“Satisfied at average...”

Bodrum Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 101 Hotels in Gumbet
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We have been the hotel in September 2012. You can see hotel and staff is new built. I believe staff will be better for summer 2013 as they were all new employed during summer 2012. Food and drinks has enough variety which covers most of the small missing things. Location is fantastic to enjoy Bodrum. You can reach Gumbet by walking 5 minutes. Hamam&sauna and massage center small but staff is very friendly and well educated.

Room Tip: We stayed at large rooms but if you are couple standard room is enough. Because there is a bunk bed...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Peter G

Reviewed November 9, 2012

travelled in July 2012 for 1 week, hotel very clean, food selection good - more could have been offered for children, other than the usual pizza and pasta! staff ok, pleasant enough.
Hotel layout very poor - was located at far end of complex on other side of road ( tunnel connecting the two parts of the hotel). room was spacious and very clean.
entertainment needs vast improving - no activities during the day - either poolside or elsewhere, evening seemed very dull, with either very little or no entertainement.
Turkish bath on site very well worth a visit!!!
Location of hotel is good - just a short 5 min walk to the local shops
Beach was very poor and dirty - with overflow of waste water from nearby hotel flowing freely.
although did enjoy holiday would not return to this part of Turkey.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Sarah_Jane72
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We weren't expecting 4 star luxury on a cheap last minute break to Turkey, as 4 star there is very different to English standards anyway! It was 3 star ish, but very clean, and the staff, especially the bar staff were lovely.
People that moan about cats roaming around are obviously not cat lovers, but they weren't a nuisance, and anybody that has been to Turkey or many places in Greece before should expect to see lots of cats and dogs everywhere!
The pools were nice, and it was good to have the options of the more family orientated one by the bar, and the quiet one throught the tunnel, which rarely had anybody there.
The only slight issue for us was the food, so even though we were all inclusive, we did eat out a fair bit. The variety of food was good, but the hot food was always lukewarm or even cold, and it did get a bit samey. Overall well worth the money though, and having seen the other hotels around Gumbet, I think we chose wisely! The location was good, close enough to things without being right in the centre of the noise of the main town.

Room Tip: The rooms right by the family pool would have been really noisy on the nights that the bar staff par...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Yogatastic
Reviewed October 15, 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a last-minute weeks stay at the Bodrum Beach Resort and this is our feedback.

We booked and travelled with Thompson and our experience of flights and arrivals mirror everyone else's so I won't mention them again suffice to say that we felt the late book out charges were exorbitant at 80 Euro's for 10 hours so simply put what we needed in a bag and left our bags in the (unlocked) luggage room in reception.

With regard to the hotel itself, as one would expect of a facility which has only been open for approximately six months, the standard of the buildings and all facilities was generally excellent. We had requested a room in the quiet area of the hotel however, we were actually placed in a room overlooking the main pool (more of this later). The room was in excellent order and the views across the harbour fabulous although both my wife and I had problems sleeping on the hard mattress. However, this can possibly be put down to personal preference.

There are three pools at the hotel; one in the quiet area which we didn't use, one small one into which four water slides descend and a main pool. All were kept in excellent order with the pool man in frequent attendance.

The location of the hotel cannot be faulted being barely 200 metres from the beach (albeit across a scruffy car park) and within easy walking distance of numerous bars and shops. The main town of Bodrum is a short (and cheap) bus ride away and provides everything anyone could ever want.

The main asset of the hotel are undoubtedly the staff who are quite simply fabulous. From the cleaners who seemed to work both tirelessly and constantly to the waiters in the restaurant, everyone was extremely attentive, very chatty and quite amazing with those children in residence. This despite it being the last week of the season when one could reasonably have expected them to be exhausted!

Others who have reported on the hotel have commented on the food however, as salad fans we found it to be generally excellent and plentiful if slightly repetitive menu wise. If I have one complaint, it's that ice cream never seemed to feature on the menu. If it did, I missed it!

The one and only complaint we have about the hotel relates to the main pool or more specifically, the poolside bar. The bar itself is quite scruffy and for some reason, the hotel feels the need to play music constantly. Although it's very repetitive, it's quite pleasant however, from about six o'clock onwards it's almost like being in a nightclub. At times, the volume is beyond ridiculous to the point where it makes any kind of conversation all but impossible. Unfortunately, although they will happily turn it down if asked, it's usually only a matter of minutes before it begins to creep back up. Given that this often goes on until two in the morning, it's something of a nightmare when it's happening under your balcony!

But just as importantly, many couples, especially elderly ones, simply avoid the place altogether. If it's a ploy to save the hotel money on the all-inclusive bar tab, it's certainly working! However, all it did for us was simply force us out into the local bars or into our room with the door closed firmly shut! Not that it helped that much!

Despite that, we would heartily recommend the hotel to anyone but if you don't like loud music, take ear plugs!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Dougie_Brimson
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We have just returned from The Bodrum Beach Resort, Gumbet. We were there in a party of 9 altogether (3 lots of 2 friends and one family of 3 including 2 children) from Sept 20th to Oct 4th. As we booked before this hotel was finished we were waiting on the reviews and reading them up until the day we went. I try not to think too much into the bad reviews knowing everyone's preferences are different but I did find them interesting to read, leaving me not really knowing what to expect. We arrived early hours of the morning, flights and transfers were spot on. We all checked in separately under our own booking references, we had requested a room on a high floor, with a pool view and next to our friends, we could not have gotten more than we asked for, our rooms were perfect and we were very happy. 2 of our friends had a room through the underpass and on the other side of the road, that wasn't too much of an issue but their room was not as nice as ours. The issue started when the last of our friends (the family of 3) checked in. They had booked their own holiday so had there own booking reference. We did email the hotel well in advance of the holiday asking to be near to each other. It started by the guy on reception telling her she had to share our room, yes we had a room big enough but that's not the point her holiday booking was separate to ours and we did not want to be cramped in one room for the 2 weeks. When she refused to do that they give her a room at the other end of the resort, it could not have been further away if they tried! She was not happy with the room or location and to make matters worse the front door did not lock and the balcony door to what would be the kids room was broken and would just slide open. When she went back to reception the guy told her it was tuff, the hotel was fully booked and to find another hotel. Not what you want to be told at 2am when just arriving in a foreign country. We phoned the 24hr out of hours line who were also no help by saying there was nothing they could do. After 3 hours of traipsing back and forth she decided to give up for the evening, say in one of our rooms and see the rep in the morning. The hotel was not fully booked as a lot of people were still arriving and checking in so at the time of complaint could have been allocated a different room. That first night was a nightmare and we couldn't believe what was happening. We saw the rep at 9am the next morning who knew of her situation and had arranged a different room for her, this room was in the main hotel which she was happy with and decided to put the first night behind us and not let it put a dampener on the holiday. Our room was perfect in every way, one bedroomed apartment which had a double bed in room and a bunk and settee bed in lounge area. It had table and chairs and a kitchen area and the bathroom. It was a huge room and especially for us 2 people but weren't going to complain at that. The air conditioning worked fully also. Seeing the different rooms we had between all of our party I can understand why people would not be happy, guess we just got lucky!!

The pool area was lovely, the pool a good size and the slides fun. We never did venture over to the relaxing pool as we were so close to the main facilities. There was always a member of our party who was up early to put the towels on our bed but we were wanting 9 together. The music around the pool was very poor, you could not give requests, the songs were unrecognisable other than the one 'slit your wrists' cd they had which was full of Lionel, Whitney and Celine Dion. They could never find a happy medium with the volume, it was generally too loud and you couldn't hear people talk. The pool bar was ok, only good for the free drink. The barmen were so miserable, they would only fill your drinks half and were not happy if you asked them to fill to the top and yes the bar reeked, it was disgusting!! I would recommend the Turkish bath, it was a nice and relaxing way to start the holiday and prepare for tanning. Hotel is set in a very good location, right on the beach front.

Onto the food... I had never done all inclusive before and really did not know what to expect. Breakfast had a good choice, breads with a toaster and panini machine, cereals, fruits, cooked meats, Omelettes, pancakes and more. Dinner and tea were pretty much the same most days. The chicken did not seem to be cooked properly on most occasions. My plates were carb filled at each sitting. The ice cream counter was amazing and I was very impressed in the first week the bottled water which meant I could drink loads throughout the day which I like to. After the first few days of all inclusive you do get a bit sick and gets very repetitive but just got on with it. There were a lot of flies which put me off too. We were very disappointed in our second week to find they had ran out of bottled water, they'd cling filmed the pizza and breads oven up and they ran out of the ice cream. You could really tell they were coming to end of season which I think is terrible when you've paid the price you don't expect anything different. There was another 2 weeks before closing for season so we were thinking about the poor people still arriving. We ate out a few times at Windy Bay where the food was gorgeous, friendly staff and excellent Value for money.

One final thing I'd like to mention which would be the only reason putting me off going back to Gumbet is the amount of stray dogs!! I do not like dogs and felt so uncomfortable with all the stray dogs around the beach front and making there way up the streets inland a little. I've never known any when I've been on holiday before or to Turkey but there were loads of them which really spoilt my walks around the resort/streets and beachfront.

Overall I am glad I went, had a lovely holiday with lovely company and the hotel did us justice. If it wasn't for the many stray dogs yes I would go back.

Sorry for the long review but hope you found it useful.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Emlou82
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We stayed for 2 weeks from 24th September until 9th October. After arriving very early morning on 25th, we were greeted by one person on reception and a massive queue of people waiting to check in. After finally getting to the reception desk, we filled in the forms given to us by the gentleman that spoke very poor english. We then found out that the rooms we were given were not what had been requested, but we decided to go along with it anyway. We were helped to our rooms by a very helpful man, only to discover they had put my sister, her husband and their baby on the third floor, as well as trying to fit 3 people in to a room with only 2 single beds. When we questioned this, their solution at reception was to try and fit a camp bed in the already cramped room.
We finally got our rooms sorted out at approximately 5am even though we did not get the rooms we had booked, only to find out that they had given the rooms we had booked to other people and tried to fob us off with other rooms, saying they were fully booked and nothing could be done for a week. (it wasn't fully booked but we were told it was)
We got to our change of room to find that we had a view of a moldy white wall right next to the relaxation pool, which at 9 o clock in the morning is not quiet. Not only this, we found that the room was dirty with dirty floors and sheets.
We were stuck with the wrong rooms for a week of our stay, but through our persistent nagging and our reps nagging we were able to get moved to the room we were originally meant to have.
The food can only be described as being poor. Not a wide selection at all, and the meat was very rarely cooked properly, many times we found chicken and turkey raw. Not only that but there was meant to be an ice cream stand in the dining room for all inclusive, but this was removed before the end of our stay.
The waiting staff were hit and miss, some of the staff were more than helpful, others were happy to leave the tables dirty and messy.
The drinks are given in small glasses in the dining room meaning you have to make several trips to get drinks.
The bar was better with their drinks, in that you get given more in a cup, however, the bar is very smelly due to the drains.
The pool and generally clenliness of the hotel is pretty good.
There are no activities or entertainment to speak of, so all of the kids occupy the pools during the day which means they can get quite crowded.
The surrounding area is fabulous and there are several places to eat out around the hotel. One place is along the beach called Windy Bay. The food is absolutely beautiful there as this is where we spent our last couple of days eating due to the food being so poor.
On the whole it wouldn't be such a bad holiday if it wasn't for the fact we had paid so much, if it were cheaper it would be what you paid for, but as it was fairly expensive I feel massively let down by it!

Room Tip: rooms nearer the pool - they are away from the road and have better views.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank SarahJS861
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Me and my family stayed here for a fortnight from 24th September until 9th October.

This hotel is not a new build. The building itself was built a number of years ago but only finished off in June this year. It shows!!!

We arrived at 1.30am and as there was only one member of staff on it took us until 4am to get to our rooms (wrong ones). The member of staff had poor English and not a clue what he was doing. We were allocated the wrong rooms on arrival. We were given a very small room with twin beds but there were 3 of us! We were then given a different room under the tunnel away from the main hotel. As I have walking difficulties I was unable to make the very steep slope under the tunnel so my youngest daughter had to share this room with my other daughter and her partner (not ideal as they are a young couple in love lol).

The rooms on the other side of the road under the tunnel are disgusting. They either have views of a dirty white brick wall with no sunlight or the road. This is not acceptable.

When I complained the next morning to Jonny the useless rep all he could say was that the booking was made by the travel agent and they were at fault for the wrong allocation of rooms so we would have to complain to them. When my daughter explained that she was the travel agent that had made the booking his face was a picture and he started to back track. It was hilarious to see. It seems that the majority of guest that arrived at the same time as us were allocated the wrong rooms. I wonder if this was down to the poor English and incompetence of the receptionist that hadn't got a clue what he was doing.

We were finally given the correct room a week later but I must say that the move was painless and the staff were good.

There are a number of snagging issues all over the complex and some of them have caused injury to guests. broken tiles and edging stones in the pools and very uneven block paving and paving that hasn't been finished to an adequate standard.

Having said that the pools and slides were a bonus.

The food was extremely mundane and some of it was under cooked and I'm surprised there wasn't outbreaks of food poisoning! Breakfast was what you can expect from a Muslim country so we have no complaints there except that pastries and jam would have been nice. Also, sprouts and chips were on the breakfast menu...... most odd!

After discovering that the chicken was undercooked we no longer trusted the food, which consisted of chicken and turkey everyday. There was ice cream in the first week but this was removed in our second week with no explanation. I can only guess that it was the end of the season and they couldn't be bothered to provide it any longer.

By the end of the fortnight we were eating out as we couldn't face it as even my husband who eats anything wouldn't eat there.

We didn't let this spoil our holiday though and made the most of the weather.

I hope that they improve and get it right next season or I would recommend that Thomson/First Choice stop using them as it will give them a bad name.

Although the hotel is in a great location we will not be going back !!!

Room Tip: must stay in the main building.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank truthhurtsBirmingham
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gumbet
Luvi Hotel
#6 of 101 in Gumbet
Parkim Ayaz Hotel
Parkim Ayaz Hotel
#8 of 97 in Bodrum City

Been to Bodrum Beach Resort? Share your experiences!