“turkey,s best hotel”

Ranked #1 of 28 Specialty Lodging in Gumbet
chigwell
“turkey,s best hotel”
Reviewed June 5, 2012

I,ve just come home from my holiday at the Agar apartments I have been to Turkey six times now and I have never really like it however this is the hotel I have stayed in you could not be made to feel any more welcome,Mary and Alvin the management are always walking around making sure everything is OK and the rest of the staff are great, It is a short walk into Gumbet were all the night life is however it is nice just to sit round the pool bar where Ahmet Kenan and Smile will make you most welcome. If you want a good relaxing holiday the Agar apartment come highly recommended ,

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank ChigwellDave

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed May 30, 2012 via mobile

Had a great holiday, was first time in turkey and safe to say ad b back! People were lovely an food was great! Can't wait to go again!!

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank Simone12123
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We had a lovely holiday here in May. Our 1 bedroom apartment was quite well equipped. Only two electric rings to cook with but we expected that and werent intending to cook anyway. The air conditioning is only in the living rooms. The apartment was spacious for the two of us, I dont know if it would be a wee bit cramped with 4 guests staying in it, but who spends any time indoors. We had regular changes of towles and bed linen. However we noticed that in our 2 wk stay the floor was never swept. It was mopped regularly so the dust was just getting damply pushed from one side of the floor to the other. Our wash hand basin and toilet bowl was never cleaned either. Just buy wipes and bleach and get on with it. No time to moan at staff, we,re on holiday.
The poolside area was very well kept. Very clean and pretty, surrounded by shrubs and flowers. We never had to struggle for a lounger. That may change high season as the Agar was under occupied when we were there. As all the guests were British it was a nice atmosphere with everyone chatting etc.
The food at the restuarant was excellent, very good value for money etc., You can see into the kitchen and see for yourself just how spotlessly clean it is. We had no complaints there.
The hotel all seemed to be maintained to a very high standard. We could not find fault with any of the staff, all very professional, courteous and willing to help in any way. Although sometimes Mehmet thought he was working for the Ministry of Sound. Lol. The hotel is a short walk away from Bar Street, and a wee bit further from the beach. You can get dolmus to Bodrum up on the main road. The dolmuses to other resorts can be picked up at the dual carriageway near the Oasis shopping centre. The staff at the Agar will be only to happy to give directions. We did the day trip to Kos. Well worth the money. Pick up and return bus to ferry included in the price. It is a lovely trip.
We had great meals at the Jasmine Garden and Jacks Place. We had tried others, as recommended on tripadvisor, But frankly they were not anything special. The Jasmine does fantastic curries, both chinese and indian, also mexican and Turkish. Yum. Jacks Place is brilliant for steaks and Turkish.
Would we go back? Definately.

2 Thank ewnatnana
Northern Ireland
Reviewed May 21, 2012

What a fantastic holiday we had - this was mainly due to Agar Apartments and meeting great people.
On arrival at the hotel just after 2.00am we were greeted with smiles and after a swift check-in, shown to your room. We were also told that they would keep the bar open for a while just encase we wanted a drink. Bearing in mind that this was the very start of the season (I think it was day 1) and the hotel only had a few guests - none of which were at the bar. Note to self: next time let the staff know if we have no intension of having a nightcap as they hung around wondering if we were coming down for a drink (I only realized this too late).

The hotel was built in 2001, it still looks new and is perfectly clean and tidy. The rooms were very spacious, enough to swing a Turkish cat (only joking but I would stay clear of those suspicious cats). The size of this hotel is also just perfect, with 26 apartments all laid out around the swimming pool. I've never liked the idea of taking a lift down to the swimming pool and being overlooked by a skyscraper. No worries here then, Agar is the opposite of that nightmare.

The hotel has such a great atmosphere and the gardens are just beautiful. On many other holidays we often spend little time at the hotel and just head to the beach or to other bars & restaurants. Agar was different, the pool side is so relaxing and looks really well (top marks to the gardener). The food is also worth checking out, good attention to detail. Even a simple salad tasted great with a little bit of flat leaf parsley and a wedge of lemon, try that with the freshly squeezed orange juice while sitting in the sun. I would also recommend the BBQ night, do try the meze selection which was particularly good. The entertainment included a belly dancer followed by break dancers. I did not expect the break dancing to be very good, I was wrong.

The location of the hotel is great. The hotel is relaxing & peaceful but Gumbet town centre & the beach are only a short walk. The centre of Gumbet includes plenty of restaurants and bars. You can pick and choose something to suit your own taste, I recommend checking out restaurant reviews here on trip advisor before you go and make a list. A few highlights for me were:
Baris (just up the street from The Windmill) this restaurant didn't have any menu's, which made me smile. The owner is quite a character - waiter, chef, musician & menu. It seems to be mostly frequented by his friends and locals. The food was amazing. We choose a selection of meze for starters and then choose a fish main coarse. I still don't know what type of fish it was but it arrived freshly delivered by motorbike while we ate our meze. We were told a rough price at the start and if we didn't like anything - don't pay for it. My only complaint was a bottle of Efes (500ml) was 10 Lira, no big deal just would have been nice to know before we got the bill.
Also check out Divers for a nice meal. At the other end of the scale - basic but good try 'Pide & Kebap Salonu - Konya Nergiz' just around the corner from the hotel. I also found a cure for a hangover at Sandys Pub (chicken curry & chips). Sandys Pub is great for a drink too, always full of interesting people just having a chat, away from the noise of bar street.

Bodrum is also only 3km from the hotel and it's very quick & cheap to use the Dolmus bus service. Bodrum is must to visit, lovely marina, long beach, stylish shops & a multitude of restaurants. We got the Dolmus just around the corner from the Hotel and it only costs about £1 per person eachway. We went on the Tuesday and checked out the textile market (cheaper than shoplifting one trader shouted). If going for a drink in Bodrum, I would recommend asking how much the drink costs before you sit down at a bar. The prices can vary greatly.

I would love to go back to Gumbet and when I do, I will stay in Agar Apartments.
It's worth mentioning just how genuine & helpful Mary, Kenan & Ahmet were. They really do make you feel welcome.

5 Thank gottagogoa
Carrickfergus, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We arrived at the hotel in the middle of the night, the staff were happy to see us and helpful.

The location is quiet and away from the main town but close enough to walk to the main bar area.

The staff were really friendly and invaluable. We had a problem with our return transfer and Kennan and Mary were a great help and sorted it out for us (thanks again!).

The room, pool area and grounds were always clean and tidy and the restaurant and an extensive menu.

We don't usually stay around the hotel when we're on holiday but it was so relaxing and nice we just couldn't resist.

We made lots of friends both staff and fellow guests, definately a holiday to remember.

5 Thank GoaGirl2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed May 19, 2012

4 May to 18 May, 2012
Been home one day and already missing my holiday in the AGAR Apartments, Gumbet. Excellent accommodation, swim-pool, Pool Bar and Restaurant. My first week weather fantastic, however second was disappointing, cloudy with intermittent sun, rain mostly at night.
The apartments are only a 10 - 15 minutes walk to the numerous restaurants and bars (which do not come alive until at least 11 o-clock!
All the staff are very friendly especially the two 'idiots' who work the pool bar / restaurant.
Regretfully, one of a diminishing number of Self Catering establishments.
I recommend it.

Room Tip: I am sure all rooms are excellent value. I prefer 1st floor accommodation but there are rooms with b...