“Bargain would go back”

Ranked #77 of 98 Hotels in Gumbet
London
“Bargain would go back”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Before I write my review I must say that I did NOT judge this hotel on being a 4 star but a 2 star establishment because if I did I would have been deeply disappointed. I stayed at the beginning of June and I paid less than £17 night. So for £17 per person I got a room with air con, breakfast, lunch, dinner, as much beer, vodka and soft drinks as I wanted, burger and chips throughout the day and a bit of entertainment. Bargain :)

When you paying so little (even in Turkey) something has to give and it usually standards.

The room was big with a flat screen telly with a few English speaking channels and was cleaned every day. The beds were ok but there was no top sheet but a cotton waffle blanket. We did ask for more sheets. We had a a very small Juliet balcony so not sitting out with a glass of wine. The bathroom was a good size and fully tiled. Lovely tiles but they must have employed Coco the Clown to put them up because there was grout everywhere and with any grout it discolours over time and looks dirty.

The pool area was lovely with great sunbeds and is cleaned every day, I know because I had to get up every day at 7am to put out my towels out so I watched the little Turkish man with his brush scrubbing the side of the pool. There is some more broken sunbeds on the raised decking area, just watch your feet for nails and broken boards. You don't want your little ones running on that decking. There is a bar by the main pool but none by the quiet pool so you have a choice of walking up 100 steps to the bar upstairs or coming back from the pool bar with two very small half-filled plastic cups. It’s amazing what a tip at the beginning of the day can do.

We ate every meal on the open air terrace and it was beautiful. Freshly made pancakes and Omelettes for breakfast. Chicken and fish dishes for lunch and dinner. Lots of fresh watermelon.

Sometimes the food on display was a wonder but isn't that one of the pleasures of a foreign holiday.

The hotel has free WiFi in the lobby area but at busy times (after dinner) it can be a bit hit and miss getting a signal.

If you want to rent a security box be warned they hand you the box at reception and you have to carry it back to your room. Letting everyone know that you will have all your valuables in one box unsecured to any wall.

Yes this hotel has it problems but would I go back again YES in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: This hotel is not for anyone with walking problems or young family with buggies. Too many steps
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BillyPinky

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Turkish first
Toulouse, France
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We've just landed back from Gumbet where we had 7 days in Palm Garden. I'll be extremly honest and if I could help you, it would be great.
This hotel is not 4 stars hotel. It is not renovated for years, the bathroom ( room 123 ) was so small that if you want to pick your shampoo, you can't. The walls in the room was dammaged, as the hotel wasn't renovated for years.Pls look at my pictures, I've joined them.
The food in the restaurant is cheap. Cheap saucissages and cheese, no choice in the salads, the main dishes were horrible ( like fast food, french frites for breakfast ??? ). We didn't have any fruits, only watermelon and melon. We also had rise, patatoes, pasta every day.
The Turkish bath ( hammam ), which is included in the all inclusive formula, is a simple sauna and a simple hammam - you can't use the service of someone who is goinf to scrap your body and to soap your body, as evry traditionnal turkish bath.. For those " services " you should pay extra.
The bigger pool is nice, but dirty, around the pool you have a lot of empty glasses and plates, food on the floor and the floor is sticky because of the beer or other drinks..
Normally, when you have a trip away from the hotel, the hotel should prepare for you a breakfast box - it's normal and everywhere. Here, in Palm Garden, they didn't give us this box, because they said we should have informed the reception before 8.30 pm. But nowhere it was written that we should inform before 8.30. So, we didn't have the box and they didn't want to let us drink a coffee.
At the reception desk, the english is not spoken. Only one employee.
The hotel was full with Turkish famillies, English famillies and some young english guys drunk all the time.
General conclusion : This hotel is very dirty, the cooking is horrible with cheap food, the rooms are not cleaned for more than 4 days, the bathrooms are very small and I do NOT recommend this hotel for your holidays.
Last thing : our last day, 2 famillies have been stolen from their rooms, money and personnal stuff....The Direction of the hotel didn't react, no help - nothing.....
Think very well before booking this hotel....
I hope my experience will help you ;)))

Room Tip: Be carefull when you leave your luggage in the luggage room. This room is extreamlly dirty and unloc...
1 Thank Petya P

Travelers are raving about these Gumbet hotels

Reviewed August 26, 2013

No professionalism, no customer service. If you don't want to ruin your holiday please stay away!!
From the receptionist whom treats you like a peasant to the waiters that don't care to the cleaners that barge into your room early in the mornings while your asleep- every single person was horrible!!!

• Stayed August 2013
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I have recently come back from turkey and I have to say the hotel was up to scratch. the rooms where quite a walk away from the main restraunt and the pool but I have to say they where upto standard and cleaned everyday. The staff where very friendly and most could speak good English. the food wasn't to bad considering it was all inclusive, I was with children aged 7 and 9 there was chips and chicken available everyday so they where fine to eat which kept me pleased for them and my family as i was also with a very fussy 17 year old who doesn't like certain foods. She also managed to eat everyday as there was chips and other meats provided. Even if you didn't like the food at dinner or breakfast there was always chips or a burger provided at the pool and of course drinks where always available (there was a selection of diet drinks to) . Overall I thought the hotel was standard and is in a good location as it is only a 10 minute walk from bar street or a 5 min walk to other bars and shops. I would recommend this hotel to any one who is okay with walking down a few stairs if not this hotel is not for you.

3 Thank 291Roch
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2013

On the first day of our stay at the hotel, we were sent an invite to see a trip advisor called Mr. Kaplan. DO NOT buy any trips via the hotel reps because they WILL rip you off and double the charge of the price compared to the street shops. Many shops sell various trips tickets at a much cheaper price (half the price of the hotel agent.). The shops are less than 5 minutes walk from the hotel.

Bodiam, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Spent 10 night in this hotel at the end of June with a big group of 16 friends (ages 17-18) and we all absolutely loved it.
Arrived late and we were taken to our room by the porter, have to admit we nearly died with the number of stairs, seriously underestimated everyones comment but there is enough stairs to last you a lifetime! We were missing a bed and had to ring down to reception a couple of times before we were brought one but the staff were all very apologetic.
The room was basic but clean and tidy and all we needed. Food was good, we found something to eat everyday and we were all a big fan of the watermelon :L
If you want a quiet relax in the day the pool is great, and the slide was really good also.
Cannot say enough praise for all the staff, animation team were amazing and we took over the karaoke, trip to gumbet and bodrum were well planned (Dennis was amazing!!) and cheap, and by the end they all knew us as the massive group of (drunk) English kids :L Although would suggest to avoid Raki, we didnt know what hit us!
The beach is mere minutes away and beautiful, and would recommend the watersports.
The nightlife in Gumbet was amazing, and if you can haggle you get a good price for drinks. Also would recommend a day boat trip, absolutely beautiful and not too expensive.
Seriously we didnt want to leave, we all miss the staff, the sun and this hotel for making it the best holiday of our lives :D
As a group young group of friends it was perfect value holiday for us to relax in the day and party at night. Wish we never left we love you Palm Garden!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank RowanT94
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2013

The grounds are pretty big, theres two pools, a quiet one where the gym and spa is and the big one with a big slide and bridge where everyone sunbaths and they play loud music and games all day. I think its great for families and couples, even elderly its very entertaining, there's a bar right at the pool so you can never get thirsty or hungry I think there's litrally one hour of the day where you can't get food! Its lovely! We were here for 10 nights and still didn't get to do everything and see everything, My family have been here several times as there have been to every other hotel in Gumbet over the past 20 years and love this one! The only downfall is the amount of steps to the majority of the rooms but if its a big problem just ask to be moved. The night life is amazing all the staff in the bars are so friendly and will remember your face. Be careful not to let them get too friendly, especially young girls. It can get very busy and the food seems to go down fast even though they are constantly putting it out and theres loads to choose from, some people especially the Turkish holiday makers and germans like to over load their plates and not even eat it. A lot of waste - Got on my nerves! Also the sunloungers get taken up quickly so be up early to get yours! Theres something for everyone here whether its shisha or a massage, darts competitions or aqua fit in the pool (very funny) If you go on a boat trip and want a quite day try and get the trip for 8 people the guy is lovely and goes to so much effort he even teaches you how to fish. We went twice he was that nice and its a great way to get a tan fast! I will definatly be going here again and can't wait!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple