“Lovely hotel”
Review of Palm Garden Hotel

Palm Garden Hotel
Ranked #80 of 101 Hotels in Gumbet
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Stayed twice at this hotel and i camt fault it as some one said you get what you psy for i love the food and the staff r friendly you csn lie around the quiet pool it lovely and relaxing i never heard music been played from 10am till late maybe it was the music outside .i will be staying there next year as it suits my every need

Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here in the last weekend of sept and after reading the reviews on here we were expecting the worst. Therefore when we arrived we were pleasantly surprised. Everything in our room worked, shower was good and hot and sheets clean. After speaking to other guests we were maybe lucky but other people said that if they didn't liked the first room they were taken to then they were able to easily swap. I assume that this was only possible due to it being a quieter time of year.
I really enjoyed the food, although I'm not a fussy eater. Freshly made pancakes/omelettes with fruit for breakfast, salad and Turkish pizza for lunch, afternoon cakes by the pool and freshly cooked meat and veg for dinner. There are so many options that you can't go wrong.

Yes, there are a lot of steps but it's on a hill as is the whole of gumbet and it means that the bar area and restaurant have really beautiful views.

The pool is lovely and if you want quiet then go to the quiet pool. The slide was so fun, but we are big kids so if it's not your thing don't do it.

The animation team were great, we really got involved and it made our holiday really fun. Deniz and mahmet try their best to get all the guests involved to improve their holiday and the hours they work is crazy. Must be hard especially as the season is winding down and so I don't understand why some guests felt the need to be rude to them. By getting involved we made loads of friends in the hotel which made our days better.

The hotel is in a good location, very close to gumbet and the beach and also a 15min shuttle bus for 3lira (£1) to bodrum which is really beautiful.

Overall you really do get what you pay for and be warned that a 4* hotel in turkey is probably more like a 2* hotel in the uk. If I had friends going to gumbet I would probably tell them about this hotel if they are looking for fun and on a budget.

1  Thank EmH138
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We were lucky with our room, it overlooked the pool and was on the same level of the restaurant. I can understand the complaints about some of the rooms, as some were further away and lacked light. There are lots of steps, but you wouldn't get the lovely views if you were not up on the hill. We knew about the steps beforehand and are able bodied so it was not an issue for us. The steps down to the street are preferable to walking up the hill.
The room was clean and everything worked ok. The cleaners came in daily. The bed was comfortable and we used the spare sheet from the extra small bed.
We stayed in October and reading the other reviews I think maybe the staff can't cope when it is really full. Having said that it was fairly busy and the majority of the staff were friendly and helpful. I always smiled and said please and thank you, I think this goes a long way. The staff work hard and I expect that their wages are not that high. I did experience a few guests being quite rude to staff. I found the barman at the pool a bit strange to start with but it is just his sense of humour and we got on really well after the first few days.
The food was fine. It could have been a bit hotter at times (get there earlier in the sitting if this bothers you). It was quite similar each day, but there is a good choice and you don't have to eat chips if you don't want to. I saw several people eating only chips, so I guess they are there for fussy eaters. The meat was always nice and tender (this is important to me, I can't stand fatty meat). Breakfast was fine, you can always get pancakes or omelette which are freshly cooked and therefore hot.
I agree that the vodka is probably watered down, but the beer was fine and the punch had quite a kick.
We joined in with the darts, water polo and pool games, and these were good fun. Having a choice of pool was good - the smaller one is a quiet area. The larger one has music and games etc. I loved the water slide, there was a sign saying "it is dangerous and forbidden to use the slide when it is off" - so I think parents need to take responsibility if their children were hurt in this way.
Several of the staff told us they will stay on at the end of the season for maintenance, so hopefully they will do the repairs that are needed.
Having read the reviews before we went we paid for a safe at reception, but we did not hear any accounts of theft so hopefully they have sorted this out.
I have stayed in several other hotels in the same price range and Palm Garden is of a similar standard - you get what you pay for.
We had a good holiday and all things considered this hotel is fine.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MAS656
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I wouldn"t recommend this hotel to anyone, except single+under25. Loud music is played non-stop from 10am-late. The food is reasonable but not very inspiring. Last but not least, the owner sits around the pool and bar area all day on his "reserved" chair with his acolytes, ignoring the many complaints.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Don't get me wrong the hotel does have it's flaws but you get what you pay for. We were greeted by reception staff on arrival and had help with our luggage to our room which was spacious and totally suited for our needs for a family of 5. Clean sheets and towels every day. 95% of the staff were friendly and helpful especially Deniz 1 and Deniz 2, Tanya(Terry) Muoso from the shop and Antonio Banderas look alike and many others too numerous to mention, they made our stay as pleasant as possible. The entertainment was a brilliant laugh (very simple but funny) the pool games were entertaining, you also had plenty of time for sunbathing in peace and quiet. The kids loved the pool and we all had fun on the water slide which went on twice a day. The food wasn't the best but what do you expect for the price, if you want better pay more. We ate out a few nights for a change and had a fabulous full english breakfast just down the road which was cheap enough to do if you have get a cheap all inclusive. I will be booking this hotel again as it's a great base for everything you want to do and see in Gumbert. Every hotel has it's faults but I'll make best with what I know. The weather amazing just loved it. The only people I wouldn't recommend this hotel to are large families with pushchairs and the unfit elderly because of the amount of steps. My tip to the hotel management would be to offer a better choice of alcoholic drinks i.e Malibu etc and a better quality wine!! I'm sure this hotel will improve over time and will take on board the negative comments!!

Room Tip: Make sure your room is away from the evening entertainment area as music is quite loud until 11.00pm
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank karen w
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed at the above hotel 27th sept to 4th Oct. We arrived late they struggled to find our reseveration on the system but the guy that was dealing with us was very helpful. We were also helped to our rooms with our cases. Good job really because they are copious amounts of stairs to get to the rooms we had been given.

Rooms
Rooms are very basic. Decent size and could be lovely if updated. A massive worry with these rooms would be safety for children. Light Switches not fitted correctly wires showing all over the place, base of shower unit falling off. Electrics held with all sorts of things to help them work. We kept getting a burning smell when we had the lights on obove our heads in the bed. It wasn't until our last night that we noticed the light bulb was burning through the shade. We had a joining room that had been closed off with a hinge that would normally be part of your lock to open and shut the doors. Not good at all.

We had cleaners come every day and change our sheets and towels but the floor or cupboards etc were never cleaned for the 7 days we were there you had to wear something on your feet when you had been in the shower etc. The cleaners did do lovely decorations with the towels and leaving fresh petals and flowers over the bed which was a nice gesture.

The food was very hit and miss didn't really enjoy it at all. But it was nice to see them cooking fresh bread, pizza, meat.

Staff
The staff on a whole every ok and some very helpful apart from a women that was on reception on our last day she was very arrogant and didn't want to help us sort our transfers out at all I am sorry I don't have a name but she is the older one of all the women that work on there. I am sure you will know her if you ever come accross her.

We asked for a late room and was quoted 15 Euro's per person per room but when we went to pay for this the lady mentioned above insisted on it being 20 Euro's per person and would not get into a conversatiion about the difference quoted.

The pool area was good for both kids and adults alike not really any life guards around. We didn't struggle to get beds at all for the whole of our stay. you can get chips and burgers round the pool for most of the day and there is a bar there also.

Overall experience of the hotel
You get what you pay for it was the first time we have been to turkey and we got a fantastic deal so really couldn't moan about it too much, but if I had paid more I would have been very dissapointed.

The all inclusive is a bit of a joke really you can only have lager or vodka and gin no other spirits are included at all, and after 10pm it is 1 drink per person and all inclusive ends at 11pm. you only get tiny plastic glasses for your drinks around the pool. and at the main bar you only get a small fruit juice glass for pop etc your are not allowed a larger glass at all.

We didn't let the hotel spoil our holiday because at the end of the day you only use your rooms to sleep or at least we do and the sheets were clean and fresh every day along with the towels.

If you are looking for anything above a 2 star then you need to stay clear of this hotel but be prepared to pay alot more.

We had a lovely holiday for our first time in Turkey and if we were to return we would never use they hotel again unless it went through a massive refresh and everything made safe. We would probably also choose to stay in Bodrum as it is a beautiful place and prices seemed cheaper that in Gumbet for eating out etc.

Hope this review helps you.

Room Tip: Don't go to this hotel with children for their safety with the condition of the electrics etc.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank melanieappleyard
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We traveled to this hotel on the 2nd September 2012. From the onset it was a disaster, when we arrived we had booked 2 separate rooms as we are young couples the staff were rude and did not want to give us the two rooms we had paid for. After some time we got taken to our dungeon (which apparently was one of the best rooms available) our dungeon was located about 90 steps away from the hotel and all facilities.. Our friends got taken to the room, the room smelt of damp the air conditioning was fed into a bucket at the doorway which requires emptying 4 times a day or you would return to a flooded room... Our room had loose plugs and no standard of hygiene it was less than 1* You expect basic standards from any hotel and this one certainly didn't have any. We asked in reception to get the air conditioning etc fixed were we received the worst customer service the staff sat drinking tea and ignored you. The vodka was like water the food was not nice .... Health and safety obviously has never been considered in the hotel... As we are a young couple we made the most of a bad place and would never return to the hotel and hope others would have a rethink in order to avoid the same situation ... After a week of living of rice and chips and travelling 90 steps to our dungeon we would never return to this hotel ... It was pleasant to return to the UK and witness basic manners, something that this hotel does not offer... Very unhelpful, dirty horrible place.

3  Thank Missmvm1920