“Great Hotel”

Ranked #14 of 98 Hotels in Gumbet
wells.somerset
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2009

I went here by accident. As it was the end of the Season the hotel that i had booked had closed down.October 2008.Last week of season! Well i can tell you im glad it had, as SAMI BEACH HOTEL was exellent.
If you read other reviews of it being bad that could be because they are fussy and snobby or they paid a lot of money.You get what you pay for but talking to others all of gumbet hotels are like that. I can tell you compared to the stories of other guests from other hotels are's was a palace compared to their's!
Well i admit we didn't pay a lot £200 for the week B & B with the flight. The hotel is central , near the shops,bars,restaurants, Its on the beach.Its safe and clean. The pool is nice. Yes it can be noisy , i would suggest you don't get a sea view if you do the entertainment goes on until 2am by the sea.
If your young and don't mind the noise its the perfest hotel for you. If you have a family the only advice is ask for a back room or a middle room away from the entertainment. If you have a room facing the pool its quieter. The entertainment is exellent, the staff are happy and friendly.
The food is ok. Better to do B & B rather than half board. If you are going early on a trip and missing breakfast the staff will make you a packed breakfast if you ask for it. I recommend SAMI BEACH HOTEL SO MUCH IM GOING BACK IN 2009!

• Liked — position
  • Disliked — room

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Wales
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2008

We got to Sami beach apartments at about 02:00am on the 13th when we checked in we were allocated a double room when we reserved a twin we told the reception desk that night and they were happy to change us straight away, the bell boy took our luggage and seemed like we were walking down endless flights of stairs with no light the bell boy resorted to using his mobile phone as a light to see the steps and I at this point had already fell. When we got to the room it looked like a prison cell there was 2 beds on a black sticky floor, a lightblulb hanging from the ceiling, the bathroom was dingy and had a shower which had no hot water. There was a door which was hard to open as it was covered outside with overgrown plants so we had no natural sunlight in the room. I have stayed in a 2* hotel in Turkey and the standard was a lot higher. After raising this with reception they told me “when you pay cheap it is your problem ok”.

The evening meal was ok but nothing special and the breakfast was normally last nights meal warmed up. During the two weeks we stayed the housekeeping staff serviced the room twice, first they cleaned the room they came back knocking the door demanding a tip. It was not for another 8 days until they cleaned it again! The second time they cleaned the room they had taken about 20 ytl of loose change that I had on the bed!! After this incident we decided to get a safety deposit box, which we were constantly scared of asking the guys on reception for the key as they would mutter something among themselves and start laughing, slamming the key on the desk.

The second week I hired a moped which brought nothing but trouble, I have rented scooters in Turkey before with no problem but this time OH MY GOD! The first incident that happened was attempting to park it in there car park which was basically the pavement and a seat for the security guard. When trying to reverse I had brushed against a car, the security had dragged me off the scooter with the ignition still running and pushed me all the way into reception holding the back of my t-shirt I felt extremely embarrassed by this because at this point everybody had run into the lobby to find out what was happening, the man on reception told me to pay 300 ylt in damages, what damages? There was nothing on the car. The next day this price had gone up to 500 ytl he told me “Car has been in garage and mechanic charged 500 ytl” when I asked to see a receipt from the garage his reply was “receipt flew out of car window when we drive the car back”. The next day when the scooter was parked outside the hotel the security guard and the people who owned the restaurant next door to the hotel were disconnecting the spark plug from the scooter and trying to break the seat.

It was the final week when I had another bump on the scooter this time more serious, on the road outside the hotel a lorry had failed to indicate and swerved past me which resulted in me applying pressure on the breaks too hard and falling off the scooter (pretty normal in Turkey) Many locals helped me to my feet and took me inside the hotel. The staffs were trying to find the hotel nurse everywhere but she was nowhere to be found, they eventually found her out on the beach on a sun bed sipping cold drinks, she took one look at me and called the ambulance. In the hospital they started to do all kind of unnecessary procedures like an ultrasound a SQE test (heartbeat test) where all I took damage to was my foot and arm. After staying at the hospital for a while they ordered me to pay a bill which was massive and I didn’t even have that much money, I promised them I would come back tomorrow and refused to sign anything at the hospital I thought I had actually got away with it until they next morning I had the whole reception desk and half of Bodrum general hospital banging on my door at 7:00 am demanding I open the door they even started kicking the glass door outside when I finally opened it they told me to pay now, give them my passport or they would drive me to the police station, So my this point I was owing the reception desk for the car in the car park and also Bodrum hospital and I was also owing lots of money to the company I hired the moped from but that’s for a different forum I wont go into that now.

That night I went out and in one of the bars and saw the security guard from the hotel he was filming me and my friends on his mobile, so after that I called my parents who were staying in a town about 70 kilometres from me and they met me and paid the hospital. The hotel never got the money they demanded off me as I found a way out of the hotel without passing the reception. I hope this hasn’t but anybody off visiting Turkey, as most Turkish are friendly, hard working people just beware of the staff at the Sami beach apartments.

Also see Brutality by Turkish Police

Beware of hiring a scooter from Guzel Havas

• Liked — Sturdy doors people cant kick down
  • Disliked — Everything!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Gumbet hotels

sofia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2008

If you've chosen Bodrum for your summer holidays, Sami Beach Hotel is definitely not a good idea - quite dirty and rundown, change of towels - every three days, problems with running hot water, extremely noisy location, staff - quite unhelpful. We've done quite some travelling but this is definitely one of the worst places we've stayed in, even for a low-cost summer trip.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Bay of Plenty
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2008

The Sami Beach Hotel is on a lovely beach at Gumbet right
in the middle of English package tour country. It is a very tired hotel and we had problems with no electricity for our first night. All credit to the hotel that they fixed the problem the next morning but our showers in the dark hid a dirty and shabby bathroom which a bottle of bleach would have fixed.
We opted for the half board option which included breakfast and dinner. This was a mistake as despite being vegetarian one of us was very unwell for the next four days with tummy upsets from the dinner buffet.
Despite this the staff were very friendly and it was easy to catch the local dolmus into Bodrum town which was a delightful place.If you want easy access to the beach , English cooked breakfast, Sunday roasts and football matches on wide screen television, then this is the place to stay. If you want to experience the culture and hospitality of Turkish people then stay in Bodrum town.

• Liked — Location to beach
  • Disliked — Dirty room and got sick from the food
North Yorks
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2008

My partner and I have returned recently from the Sami Beach. We booked the hotel on the recommendation of a friend of a friend. We just wanted a cheapish week in the sun and that's exactly what we got. We booked half board through Icelolly.com and were reasonably pleased with the hotel and food. It also worked out much cheaper than eating out every night.

The hotel is in need of a make-over and we believe this is due to take place next year. Our room was quite small but had a balcony (which was partly taken over by a palm tree). The bed linen and towels were changed daily and our only problem was the inevitable noise caused by new guests arriving during the night ( our room was near to the reception area).

The hotel is situated in front of the narrow beach and is centrally placed in Gumbet. If I returned to Gumbet I would definitely consider booking at the Sami Beach again.

• Liked — The location
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JennyCNorthYorks
london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2008

This hotel is great value for money , we got a cheap deal and for what we paid it was great. It does need a good ol spruce up and the pool area wasnt great but the hotel is right on a nice part of the beach so its ok.They have two restuarants attached to the hotel which the golden knife is better of the two, they sell the best nachos i have ever eaten and do a extremely good roast dinner . it is a stones throw away from bars and restuarants so perfect location :-)

• Liked — the resturant and location
  • Disliked — pool
1 Thank lainie4386
sussex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2008

went to sami beach towards end of season with two best friends.
Only way to start the review is to say.........Pepsi, the coolest and hardest working man in turkey. He makes the sami beach hotel what it is! his service is endless and his character is second to non, I only have to mention JAMAICA BEACH and WHATS ON TONIIIIIIGHT! He made our holiday!

Being the first hotel built in Gumbet the location cannot be beaten, right on the beach, out the entrance to the right and you have all the restaurants for a quiet evening, out the entrance and left and you're on barstreet where the night can last as late as you want it to (6am!)!

On the beach there is plenty of sunloungers or if like us build a pile of cushions and just chill for the day in the blazing sun with drinks on tap.

The one trip we recommend is the boat trip, speak to another legend stephan, you won't regret it, paradise water and paradise scenery. Worth every penny!

Anyway i could write endless good things about this hotel and location but i think you get the picture, don't think twice about booking here definate 10/10

P.S
the hotel is having a complete refurb this winter so book up now for '09. WE ARE!!!

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
2 Thank owenandnancy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gumbet
Magnific Hotel
Bodrum Beach Resort
Bodrum Beach Resort
#8 of 98 in Gumbet
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,048 reviews

Been to Sami Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!