“AVOID !!! Pay for a better hotel !”
Review of Shark Club

Shark Club
Ranked #7 of 101 Hotels in Gumbet
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Okay This hotel is a joke … I.E its not a 4 star hotel in turkey I Would say more 3 if that …. I was really Shocked when me and my husband arrived on the 13th of oct …. After a long flight 4 hours the last thing you want is to be messed about Well that’s what we got they changed are rooms and then made us wait !!!! After waiting we walked to are rooms which I would call there club rooms maybe as they are not in the main hotel. The Room. Fine was clean very up to date nothing wrong with it intil I walked outside to have a fag … Joke Really I was meet was a dirty smelly overgrown bit of dirt / grass we had no chairs to sit down on and while smoking outside I had someone flick over a fag frm the pool area and hit me and brunt my finger JOKE! … So my husband went to to ask to change room … Answer no sorry we have no rooms.. There was no way the hotel was full at all.. So after this I was already in tears I wanted to get on a plan then and there to leave ! .. After having a sleep I felt better and was ready to give it another go so after getting dressed ready to go out I went outside for a fag again .. Guess what !!! Someone threw there fag over and it brunt a whole in my Dress ! Well I could go on forever about this hotel they do not care about you at all … your treated like a piece of S*&T if u ask me. Oz kept coming up to us after telling him 12 times we didn’t want a Turkish bath … and then had the cheek to say he was doing as a deal at 35 quid each .. I love how they can just mug u off like that ! The food .. Was okay but stay away from meats if im honest they kept re-cooking stuff from lunch and just severing it a sauce Gross so most times we ate out in the windmill right next to the hotel it was lovely and if it wasn’t for that place I think I would have booked flights home. Also some staff would go in before you and eat which I thought was a lil rude if u ask me .. The drinks are very watered down and yes u do need to go up ur self from 10pm which is silly if u had a family ,,,Pool always seemed cleaned but I guess because nobody was ever init .. Sun lounges there was loads but I guess this was because it was late oct. So Yes a cheap hoilday but turned into a very dear one with eating out and drinking out , So I would save ur money and book somewhere else and pay the lil extra for it I wish I had ! This is just my experience in this hotel and im just trying to be honest as poss … Also booking late Room don’t bother £30 for a extra 4 hours and then while we was here some people was saying they had paid less or more and some people was aloud there room til 6 I just feel like that hotel runnied our holiday and I would NEVER go back even if someone said I could go for free … To be brunt and treated like dirt no thank you also … if u get sent to the bottom rooms in the clubrooms do not leave ur door open we had cats come in and out the room all the time trying to lay on the bed and when picking them up they was trying to attack you ! I Have no idea where these people booked there holiday but mine was not that cheap and I defo did not get what I paid for !!! So all in all stay away from this place !”

4  Thank Helen L

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I felt i had to write a review it was that bad!!!
From when we arrived the porter took us to our room and asked for money and stood and waited,what a check.i always tip but you shouldnt be asked for it.
The room was clean, had a fridge,free air con,had to pay for the safe which was £35 pounds for 2 weeks.the balcony was only big enough to stand on,couldnt get a chair on it.you would need to take a kettle if you want hot drinks in your room.
Round the pool was kept clean and tidy.on our first day "ozzy" came to speak to us trying to sell a turksih bath and massage,we didnt have couse you can get cheaper out side.after that he didnt speak.all hi did was walk round or sit around smoking as did alot of the staff.
Talking of the staff as other people have said they were the most miserable i have ever known.apart from when they new you was going home then they were all smiles ,think they thought they would get tips ,one thing that got alot of people angery was mehmet the resturant manager,got is staff to move other peoples towels of there sun beds so he could save sunbeds for 3 girls who he liked,sorry this was so bad.as a manager he should lead by example!!!
While i was there i was very ill and nearliy ended up in hospiltal ,as agian were mant people at the same time.i put this down to the food,it was served luke warm,had to see the hotel docter,i had to write a report with the thomson rep luke.i was ill for 7 days out of 14 days of my holiday.the rest of the time we eat out as i didnt trust the hotel.i am not a fussy eater at all and i struggled even at breakfast.they did fried eggs2 mornings i have never seen any thing like it you couldnt eat them thsy were awfull.eat at the windmill,red dragon,gumbet house was our fav.
The entertainment,WHAT enterainment they sat round smoking or playing batgamion.the night time was that bad we went out.this was also due to them not having enough seating at night time for every body,some people having to sit on sun beds!!
I have been going to turkey for 16 years and this is the worst holiday i have ever had.i have never had to write a bad review before,but felt i had to,dont waste your money.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank alisonhartley
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We spent a week at the Shark Club Hotel from 10th October. We had read previous reviews and were willing to make up our own mind and provide a review after our stay.

We were given a room which overlooked and was level to the bar seating area and had the smallest balcony ever which was not wide enough to fit a chair on (this appeared to be what a lot of rooms had). In the evening it was noisy with no privacy. Next day we requested a move and were given a room with a sea view with a decent sized shared balcony. The front facing rooms encounter a bit of noise from Bar Street at night but this was all but silenced by closing the patio doors.

Aircon was free and a safe was available for 20 euros a week. Beach towels could be rented for 5 euros. There is a very small shop by the pool selling essentials. Wifi was free. Fridge & tv in rooms. Hairdryer in bathroom. Take a kettle if you want a decent cuppa in your room.

I agree with some points from other reviews that the hotel and rooms are very clean however the majority of the staff seemed fed up and rather miserable. As it was quite late in the season, sunbeds were always available however there was no daytime entertainment and evening entertainment consisted of an act for 20 minutes. Local alcoholic and soft drinks are free from 10am until 11pm but quality is poor and we couldn't understand the 1 drink per person rule after 10pm as it created a queue. Food was poor. There was not much variety and was luke-warm at best. Even workers outside restaurants in Bar Street would say 'chicken' when they saw our hotel wristbands. We ate out just about all of the time as prices are so cheap and menus so varied. There was a chap from the Shanghai Restaurant walking around the hotel drumming up business so that's got to say something about the hotel food. We would recommend The Parrot, Uncle Festers and the Windmill. Check out Chico's for cocktails.

The pool is rather small and there is a childrens pool but this is right next to the outdoor seating area so is subject to cigarette smoke. There was no childrens play area. If you wanted to relax away from the pool, there is the roof terrace on top of the main building however we recommend that this area should be adults only as the walls and railings were quite low.

All in all, a reasonable hotel which could be easily made so much better with a more varied menu with hot food, getting rid of the 1 drink at 10pm rule and better quality drinks. We would return to Gumbet, but unless improvements were made, not to the Shark Club hotel.

Room Tip: Best rooms at front with sea view.
3  Thank AdeH1964
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Just got back from 8 days in Gumbet staying at the Shark Club as a couple and i have to say i think some of the reviews on here are very unfair and fussy. You get what you pay for and I think a little bit more.

First thing i noticed on arrival was how clean it was, we were quickly shown to our rooms and weren't asked for a tip which surprised me.

The room was spacious and very clean, amenities included massive bed, hairdryer, TV, Air con, bathroom with excellent shower, 2 x drawers, wardrobe (with only 3 coat hangers!), lots of mirrors and plug sockets etc etc. No complaints about the room apart from its location in the hotel, our "balcony" was right near the bar which had bloody awful evening entertainment, and very loud music which wasnt ideal if we wanted an early night...it finished around 11pm though so wasnt too bad.

The safe was about 51TL for the week i think, not too bad but we realised we really could have just worked it out ourselves and not paid for it...doh.

AWFUL wifi at peak times, it worked ok late at night/very early morning, otherwise it was beyond poor. Do not expect to be able to check emails frequently/check in with work at this hotel. But then again, it is supposed to be a holiday!

The food i was absolutely dreading after reading all the reviews on here but i was pleasantly surprised. I am not sure what people expect when they are in a different country and at a pretty cheap hotel all inclusive, but i would say this is the best food ive experienced at an AI. Mainly things like chicken, turkey, meatballs, fish, chips, wedges, LOTS of salad/coleslaw/pasta etc, pretty good for any vegetarians! Breakfast wasn't as good but if you cant be without a traditional english fry up for a few days then stay at home. They had lots of cereal, salads, toast and jams, and boiled eggs!

Its good to mix things up and eat out though, i highly recommend The Windmill, which was just a few metres down the road on the way to the strip.

I didnt really drink that much at the hotel, the vodka i had was nice enough, as was the beer, the wine i didnt rate much!

The pool was FREEZING but very clean and enjoyable once you were used to it! Would be good if they could whack it up by a few degrees though. No problem finding sunbeds, but it is October!

The reception staff were very helpful and polite apart from one, so much so we avoided asking reception for anything if they were working that shift. The other general staff seemed ok, not very interested in us to be honest but helpful enough when asked. I think there was a bit of a language barrier! "Ozzy" was friendly on the first day but then seemed a bit pissed off when we never turned up for a Turkish bath from him. £25 seemed expensive for one when there are special trips you can do for cheaper! Some excursion places were even offering them for free when you booked another trip.

The location of the hotel was excellent, gorgeous beach about 5 mins walk away with loads of bars and sun loungers which you can use if you buy a drink. Amazing to be lounging in the sun whilst being brought very reasonably priced ice cold beers and pina coladas! Swimming in the sea was a lot of fun and probably warmer than the pool!

We walked to Bodrum Castle and the Mausoleum one day which took about 1.5 hours, the cab back was about £5.

The hotel is very close to bar strip, we went out a couple of times which was good fun, about a fiver for a vodka coke at the dance-type clubs but its free pour so you probably get more than you would in UK. Its true when people say you can't hear the strip from the hotel, weird but you really cant.

Its practically end of season now, so it wasn't too crowded but just crowded enough not to feel silly if you fancied a dance.

Overall a fantastic holiday and an excellent hotel (except the wifi) for the money we paid.

Room Tip: Get a room facing away from the bar/pool if you don't want noise.
2  Thank Diana M
Reviewed October 21, 2013

After reading the reviews about the food at this hotel, I was prepared. However, I wasn't prepared enough as the food was awful, which is not what you want when you have paid for all inclusive. What was for dinner, ended up also being for breakfast the following day or in a salad at lunchtime! A couple of mornings for breakfast, all I could eat was bread and jam! On the plus side this did mean that we had to eat out and we found some fantastic restaurants and luckily it wasn't very expensive.
I cannot fault the hotel itself. It was spotlessly clean and the bedroom was very comfortable and cleaned daily. The staff were all very sweet.
We loved Gumbet and will definitely be returning, but unfortunately not to this hotel.

1  Thank Paula1907
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We have been all over on holıdays and I may say thıs ıs the most mıserable of staff I have ever came across, very very clean hotel clean towels everyday beds changed everyday ıf you wanted food not bad there ıs always somethıng for everyone, but not the rıtz, one of the staff ROBIN kıcked a kıtten around the pool so hard ıt went up ınto the aır and ınto the pool, wıcked horrıble person and wasnt happy when we told hım what we thought of hım, no entertaınment at all through the day the entertaınment man just played backgammon all day wıth other turkısh people, was entertaınment twıce on a nıght tıme durıng our 1 week stay. would defo not go back, ıgnore at your perıl

Reviewed October 20, 2013

spotless the staff never stop cleaning room perfect and shower to die for . but on the other hand the food was awful ok if you like CHICKEN !!!! and the bar !!! i think weight and measures would have a birthday there, take bottle with you .