persistence got us a room change (120). Unfortunately this room was only a slight improvement. We had a double bed, a single bed but still a rusty old camp bed. Again they were all squashed together. The room had not been cleaned from the previous occupiers. There was an intermittent smell of sewerage throughout our stay. The shower was in poor condition and the balcony was only useful for drying towels as it was that small.
The restaurant again appeared nice. The food variety wasnt bad but it became apparent that the lunches and dinners were too similar. Breakfast became a joke after only a few days. Pancakes, boiled eggs, toast or continental pickings everyday. On the third day of our stay the severe stomach cramps kicked in. Quickly followed by all of us suffering from acute diarrhoea. Luckily we had packed 12 tablets but we needed another 12 to be honest.
On the 5th day of our stay my 15yr old son slipped on the wet marble steps when getting out of a small jacuzzi pool. His head split open with blood pouring from the open wound. Hotel staff stood staring but didnt help. I put a towel over the cut and took him to see the hotel doctor who wasnt there. I told the security guard we needed help urgently and he rushed around the hotel to find the doctor. When he arrived he took a quick look and said he required stitches. An ambulance came about 10 minutes later and we were taken to a hospital/ clinic. I cant fault the medical treatment he received but the next day when he was discharged they told me I had to pay a bill for £1002 even though I had provided them with my travel insurance details. Nobody from the hotel so much as asked if he was alright. Accidents at the hotel are so common I think they have become accustomed to them. I have never seen so many people slip, injure or feel unwell at any other hotel I have stayed in.
A piece of the water slide went into my fingers a few days later. It was a moderate injury but totally preventable. I showed pool staff and asked them to shut the slide down as it had a large crack near the end of the slide. They did nothing about it and continued to run the slide regardlessly. More people were injured but still they did nothing. It was in the same condition when we eventually escaped. The surrounding floor around the pool areas are marble which looks nice but is lethal when soaked with water.
The all inclusive package was the worst we have ever experienced. Alcoholic drinks were local beer, gin, vodka, raki or some awful turkish wine. Any other drink you must pay for - this includes bottled water, fresh orange juice, rum, whisky, cocktails or anything else you may fancy. Ice creams were not included either. The snack bar served just burger and chips. The sultan bar in the evening was open until 02.00 but any drinks ordered after 11pm had to be paid for. A rum and coke was 10TL which is about £4.20. I could continue listing faults with this hotel but it would take too long. Even though you pay your money when you book they are only interested in taking more.
I now have legal representation and would like to hear from anyone else who suffered problems staying at this hotel in 2009. Please contact me via email using hickabick at aol dot com or leave a comment and contact details. Oh and finally if you fancy a survival course for your annual holiday you have found the right hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family