“Value for Price”

Ranked #70 of 100 Hotels in Gumbet
Wales
“Value for Price”
Reviewed February 2, 2012

I can sort of understand people writting some negative things about this hotel, but I'm not being funny, what do you expect for the price and a hotel which is listed in the club 1830 magazine!

I went on a girls holiday in September 2011. Exactly what we needed, a place to crash at night. During the day, there were sun loungers, cushions and bean bags around the pool which, if I have to be perfectly honest, was the comfiest sunbathing experience I have ever had!!! The pool was a good size considering how many people were there when we stayed, and the bar next to the pool provided good quality drinks and cocktails. There is a pool table and a ping pong table, and a sort of gym outside ( no cardio just weights). The rooms were ok, very very basic, but they were clean and cleaned often by the staff.
It is a family run hotel, and it was a lovely touch, as we got to know the staff and they were so friendly. They all came to say good bye and give us a cuddle when we left, and some of the girls from the group still talk to some of them today.
If you go with an open mind bearing in mind that it is a low star hotel, you will have a good time. The breakfast is as people have continuously moaned about on here, tomatoes, cucumber, cheese, egg, fresh bread, jam, coffee and tea, but it was nice, I was up at 7.30 every morning excited for this breakfast, and after coming home, I missed it! If you want you fatty breakfast, you can pay about 3lira, and they cook you what you want.

All the bad reviews are just negative people looking for bad things, because for the price you shouldn't complain. If you want luxury paradise, don't go, if you want a cheap and cheerful holiday, this is perfect for the price.

Room Tip: the rooms to the left as you go down the stairs towards the pool are nicer
4 Thank Medi90

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
wales
Reviewed January 3, 2012

stayed in this hotel in august, and me and my friend stupidly booked the holiday before checking reviews! soon as we did we were starting to dread the holiday! on arrival we could of cried! the room stank of damp and was full of it! bedding all stained lights and fittings all hanging off, and the "bathroom" dont even go there!, we demended a different room straight away as i wouldnt let my worst enemy stay in that.

the new room was still a s**thole but we got on with it! overall the hotel, and the staff were appalling, and extremely rude oh and dont bother giving them cds everyone was asking them to change their AWFUL music, but they thought it was funny to watch us suffer playing the same crappy songs over and over, just awful i cant slate this hotel enough, i cant believe it hasnt been shut down.

bottom line gumbet great (apart from the men who don't seem to understand the meaning of the word NO!!!) hotel appalling, awful outrageous, needs shutting down!

people we met there great and made the holiday but please if you want to have a relaxing holiday and actually feel comfortable and that your stuff will not get robbed DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank Usernametaken90

Travelers are raving about these Gumbet hotels

Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 17, 2011

Ok, so me and my pal booked our vacation last minute for under £100 so we were'nt expecting the Hilton. Needless to say, we were less than satisfied with our accommodation.
As we came out of the airport, we were greeted by an over-enthusiastic rep who wore an ENORMOUS bow in her hair that we both couldnt take our eyes off of.... it was huge.
Anywho, on the coach we sat at the front... (big mistake). This girl was constantly in our faces (with her bow) asking us all these questions when all we wanted to do was [---] sleep.
The driver could of killed us numerous of times. The hills were horrible (and im not just talking about TV series). They were STEEP!
By some strange miracle, we made it safely back the hotel. It was ... a house. With a dog. A big dog... that bit.
Bottom line is just watch out for the bow. You can see it coming. It flops when she's happy and taking your money.
[--]

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank sophiemoomaker
Fethiye, Turkey
Reviewed November 10, 2011

My husband had to go to Bodrum for business. We decided to make a bit of a trip of it and we decided I'd go with him and we would spend the night. I had been to Bodrum before he hadn't and we decided we would stay in Gumbet. It was very last minute so we couldn't book anything on line before we travelled. We were very surprised to find so many hotels closed already even though it was only the first week in October - we called at a few and got some mixed responses - no rooms, hotel closing, wouldn't let us stay just one night - eventually we came upon the Can Hotel in a side street - it looked OK and it is my husbands mother maiden name so we decided it must be fate.

Um...nope...........in it's favour the views across Gumbet were pretty but not specatacular - the room was basic to say the least. The bathroom was the dirtiest of any bathroom I have ever seen - it was the quickest shower in history - the beds were uncomfortable. Breakfast looked great from a distance but was very poor quality and not helped by the number of ants crawling all over it. I had planned a swim before we left but after seeing the bathroom and food area decided that it would be one risk too many.

I really can't recommend - I guess if you were going you would have to drink a lot and then maybe it wouldn't matter - not for the sober or hygeine conscious traveller. They would not be able to pay me enough to stay there again.

Room Tip: Book another hotel
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2011

Myself and 8 other friends have just got back from what was a awesome 2 weeks in gumbet. However the same can't be said for Hotel Can. The only pros i can find about this hotel was the location and the Reps from club 18-30, especially Christopher 'Chase' Jowsey who was a great lad with exceptional banter which was appreciated by a number of my mates!

The hotel was in first sight nice. looked like a nice pool area and the staff seemed freindly. But when we arrived in early tuesday morning we were told to get air con and safety boxes but we all thought better off it, which in hindsight now was a mistake. The bar staff were genuinely very creepy towards the girls and often over the top with the lads in my group. The food was in one word, crap. Over priced and often of a very cheap quality and usually served cold. The bar staff got ver upset and angry should you take ANY food into the hotel from outside. hoever we managed to 'smuggle' some contriband into the hotel! During the two weeks many off us in the group thought we may have had some off our money taken but thought nahhhh this can't be happening. Until the last sunday afternoon, the day before we left.

It was then when i accused the cleaner of stealing from me and my friends when 'cleaning' our rooms, which in itself was criminal (only toilet bin got emptied and sheets and towels not changed just folded and refitted to the bedding). i had a sealed envelope with euros opened and stolen and my British money taken. my friends had a total of 250 Turkish Lira stolen. the manageress sat with me and went through cctv and it was clear our thought were correct. A wild goose chase occured then after with the cleaner (who may i state actually admitted to me that she stole my money and offered to give it back before i mentioned everyone else's stolen money) got striped searched and had her room searched with no money to be found. strange when she had offered me my money back. However the hotel members said they belived us and whilst this occured many other hotel guests admitted to having things stolen but nothing was ever resolved and as a result one off my friends had to spend our last day without a penny to her name.

Seriously people this is not a biased opinion just because us 9 experienced theft, the general opinion within the group was that we had wished we booked something better for something as little as £30 extra each when booking the holiday. The rooms were shocking and the food was horrid. would recommend Divers Garden restuarant as it was well priced, beautiful setting and delicious food!!

Don't be lured in by the cheap price as in this case, to con a well known phrase, you get what you pay for.......in this case F**K ALL!!!

Avoid at all costs!!

Room Tip: Better off sleeping outside, rooms are disgusting and filthy and sheets never get cleaned. My tip: S...
5 Thank Daniel M
Reviewed September 26, 2011

My partner and I are in our late twenties however booked this hotel with club 18-30 as it was cheap. The hotel has a mixture of guests however dont stay here if you want peace and quiet. We are not quiet by any means but other guests did party and drink through the night and this would continue until 05:00.

We were given a basic room and I have previously read how the rooms were damaged and untidy. Ours was fine but this might have been one of the better rooms. We did have to ask for our towels and bedding to be changed.

The shower had a mind of it's own and was either freezing or extremely hot!

The location of this hotel is excerllent, the pool is nice and the staff friendly. We had no problems but kept our cases locked. Other guests had money stolen from their rooms when we were there but the deposit boxes are really cheap.

This hotel is fine if you want a cheap holiday and I was really worried after reading reviews. They say you cannot bring food or drink in but we did, with no problems.

Drinks and food are double what u would pay in a shop in town so we bought the odd one before we went out to keep the owners happy.

The red dragon and divers restaurant were very good. Excellent food and staff very friendly( they don't hassle you to go in). Drinks and food can also be haggled for. Over all pleased for what we paid

• Stayed September 2011
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2011

Me and 8 friends have just got back from this hotel. When we got there at 9am we arrived to some people outside telling us how bad our rooms were going to be but nothing could have prepared us. When we walked in we found blood on the walls, brown marks and blood all over our sheets, dirty floor, windows that didn't open and do not even get my started on bathroom (if you can call it that!!)

We demanded our bedding to be changed as soon as we saw it which the staff did not seem happy about but i would not make my worst enemy stop in that room the way we found it! All week we were complaining that our toilet did not flush but still it was never fixed. Luckily we were able to use our friends next door. Our room was cleaned only once whilst we were there, we ended up having to clean it ourselves which is unexceptable!!

Fortunately me and my friends booked with the 18-30's company which allowed us to have a great time as we met some amazing friends who were also staying in the hotel and Gumber (bar street) was a great night out!

The outside and pool area is not too bad and the big cushions are very comfy to sleep and sunbathe on.

We booked for bed and breakfast but i was nearly sick when i saw the breakfast as it was covered in insects and it was hard break, cucumber and tomatoe, oh and soggy cereal.

The staff are not friendly or helpful so we didn't even bother trying to ask for their help.

After a few days we accepted that things were not going to improve so we just got on with it and spent as little time as possible in the hotel.

Drinks are expensive in the hotel, food is ok just do not eat the fried eggs as my friends were unwell from them not being cooked properly.

The best resteraunt in Gumber is China Town or Avaliva (i think) just down from the hotel..both great value too!

The beach is very nice with good lively bars and great watersport fun.

Boat trips are recommended, bars such as shakers, outback, club mood etc GREAT!

Watch out for the turkish men .. they do not understand/except the word 'NO!'

I don't normally complain on my reviews and moaning ones normally really annoy me but this hotel really does need to be closed down or have a lot of money doing it up!

Go to Gumbet-it is great especially for young adults full of amazing people, cheap drinks and food and very hot! :)

1 Thank Cluroe14