“Top notch!!”
Review of Sami Beach Hotel

Sami Beach Hotel
Ranked #10 of 101 Hotels in Gumbet
Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

Staying as a lone traveller at the Sami Beach. I booked a room for one, not expecting much more than a single room, but on arrival, I was lead to a HUGE room with a sizeable balcony and bathroom as well. Location is ideal for already access to the beach, shops and bars/restaurants. They staff are all very polite and friendly. Not a single bad thing to say about this hotel! Only fault was a dead bulb in main light, which they fixed in under 10 mins for me! Will definitely be back!!

• Stayed: July 2013
5  Thank Michelle J

Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a week recently with my mam. She had been here twice with my dad. We were in for half board. Breakfast was a bit disappointing. Dinner had plenty of choice and availability. One of the major grievances I had with the Sami Beach was the amount of cats they tolerated throughout the hotel and complex. I appreciate you cannot control animals but still....
As I said my mother was a return guest and she was quite disappointed with the room we were allocated. I did make reception aware of this and we were transferred to a different room. All of the staff were friendly and helpful, nothing was a problem for them if you requested something. The other grievance I had was the alcohol; one evening I had to return a gin and tonic as I could not taste any alcohol in the glass and again on another occasion I had ordered a piña colada and again there was no taste of alcohol in it. Both drinks were replaced but the point is I should not have to check if alcohol is actually in the glass when I order something. Great entertainment every night. In one sentence I would say "sami beach is a lovely hotel in a perfect location, however, if guests have prepaid for food, they should be allowed eat in any of the hotels restaurants and drinks should be given at a discounted rate. I have to say it is the first time I've been on a sun holiday and was never offered or given one free drink! It stunned me!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank galwaygirl27
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Me and my boyfriend went for 2 weeks half board.

Pool and rooms are very very clean and get cleaned daily.
Initial room only had a small balcony door letting very little light in but we were moved to a much better room with a larger balcony without any problem. All rooms have air conditioning for free which comes in extremely handy with the weather been so hot. Parasols are widely available around the pool and on the beach, ideal for those with children. The safety deposit boxes are not located in your room but in the reception. All rooms have a fridge.

Service around the pool is excellent - Waffle king will come around offering their menus (ice cream, waffles), bar staff offer menus and regularly check if you are ok for drinks which service like that is hard to find. If you wanted you could lay on the sun lounger for 2 weeks and have everything you need brought to you. They don't like you bringing your own snacks and drinks to the pool - we saw it as we had paid towards having the pool so we will bring what we want, the shop over the road if far cheaper than the prices the bar charge (bottles of water 75cents as opposed to the 5tl in the bar).

The Sami boat trip is well worth doing. 50tl all inclusive. Captain of the boat is not the man who tries to sell you the trip (dont be fooled). The actual captain is a lovely man and usually brings his 84 year old dad as well as another crew member. Lovely, hillarious people and ensure you have a very good time - they make the boat trip and take you to some lovely places.

Location is right on the beach which is ideal as on a night you can either sit in bars around the bay (Beach House is very nice) or for a more lively night bar street is not far from the front of the hotel however the hotel is far away enough to not hear the noise from bar street.

Food in the hotel is basic but you can usually make a good meal from what you are given, the food did get a bit tedious towards the end of the two weeks but its cheap enough to eat out anywhere - Windy bay (9tl for a large drink and meal) and the Columbia steak house are well worth what you pay. Shamrock bar is also very cheap - good for pre drinks or evening a night away from bar street (6tl for a vodka and mixer, 5tl for a bottle of Effes). Food is not really suitable for children sometimes.

Staff in the hotel tend to be more interested in making money from passers by than making guests have the best time, they want you to buy from the menu when you've paid half board, serve new customers great meals whilst guest are stuck with the buffet. Sometimes feels like they have your money so they will serve you anything.

Pepsi and Freddie make you really feel very welcome and do not pester you unlike the Beach BBQ guy and the bar manager who just want you to spend your entire holiday spending money in the over priced bar (hotel guests get no discount so don't have an incentive to go). Pepsi and Freddie are a credit to the hotel - very nice guys.

Entertainment in the hotel is not always the best (Circus act with 4 dogs is essentially a clown that skips with 2 dogs that don't like to behave) but if you don't like what is on there are plenty of other places to go - Hotel Nagi (next door) also have entertainment. The "No name dancing bar" is entertainment in its self, sitting back and watching the staff dancing can be very funny. Also Brothers bar get you involved without forcing you to dance like some places do.

All round lovely hotel, great location and ideal for families, children, friends, older people, younger people, people travelling alone and couples - suited for everyone and the majority of the staff make you extremely welcome.

We went through Thomas Cook and the rep in the hotel wasn't the best but there are plenty of places where you can book trips - don't buy in the street, go the the shops but you can usually barter down prices rather than paying the expensive Thomas Cook prices.

Would definitely go back and would recommend to anyone wanting to try Turkey for the first time like ourselves. We had heard mixed reviews from very bad to very good, in our opinion we would be back tomorrow if we could!

Room Tip: ask for a pool view with the large balcony's or the garden view Request not to be over the road...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Charlotte B
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Just got back from a week half board on a girls holiday.
The hotel is basic but clean and the staff we found to be very friendly and helpful.
The location is perfect for beach, pool, shops and bar street. Go out the front of the hotel and its lively, go out the back and more family friendly.
Yes it is basic, the balcony was tiny (no room to sit out for a drink in the evening really) and the room was fairly dark - a good thing though in the heat. The shower sprayed all over the place but the water flow was constant and always hot. Our air con started dripping water out of it several times, in the end we gave up complaining and put a towel under - we couldn't be bothered to make a fuss.
Tips if you've booked-
- the safe isn't within the room, its 30 lira and it takes two keys, one you keep and one its kept on reception. We took our keyrings off the keys for security when we're on the beach.
- there is no hot breakfast really apart from boiled eggs and only on certain days they do other things - pancakes on one day
- there's lots of inflatables in the pool so good if you have kids
- sunbeds are free on beach front
- no food or drink is allowed to be brought in from outside the hotel (although we had water and snacks)
- the thomas cook rep tended to be a bit all over the place, though not the fault of the hotel
- luggage room has a shower in it but if you leave your case and someone goes for a shower the door will probably be locked - we ended up sitting outside waiting for them to finish so we could get our bags
- try the ice cream its really nice!
- go to no name bar next door - lovely staff and great drinks
- entertainment varied but we didn't watch it much, good for families though

Gumbet has beautiful clear beaches, tons of sunbeds, lots of places to eat, really fun lively bars and is a short distance away from Bodrum. Eat out at Peters Place, its delicious and good prices.

Room Tip: Ask for pool view for decent size balcony
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank AllyR86
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Me and mum go to the Sami Beach Hotel in Gumbet every single year I’ve been going there for 12 years (since I was 1) and my mum has been going there for 18 years that is how much we love it ! We always have a fantastic time and have just come back today after having our usual half term week under the beautiful Turkish sunshine on the Sami's very own beach. The staff at the sami couldn’t be more wonderful they just can't do enough for you rushy to your every need. The pool is also amazing its not too BIG and its not too small its perfect size. As well as all this the Sami has a superb beach catered for everyone with many umbrellas dotted around however there’s lots of sunny spots too!Food at the sami its gorgeous BURSTING with flavour for those who love tasteful foods of the world and plain foods for those people who are not so adventurous. Also if you get a bit chilly whilst having dinner the staff at the hotel are fully prepared and have lovely fleecy blankets waiting for you! In august me and my mum are going back to the sami for my 13th birthday this is because it has the most warm and welcoming atmosphere about it that you just have to keep going back. Overall the Sami is an excellent hotel and one day I hope I get the chance when mi older to take my children there. I really recommend the sami too all types of families so please give it a try thank you !! x

Room Tip: 1st floor above the garden opposite the restaurant.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Megan w
Reviewed July 4, 2013

IMHO, overall, this hotel represents great value for money and I can say, being a regular visitor to Gumbet, it is definitely better than a lot of others.

I'm at a loss as to why some folks travel abroad if they want everything to be the same as it is at home. Why they can't try some of the food before declaring that, as they don't know what it is they're not going to eat it. Why they find cultures different to ours so challenging and witter about it all the time. Why they pay the same price for this hotel for a fortnight as a long weekend in Britain and expect 6* luxury. Why they choose a resort that is clearly advertised as being a noisy one, then moan about the noise. I wish these folks would holiday in Britain! Rant over.

Anyway, I find the food (given what you pay for this hotel) is perfectly acceptable, it isn't luxury, it isn't all aimed at British visitors but.....I like it. There's plenty of selection and I can always find something I like to eat and enjoy.

The hotel is situated centrally in the resort and right on the beach. Please be aware that Bar Street has gotten louder this year and, even though it is five minutes walk away, you can hear it in the rooms at the Sami. I'd be surprised if there are any central hotels immune to the noise. It doesn't bother me at all but, if you are looking for silence and tranquillity.....this may not be for you.

I would agree with previous comments that the lighting in the rooms is a little dim, not helped by the dark timbered roof and dark furniture. That said, I find the rooms clean and comfortable and the facilities meet my needs. Maid service was fine and linen changes good.

I don't use the hotel bar much and don't watch the entertainment as it's not my bag, I tend to go out and about every night.

Gumbet is a fun holiday resort, there's something for everyone and I'll likely carry on visiting in the future.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank bringmesunshine11
Reviewed July 3, 2013

A party of six have just returned from Sami Beach after a 10 day stay.

Overall the complex is decent, rooms are slightly dated but it was clean and the air con worked a treat so no complaints. The noise from the Bar Strip wasn't too bad from our position in the complex either.

We had a turkish bath on site which was fun as the staff were great.

The food was average, after 10 days there are only so many cheese and meats you can eat, and it was a relied when they did the occasional omelette.

The negatives, well firstly the Captain. I know the man is doing his job but god does he get annoying. We asked our spanish friend in our party to take over negotiations after a while just so he would move on to another target.

Other notes, there is a mental Cat on site which frequents the restaurant and meows constantly so be on the look out!.

Overall it did the job and was clean and safe. I wouldnt stay again but thats more due to not staying in Gumbet again. I think one trip is enough really.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank MattMackin89
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gumbet
0 mi away
Club Hotel Vela & SPA - All Inclusive
Isis Hotel
Isis Hotel
#24 of 101 in Gumbet

Been to Sami Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!