“Great holiday, nice hotel... but oh... the music!!”

Bodrum Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 101 Hotels in Gumbet
Reviewed October 15, 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a last-minute weeks stay at the Bodrum Beach Resort and this is our feedback.

We booked and travelled with Thompson and our experience of flights and arrivals mirror everyone else's so I won't mention them again suffice to say that we felt the late book out charges were exorbitant at 80 Euro's for 10 hours so simply put what we needed in a bag and left our bags in the (unlocked) luggage room in reception.

With regard to the hotel itself, as one would expect of a facility which has only been open for approximately six months, the standard of the buildings and all facilities was generally excellent. We had requested a room in the quiet area of the hotel however, we were actually placed in a room overlooking the main pool (more of this later). The room was in excellent order and the views across the harbour fabulous although both my wife and I had problems sleeping on the hard mattress. However, this can possibly be put down to personal preference.

There are three pools at the hotel; one in the quiet area which we didn't use, one small one into which four water slides descend and a main pool. All were kept in excellent order with the pool man in frequent attendance.

The location of the hotel cannot be faulted being barely 200 metres from the beach (albeit across a scruffy car park) and within easy walking distance of numerous bars and shops. The main town of Bodrum is a short (and cheap) bus ride away and provides everything anyone could ever want.

The main asset of the hotel are undoubtedly the staff who are quite simply fabulous. From the cleaners who seemed to work both tirelessly and constantly to the waiters in the restaurant, everyone was extremely attentive, very chatty and quite amazing with those children in residence. This despite it being the last week of the season when one could reasonably have expected them to be exhausted!

Others who have reported on the hotel have commented on the food however, as salad fans we found it to be generally excellent and plentiful if slightly repetitive menu wise. If I have one complaint, it's that ice cream never seemed to feature on the menu. If it did, I missed it!

The one and only complaint we have about the hotel relates to the main pool or more specifically, the poolside bar. The bar itself is quite scruffy and for some reason, the hotel feels the need to play music constantly. Although it's very repetitive, it's quite pleasant however, from about six o'clock onwards it's almost like being in a nightclub. At times, the volume is beyond ridiculous to the point where it makes any kind of conversation all but impossible. Unfortunately, although they will happily turn it down if asked, it's usually only a matter of minutes before it begins to creep back up. Given that this often goes on until two in the morning, it's something of a nightmare when it's happening under your balcony!

But just as importantly, many couples, especially elderly ones, simply avoid the place altogether. If it's a ploy to save the hotel money on the all-inclusive bar tab, it's certainly working! However, all it did for us was simply force us out into the local bars or into our room with the door closed firmly shut! Not that it helped that much!

Despite that, we would heartily recommend the hotel to anyone but if you don't like loud music, take ear plugs!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Dougie_Brimson

Reviewed October 11, 2012

We have just returned from The Bodrum Beach Resort, Gumbet. We were there in a party of 9 altogether (3 lots of 2 friends and one family of 3 including 2 children) from Sept 20th to Oct 4th. As we booked before this hotel was finished we were waiting on the reviews and reading them up until the day we went. I try not to think too much into the bad reviews knowing everyone's preferences are different but I did find them interesting to read, leaving me not really knowing what to expect. We arrived early hours of the morning, flights and transfers were spot on. We all checked in separately under our own booking references, we had requested a room on a high floor, with a pool view and next to our friends, we could not have gotten more than we asked for, our rooms were perfect and we were very happy. 2 of our friends had a room through the underpass and on the other side of the road, that wasn't too much of an issue but their room was not as nice as ours. The issue started when the last of our friends (the family of 3) checked in. They had booked their own holiday so had there own booking reference. We did email the hotel well in advance of the holiday asking to be near to each other. It started by the guy on reception telling her she had to share our room, yes we had a room big enough but that's not the point her holiday booking was separate to ours and we did not want to be cramped in one room for the 2 weeks. When she refused to do that they give her a room at the other end of the resort, it could not have been further away if they tried! She was not happy with the room or location and to make matters worse the front door did not lock and the balcony door to what would be the kids room was broken and would just slide open. When she went back to reception the guy told her it was tuff, the hotel was fully booked and to find another hotel. Not what you want to be told at 2am when just arriving in a foreign country. We phoned the 24hr out of hours line who were also no help by saying there was nothing they could do. After 3 hours of traipsing back and forth she decided to give up for the evening, say in one of our rooms and see the rep in the morning. The hotel was not fully booked as a lot of people were still arriving and checking in so at the time of complaint could have been allocated a different room. That first night was a nightmare and we couldn't believe what was happening. We saw the rep at 9am the next morning who knew of her situation and had arranged a different room for her, this room was in the main hotel which she was happy with and decided to put the first night behind us and not let it put a dampener on the holiday. Our room was perfect in every way, one bedroomed apartment which had a double bed in room and a bunk and settee bed in lounge area. It had table and chairs and a kitchen area and the bathroom. It was a huge room and especially for us 2 people but weren't going to complain at that. The air conditioning worked fully also. Seeing the different rooms we had between all of our party I can understand why people would not be happy, guess we just got lucky!!

The pool area was lovely, the pool a good size and the slides fun. We never did venture over to the relaxing pool as we were so close to the main facilities. There was always a member of our party who was up early to put the towels on our bed but we were wanting 9 together. The music around the pool was very poor, you could not give requests, the songs were unrecognisable other than the one 'slit your wrists' cd they had which was full of Lionel, Whitney and Celine Dion. They could never find a happy medium with the volume, it was generally too loud and you couldn't hear people talk. The pool bar was ok, only good for the free drink. The barmen were so miserable, they would only fill your drinks half and were not happy if you asked them to fill to the top and yes the bar reeked, it was disgusting!! I would recommend the Turkish bath, it was a nice and relaxing way to start the holiday and prepare for tanning. Hotel is set in a very good location, right on the beach front.

Onto the food... I had never done all inclusive before and really did not know what to expect. Breakfast had a good choice, breads with a toaster and panini machine, cereals, fruits, cooked meats, Omelettes, pancakes and more. Dinner and tea were pretty much the same most days. The chicken did not seem to be cooked properly on most occasions. My plates were carb filled at each sitting. The ice cream counter was amazing and I was very impressed in the first week the bottled water which meant I could drink loads throughout the day which I like to. After the first few days of all inclusive you do get a bit sick and gets very repetitive but just got on with it. There were a lot of flies which put me off too. We were very disappointed in our second week to find they had ran out of bottled water, they'd cling filmed the pizza and breads oven up and they ran out of the ice cream. You could really tell they were coming to end of season which I think is terrible when you've paid the price you don't expect anything different. There was another 2 weeks before closing for season so we were thinking about the poor people still arriving. We ate out a few times at Windy Bay where the food was gorgeous, friendly staff and excellent Value for money.

One final thing I'd like to mention which would be the only reason putting me off going back to Gumbet is the amount of stray dogs!! I do not like dogs and felt so uncomfortable with all the stray dogs around the beach front and making there way up the streets inland a little. I've never known any when I've been on holiday before or to Turkey but there were loads of them which really spoilt my walks around the resort/streets and beachfront.

Overall I am glad I went, had a lovely holiday with lovely company and the hotel did us justice. If it wasn't for the many stray dogs yes I would go back.

Sorry for the long review but hope you found it useful.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Emlou82
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We stayed for 2 weeks from 24th September until 9th October. After arriving very early morning on 25th, we were greeted by one person on reception and a massive queue of people waiting to check in. After finally getting to the reception desk, we filled in the forms given to us by the gentleman that spoke very poor english. We then found out that the rooms we were given were not what had been requested, but we decided to go along with it anyway. We were helped to our rooms by a very helpful man, only to discover they had put my sister, her husband and their baby on the third floor, as well as trying to fit 3 people in to a room with only 2 single beds. When we questioned this, their solution at reception was to try and fit a camp bed in the already cramped room.
We finally got our rooms sorted out at approximately 5am even though we did not get the rooms we had booked, only to find out that they had given the rooms we had booked to other people and tried to fob us off with other rooms, saying they were fully booked and nothing could be done for a week. (it wasn't fully booked but we were told it was)
We got to our change of room to find that we had a view of a moldy white wall right next to the relaxation pool, which at 9 o clock in the morning is not quiet. Not only this, we found that the room was dirty with dirty floors and sheets.
We were stuck with the wrong rooms for a week of our stay, but through our persistent nagging and our reps nagging we were able to get moved to the room we were originally meant to have.
The food can only be described as being poor. Not a wide selection at all, and the meat was very rarely cooked properly, many times we found chicken and turkey raw. Not only that but there was meant to be an ice cream stand in the dining room for all inclusive, but this was removed before the end of our stay.
The waiting staff were hit and miss, some of the staff were more than helpful, others were happy to leave the tables dirty and messy.
The drinks are given in small glasses in the dining room meaning you have to make several trips to get drinks.
The bar was better with their drinks, in that you get given more in a cup, however, the bar is very smelly due to the drains.
The pool and generally clenliness of the hotel is pretty good.
There are no activities or entertainment to speak of, so all of the kids occupy the pools during the day which means they can get quite crowded.
The surrounding area is fabulous and there are several places to eat out around the hotel. One place is along the beach called Windy Bay. The food is absolutely beautiful there as this is where we spent our last couple of days eating due to the food being so poor.
On the whole it wouldn't be such a bad holiday if it wasn't for the fact we had paid so much, if it were cheaper it would be what you paid for, but as it was fairly expensive I feel massively let down by it!

Room Tip: rooms nearer the pool - they are away from the road and have better views.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank SarahJS861
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Me and my family stayed here for a fortnight from 24th September until 9th October.

This hotel is not a new build. The building itself was built a number of years ago but only finished off in June this year. It shows!!!

We arrived at 1.30am and as there was only one member of staff on it took us until 4am to get to our rooms (wrong ones). The member of staff had poor English and not a clue what he was doing. We were allocated the wrong rooms on arrival. We were given a very small room with twin beds but there were 3 of us! We were then given a different room under the tunnel away from the main hotel. As I have walking difficulties I was unable to make the very steep slope under the tunnel so my youngest daughter had to share this room with my other daughter and her partner (not ideal as they are a young couple in love lol).

The rooms on the other side of the road under the tunnel are disgusting. They either have views of a dirty white brick wall with no sunlight or the road. This is not acceptable.

When I complained the next morning to Jonny the useless rep all he could say was that the booking was made by the travel agent and they were at fault for the wrong allocation of rooms so we would have to complain to them. When my daughter explained that she was the travel agent that had made the booking his face was a picture and he started to back track. It was hilarious to see. It seems that the majority of guest that arrived at the same time as us were allocated the wrong rooms. I wonder if this was down to the poor English and incompetence of the receptionist that hadn't got a clue what he was doing.

We were finally given the correct room a week later but I must say that the move was painless and the staff were good.

There are a number of snagging issues all over the complex and some of them have caused injury to guests. broken tiles and edging stones in the pools and very uneven block paving and paving that hasn't been finished to an adequate standard.

Having said that the pools and slides were a bonus.

The food was extremely mundane and some of it was under cooked and I'm surprised there wasn't outbreaks of food poisoning! Breakfast was what you can expect from a Muslim country so we have no complaints there except that pastries and jam would have been nice. Also, sprouts and chips were on the breakfast menu...... most odd!

After discovering that the chicken was undercooked we no longer trusted the food, which consisted of chicken and turkey everyday. There was ice cream in the first week but this was removed in our second week with no explanation. I can only guess that it was the end of the season and they couldn't be bothered to provide it any longer.

By the end of the fortnight we were eating out as we couldn't face it as even my husband who eats anything wouldn't eat there.

We didn't let this spoil our holiday though and made the most of the weather.

I hope that they improve and get it right next season or I would recommend that Thomson/First Choice stop using them as it will give them a bad name.

Although the hotel is in a great location we will not be going back !!!

Room Tip: must stay in the main building.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank truthhurtsBirmingham
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Me and my husband stayed here for a week all inclusive from 10th to 17th September.
We arrived the early hours on the Monday morning and were greeted by 2 lovely reception staff. Very helpful and very polite. We checked in and were then taken to our room. The room was lovely and spacious and very clean. We couldn't believe it, we'd only been in the room for a few hours that first day and when we arrived back at our room later that afternoon they'd already done 'housekeeping'. This is the only positive. The rest is terrible. The food.... Nasty!! The omelettes and meat are undercooked/ raw. There were flies all over the breads, fruit and salads. If you like chips and rice you'll be ok. We ate in the restaurant 4 times rest of the time we ate out in Gumbet. There are some lovely restaurants and very reasonably priced. Go try the Red Dragon or the Columbian yum yum. So the bar.... That's a joke too. The bar in the restaurant serves drinks in what id describe as a 'kids tumbler' so your up and down getting drinks all the time. The pool bar serves bigger drinks mostly in paper cups but it smells like a sewer it makes you feel sick. The entertainment is an absolute joke. There is absolutely nothing and absolutely nothing for kids. They would be board stupid. There is music been played during day then silence at night???
If I'm honest I think if your self catering or half board you get better treatment and bigger glasses to drink from (because your paying for them!!). If your all inclusive they don't care. I just think a brand new hotel for 2012 it's a very very disappointing start.
Look we're far from snobs, we always go All inclusive wherever we go and have been to basic 3 star resorts. But this is not worthy of 3 starts and the biggest laugh is Thomson have this in the 2013 brochure as a 4 star!!
Honestly please save you money and
don't come to this hotel, or if you do don't go all inclusive and don't bring kids!!!!

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank Chaffeygaga
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We were allocated this hotel after Thomson stopped dealing with our original choice. The less said about this the better. Except to say they were less than helpful.
Flights were ok . very strict on weight allowance which causes a lot of amusement.
On arrival we were dumped at the front of reception which in the dark looked alright.There was a queue to check in which seemed to take forever, considering they really did not have a lot to tell you. As we had booked astwo couples we had requested rooms together this was not to be. Wen we asked if this could be arranged we were told the hotal was full! And so to our rooms, down two flights of stairs, through a tunnel, up a hill, up another hill, up two flights of stairs and here we were. Rooms are quite modern, its a new hotel, we had a faily room? A double bed and a set of bunks. The room was very small so I dread to think how a family would cope,my husband and I kept tripping over each other. The towels were changed every day, however he bed wasnot changed until the day before we left. Considering the floor was never swept or mopped the bottom of the sheets were filthy.
The food was alright. Breakfast was fresh cooked omlettes if you were prepared to wait in a queue. Chips if all else failed. Lunch and eveing meal also ok always someting to eat, meat and veg,Turkish style.
The pool(main) was also fine. We had no problem finding beds together. The drinks here were also fine, i they listened to your order. We had some weird combinations as they just didn,t listen and gave you their version. The toilets at the pool were however disgusting. Were they ever cleaned? Quiet pool was just that. Quiet. Very windy too, umberellas kept blowing over, suprised there not a big accident.We did not use the beach it is really dirty. Covered in rubbish and ciggarette butts.
Entertainment. Non existent. Take cards or dominoes or both.Turksh dancing on one night but thats about it.
The hotel is well positioned. Out the front a short walk and your next to shops and bars. Out the back towards the beach bar/restaurants. We did eat out a couple of nights. A nice change to have a steak instead of the hotel food.
All in all an alright hotel. I would consider going back in a cople of years to see if they have ironed out all the new issues.Do not go if you have mobility issues.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank uztwo020385
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We were in this hotel from September 14 till September 21 (two girls). In our travel agency we paid extra to stay in the Main building and so we lived on the 3d floor right over the restaurant. For some reason they gave us a family suite, though we didn't pay for that, anyway it was nice:)The room was new and clean and spacious - we liked it very much!
The food and drinks were average, as usual in "all inclusive" system hotels in Turkey, Egypt and Tunisia.
We sent most of our time near the sea, so i've got nothing to say about the pools. The beach was a bit dirty, but the sea was ok. In comparison with other Gumbet beaches, this one is not that bad at all.
In general we enjoyed our vacation in this hotel and i could recommend it to everybody (if you don't have any mobility problems). Wouldn't go back only because I prefer staying in new places every year.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends